AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: *done* Project: LED Flasher, Effective and CHEAP!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/03/2005 09:42 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/03/2005 09:42 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Rico
Voodoo Programmer

Ever seen one of these?

Well I had one laying around... SO I decided to have fun with it, and build something snazzy for my PC. All to be mounted on a 5.25in drive bay cover /biggrin.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='biggrin.gif' /> /biggrin.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='biggrin.gif' />.

This is the idea I had.
(<- switch in this corner)
5 LEDS in a line, with a normally open push button switch (to cycles through the led flashing sequences).

The flasher has 6 different flashing sequences, as follows.
(1 represents on, 0 off)
#1.) 1 1 1 1 1 (all leds on)
#2.) 1 1 1 1 1 (leds strobe at a moderate speed)
#3.) 1 1 1 1 1 (leds strobe at a slow rate)
#4.) 0 0 1 0 0 -> 0 1 0 1 0 -> 1 0 0 0 1 -> repeat (at a moderate rate)
#5.) 1 0 0 0 1 -> 0 1 0 1 0 -> 0 0 1 0 0 -> repeat (basically inverse of #4, same speed)
#6.) 0 0 1 0 0 -> 0 1 0 1 0 -> 1 0 0 0 1 -> repeat (same as 4 but very fast)

I chose to use the following led combination (left to right) White Orange White Orange White. Since I like these colours /smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />.

I desoldered the old leds and soldered in wires so I can power the new ones. Then I measured and marked the holes to be drilled in a 5.25in drive bay on the front of my PC.Drilled the holes and put the LEDs in and hot glued them in (yes hot glue is an awesome modders tool /smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />. I drilled a hole for the NOPBS (normally open push button switch) and began a 30min journey with jewlers files to make the hole for the switch fit perfrectly. After that was done I soldered and heat shrunk the solder points for the LEDs and the switch. All is basically said and done... except one thing....POWER

The LEDs need ~3.0 volts (a 3.3V line on a PSU will work perfect), but the only problem is, how to get that power. I think there is a 3.3V line for SATA (Orange colour) but I don't have a female end connector for it. Maybe a resistor? HELP!

The thing is build, I just need power for it. I should have PICs on monday at about 2-3PM, so check back then.

Edit//
I could use the 5V line from the PSU, but the resistor value I should use is somewhat sketchy.
The circuit uses about 200-300mA and at 5V thats R = V/I therefore R = 5/.200 or 5=.300 which yeilds about 25 ohms / 17ohms.

A confirmation would be nice. (5 leds, mfg. specified current draw unknown)

-------------------------
AMD X2 4200+ *** DFI NF4 Ultra-D (modded to SLi-D) *** eVGA 7950GT (with Zalman FC-ZV9)
January 16th was the day life changed... the day I bought WoW
 12/03/2005 10:14 PM

Author Icon
10stagepipelineX10pipelines

You forgot to subtract the voltage difference between the required voltage of 3 volts and the power supply voltage of 5 volts. So here is the correction: 5V-3V = 2V/0.3amps = 6.667 ohms. The resistor value is not critical for this application so it can be anywhere from 5 ohms ~ 10 ohms. The power rating of the resistor is 2v*0.3 amps = 600mW. I would use a about 1 watt resistor or higher.

Opteron 175
2 GB Crucial Value Ram
Asus A8R MVP Deluxe
Gigabyte 7800GT
PCP&C 510 Turbo Cool SLI

Lesson learned: DON'T buy Tyan motherboards.......

12/04/2005 05:58 PM

Author Icon
Rico
Voodoo Programmer

Thanks /biggrin.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='biggrin.gif' />.

Should have pics monday.

AMD X2 4200+ *** DFI NF4 Ultra-D (modded to SLi-D) *** eVGA 7950GT (with Zalman FC-ZV9)
 12/05/2005 06:24 PM

Author Icon
Rico
Voodoo Programmer

Heres all the stuff I used to make this.

Holes laid out, perfectly center.

LEDs in, switch mounted. Ready to go.

Back side of the circuit.

Front shot of case, with circuit mounted.

Angled shot of above.

Lights off, light sequence #1 (as explained above).

I have a movie of all the sequences and right now im looking for a file convertor, and a place to host it. If anyone knows of a hosting place for movies. (It's ~8MB)

12/05/2005 07:07 PM

Author Icon
Rico
Voodoo Programmer

video
http://media.putfile.com/frontled1111' ">http://media.putfile.com/frontled1111

12/05/2005 08:29 PM

Author Icon
landlord

i really really like the slow moving inward led's!!!

when you turn them on high peed it would be good for a party!

you did a great job, looks very professional!

Favorite Quotes: "NOPE. better reformat. probably the dreaded "WINDOWS" virus." - nolano
"RID[content edited]! lol. so funny how the filter blocks out the [content edited] part." - nolano
 12/05/2005 09:03 PM

Author Icon
Rico
Voodoo Programmer

Thanks,

The wiring from the back does look bad, but you can't see it much if at all. If I did a plexi case I don't think I'd make it through it. I can't really stand seeing that many wires.

12/05/2005 09:08 PM

Author Icon
landlord

QUOTE(Rico @ Dec 5 2005, 08:03 PM)Thanks,

The wiring from the back does look bad, but you can't see it much if at all. If I did a plexi case I don't think I'd make it through it. I can't really stand seeing that many wires.
[right][snapback]561144[/snapback][/right]

oh yeah, i see it now, but it looks really good installed, and what people cant see wont hurt them. /wink.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='wink.gif' />

Favorite Quotes: "NOPE. better reformat. probably the dreaded "WINDOWS" virus." - nolano
"RID[content edited]! lol. so funny how the filter blocks out the [content edited] part." - nolano
 12/08/2005 11:38 PM

Author Icon
thuglife

pretty kool , the video shows the big part of it...
 12/11/2005 01:03 PM

Author Icon
shant

yeah it's prety cool but i would of ripped it out lol it would annoy me so bad lol /tongue.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='tongue.gif' /> but i like the ideal /wink.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='wink.gif' /> i would multipie the light by adding more and to be lowering the voltage on each of them and put them all over the pc /biggrin.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='biggrin.gif' /> i would of put them all white and make a stob light show inside of the pc /laugh.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='laugh.gif' /> well i have a question and im serious about it ... i have a strob light and would like to put it into the pc case but it the voltage dangerous for the pc part ? maybe it will cause the pc to crash ? cuz it eats up alot of voltage maybe 50,000v in one shot

let me know guys /smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />

AquaMark3 : 89,055 3DMark05 : 8,070 3DMark03 : 17,093 3DMark2
 12/25/2005 05:18 AM

Author Icon
Carlz0r

QUOTE(shant @ Dec 11 2005, 10:03 AM)yeah it's prety cool but i would of ripped it out lol it would annoy me so bad lol  /tongue.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='tongue.gif' /> but i like the ideal  /wink.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='wink.gif' /> i would multipie the light by adding more and to be lowering the voltage on each of them and put them all over the pc  /biggrin.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='biggrin.gif' /> i would of put them all white and make a stob light show inside of the pc  /laugh.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='laugh.gif' /> well i have a question and im serious about it ... i have a strob light and would like to put it into the pc case but it the voltage dangerous for the pc part ? maybe it will cause the pc to crash ? cuz it eats up alot of voltage maybe 50,000v in one shot
let me know guys  /smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />
[right][snapback]564993[/snapback][/right]

Just make an LED strobelight, they're not that hard. Order a couple of white THC3 led's from www.lsdiodes.com I got some and theyre super bright even on only two AA batteries.

The fanboyism issue got worse. I'm gone (for now) got better again, I'm occasionally back.<br><br>Don't be stupid. Conroe > K8L SAYS WHO? K8L > Conroe SAYS WHO? No Benches = No Comparision<br>PortalForums Admin
 12/25/2005 06:39 PM

Author Icon
shant

QUOTE(Carlz0r @ Dec 25 2005, 05:18 AM)Just make an LED strobelight, they're not that hard. Order a couple of white THC3 led's from www.lsdiodes.com I got some and theyre super bright even on only two AA batteries.
[right][snapback]574319[/snapback][/right]

nah i was thinking is 50,000v in one shot to strong and may cose a radiation or something like it ... basacly can i run a light that strong next to my mobo ? and other electronic stuff ????

thanks /wink.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='wink.gif' />

12/25/2005 08:14 PM

Author Icon
Carlz0r

QUOTE(shant @ Dec 25 2005, 03:39 PM)nah i was thinking is 50,000v in one shot to strong and may cose a radiation or something like it ... basacly can i run a light that strong next to my mobo ? and other electronic stuff ????

thanks  /wink.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='wink.gif' />
[right][snapback]574585[/snapback][/right]

I don't know whether or not it would effect it, but for safety and size I would definitely recommend using the leds. The total cost would probably be around $20 for the whole circuit and parts.

The fanboyism issue got worse. I'm gone (for now) got better again, I'm occasionally back.<br><br>Don't be stupid. Conroe > K8L SAYS WHO? K8L > Conroe SAYS WHO? No Benches = No Comparision<br>PortalForums Admin
 12/25/2005 11:06 PM

Author Icon
shant

QUOTE(Carlz0r @ Dec 25 2005, 08:14 PM)I don't know whether or not it would effect it, but for safety and size I would definitely recommend using the leds. The total cost would probably be around $20 for the whole circuit and parts.
[right][snapback]574644[/snapback][/right]

bah if i go to addison i could pay 2 or 3 $ and have the hole thing lolll /tongue.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='tongue.gif' />

here man i know your into electronic stuff ... im sure you'l like this link ! /smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />

https://addison-electronique.com/catalog/

its the best store in the world lol just joking but seriously i love that store and you can't beat the prices ! /laugh.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='laugh.gif' />

12/28/2005 07:38 PM

Author Icon
Carlz0r

QUOTE(shant @ Dec 25 2005, 08:06 PM)bah if i go to addison i could pay 2 or 3 $ and have the hole thing lolll  /tongue.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='tongue.gif' />

here man i know your into electronic stuff ... im sure you'l like this link !  /smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />

https://addison-electronique.com/catalog/

its the best store in the world lol just joking but seriously i love that store and you can't beat the prices !  /laugh.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='laugh.gif' />
[right][snapback]574770[/snapback][/right]

Perfect! That was the exact kind of online store I was just looking for to source some parts for my voltmods /biggrin.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='biggrin.gif' />

01/02/2006 10:11 PM

Author Icon
MikeyPez

QUOTE(Rico @ Dec 5 2005, 07:07 PM)video
http://media.putfile.com/frontled1111' ">http://media.putfile.com/frontled1111
[right][snapback]561080[/snapback][/right]

Dude that looks awesome!

I am with Landlord, the slow mo one going in looks the best. How does it look with the door closed?

Vinatge AMD at SocketAplus
A single jpeg will make fat little rich kids cry. That is pretty powerful! - AndrewZorn
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information