Topic Title: Next Release: Need For Speed:Shift
Topic Summary: Next release of need for speed series
Created On: 07/14/2009 10:58 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 4 5 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/14/2009 10:58 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
zas

UK, March 4, 2009 - The Need for Speed franchise has been showing its age of late, displaying signs of senility as it erratically shifts genres and suffers multiple personality disorder. One year we're served an open world pursuit-based game, the next the action's confined to circuit racing, and every year the series gets further away from its initial position as the premier driving series. So how do you go about curing such an identity crisis? EA's answer is a little eccentric - you give each different strand its own game. Bizarrely, from the initial evidence it's an approach that seems to have worked. EA is releasing four separate entries into the series this year alone and the first to break cover is Need for Speed Shift, the simulation-minded offshoot that's coming to Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC. Already it's looking like a remarkably assured effort, a game that can confidently pit itself against the likes of GRID and Project Gotham Racing in the race for virtual pole position.
Source:www.ign.com

It seems that it is another ProStreet type simulation game. I always like street racing and last release Undercover was good but not best. What do you think?

-------------------------
http://www.bdplay.com
http://techviewz.blogspot.com
 07/15/2009 02:17 AM

Author Icon
Orn
Titanic Jelly Hammer

quite honestly I hated prostreet but never player undercover, looks like ea is following the TOCA and PGR series instead of going back to the NFS roots
 07/28/2009 04:03 PM

Author Icon
The Rebel
Fanboi

Try Burnout Paradise Orn! I never bothered to play my NFS after I installed it.

AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition
MSI 790FX GD-70
4GB (2x2GB) Kingston DDR3-1333
Palit Radeon HD 4870 1GB Sonic Dual Edition
Western Digital Caviar Green 640 GB HDD
Seagate 40GB HDD
LG DVD-RW w/ lightscribe
Corsair HX520W PSU
Cooler Master RC-690 Chassis

My Fashion/Style blog: http://rebelliousgentleman.blogspot.com
 08/05/2009 05:35 PM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

I didn't mind Pro Street once I got used to the arcade driving feel of it. I've grown more into simulation racing such as the GTR series from SimBin and those are more my style and skill level. Probably because I do actually race in the summer months, and in the winter months it's a good way to keep sharp, at least I think it helps. Though, sometimes it's just fun to mod up a car in Pro Street and wreck the heck out of it, something I can't and won't do in real life, hahaha.

Shift is looking good, though I'm going to most likely have to do some hardware upgrades, so in that case, I'll be holding off till I build my new system, and by then Shift will be old news.

DiRT 2 will coming out a bit later and it's supposed to be DX11 for the PC version, so I'll also be keeping an eye on that. The graphics and style are looking pretty sweet, but it's nice to see EA get more into realistic racing games, like NFS Road & Track SE was back in the day. BTW, I've owned and played every NFS version except Undercover. Maybe this one might bring me back into the franchise.

At the very least, it'll give me an excuse to beat the game in a Porsche, like I usually do, hahaha. Still, my favourite version to date has been NFS: Porsche Unleashed. It was very realistic and detailed for it's time, even down to the sound of the doors and hoods closing, just like the real version of what I have.

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

Do you want a world ranking? Join Team Fusion in Forum Warz 2011!
 08/14/2009 12:14 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

I think NFS has an Identity crisis, everybody always says they're deviating from their roots, and everybody else says they are returning to it.

I've always liked the street race variety from NFS, and I like GRID for organized racing, but I got to say, looking at shift, and comparing it to GRID, it looks promising, can't wait to see the final product and hopefully a demo.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 08/14/2009 12:41 PM

Author Icon
Orn
Titanic Jelly Hammer

I loved GRiD after I played it 4 months after I bought it, my only complain, no qualifying, and I like to duke it out with ravenwest every single time and not just once, and the ninja mode is just crazy, I regularly play on extreme, and my fav nfs of all time?
Hot Pursuit,High stakes, and Porschie
 08/14/2009 12:48 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

Don't forget, Graphically, GRID is just far more superior and awesome looking than any other game I've seen, that's another thing shift looks like it might be able to beat looking at the videos.

Anybody else concerned that this thread was started by a spam advertiser???

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 08/14/2009 08:41 PM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

Maybe. IN any case, I believe I started a thread about Shift a while back when the rumour mill as churning. I think Shift and DiRT 2 will be the racing games of 2009/2010. DiRT 2 is going to be DX11, so we have to racing titles to sort of compare. I really hope Shift is DX10/10.1 or I'm going to be saddened. Oh... and better force feedback support in the game, but I ask this of every racing game. Support the peripherals and force feedback properly.

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

08/14/2009 11:41 PM

Author Icon
neptunose

i love most wanted.. and i will try prostreet ^_^

| just write for my hobby |
 08/15/2009 02:11 AM

Author Icon
Orn
Titanic Jelly Hammer

DIE DIE!!!!
 09/15/2009 09:21 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

Can't keep these silly cars on the road!!!!!! arrghh!!!!!

09/15/2009 09:36 PM

Author Icon
RBR
Case Modder

Are you using a wheel? Newegg is supposed to be shipping my pre-order copy any day now.... I was kinda hoping it would be a good as GRID.

09/15/2009 09:53 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

No, using an Xbox360 controller, and it's much better than GRiD IMO, driving seems much more realistic, and as much as I loved that replay feature of GRiD, It's nice not having it to tempt you. but I do wish they had a similar replay system in Shift so I can at least watch my lap from outside the car like in GRiD.

09/15/2009 10:51 PM

Author Icon
RBR
Case Modder

Good to know it seems more realistic. I can't wait to take it for a drive though I'm sure I'll be rather pathetic at first, lol.

09/16/2009 12:48 AM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

No demo I don't know if my tired old system will run it the way I need it to dominate it... I hope they come out with a demo soon....

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

09/16/2009 01:43 AM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

I got everything maxed on my system, pulling very decent frames, never paid attention to the number of rames, but very very smooth.

09/16/2009 09:13 PM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

IM, if you could give us your thoughts after a few rounds of playing and maybe a screen shot or two, I'd be very appreciative. Since there's no demo, I really don't have much else to go on, and you've played most of the racing titles I have, or very similar ones anyways.

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

09/16/2009 11:35 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

Give me 'till tomorrow for the pics and videos.

So far, all settings maxed, I'm getting 70-80FPS, very smooth game play, a few minor graphical bugs, but nothing annoying.

Sound: Excellent, makes me want to turn the sound up to 11

Gameplay: Driving seems very real to me, I don't race, but it feels more like a car to me than any tother titles I've played. The cars are touchy, and slamming on the accelerator and slamming on the brakes is highly inadvised. (something other games thrive on). The races are a little short for my taste, just got through Tier 1, and most races are only 2 laps, but they are intense laps, the corners, I actually dread getting to them, for some reason I'm a very unwieldy driver in this game.

Career mode, a little off balance. Like I said, I just finished Tier 1 races, but I've already unlocked Tier 2 and Tier 3, I gussif you want to speed through the game and only play a third of the career it's great, otherwise it seems like the "stars" came a little too easy. You need 30 "stars" to unlock Tier 2, and 80 for Tier 3. Tier 4 I think is 150. most races will net you at the very least, 5 stars. but since it doesn't force you to progress to the next tier, it doesn't interfere greatly with game play. Although, I think they should tweak the star requirements some in a patch or something, would definetly add more depth, and frustration to career mode. Right now I think Obama wrote the game, "here, have all the stars you want!!" (sorry, I usually try to keep politics out of here, but that gave me a chuckle )

The AI has spite... if you knock one of the guys off the road, he will hunt you down! about time I say, so it adds a lot of inter-ai-player rivalry to the game, where you say"oh *****, it's that guy!" The AI is also very smart, blocks well, trys to cut around you at opertune moments rather than blindly, drafts, will leave the road if need be, etc.

I do like the player ranking system, you acquire points. points for Agression or Precision driving. How you drive, depends on how the game ranks you, and this affects if the AI will "fear" you, or respect you.

My sister is playing her own campaign, and she is agressive. I'd say 80% agressive, 20% Precision, the driver stay away from her in game, they give her room. They will also have no qualms about throwing her off the track. My account, I've got about 55% Precision, 45% agression, and I get a mix, but mostly, I can get bunched up with other drivers, and drive in a close pack, allows me to draft a little better, and follow them through on the corners. So I reaallly like how the AI seems to respond to your driving style.

I'll get a few pics tomorrow, maybe later tonight, and a fraps video or two.

Hope that helps, but so far, the best $50 I've spent on a game in a loooong time.

09/17/2009 12:36 AM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

Very appreciated. Looks like I'll have to pick this up when harvest is done. The AI responding to if you knock them around hasn't been done since the original NFS: Hot Pursuit. Even then, it was limited to what they could do. Sometimes it was way too aggressive and unfair.

I'm more of a precision driver. I mean, that's the way I do race in real life. You don't mash the pedals. You're always smooth with them because this greatly affects the balance of the car at all times... even with the steering. The smoother you are, the faster you will be and the longer your car will last. One thing I hate is being blocked. Then again, it's one thing to catch a guy, and another thing to pass him/her. You can try to block people, but in most cases it'll throw your line off and cause them to pass you.

I'm excited to try it out anyways. I'll probably have to do some mad OCing though since your setup is about double of what I have. Now all you need is a nice wheel/pedal setup with force feedback and you're set! That'll shave time off your laps. I'm guessing I'll have to work my way up to owning a Porsche in the game, just like every other one, then I can dominate it, haha.

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

09/17/2009 12:57 AM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

Haha, Cayman starts at $110k, Tier 2

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information