Increase font size
Topic Title: WoW not looking so good on a 5770
Topic Summary: I know it's only WoW, but it shouldn't look this bad
Created On: 05/21/2011 01:24 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/21/2011 01:24 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ThePiePieper
Lurker

So i feel that WoW isn't living up to what my rig can do. All my other games run 60+ fps. Dead Space, Portal 2, Mass Effect 2, all look great. But when it comes to WoW, it doesn't look a frame above 30. I've messed with settings, drivers, everything. Anyone else experiance WoW just not looking as good as it should?
I have Ati HD 5770, 8GB RAM, i7 860 core, Windows 7 (64).
 07/22/2011 05:29 AM

Author Icon
Danellos
Lurker

You have a dx11 card. If you are not running WoW in dx11 mode, then you'll not get the best performance that is possible. To run WoW in dx11 mode, just select the correct option in the options menu, or simply add SET gxApi "d3d11" to config.wt'f (open with notepad).

Also, deleting the WT'F and the cache folders will help if you have performance issues as well. Sometimes corrupt data in them can cause performance loss. You will need to reconfigure your addons, however.

Please also note that there are some addons that are known to cause performance issues with WoW no matter how good your rig is.

That aside, you must remember that WoW's engine is very old. Although Blizzard has done their best to keep it working with new hardware and adding new features to it the best they could, you'll never really get the very best performance from it unless they redo their engine completely. They'll unlikely do this any time soon, as what they have now works well enough for most people, and redoing the engine costs an enormous amount of money for them.

-------------------------
AMD Phenom II 1100T x6 Black Edition Processor
Apacer 8GB 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM
Nvidia GT240 (1GB GDDR5 VRAM)
MSI 785GM -E51 motherboard
720W Gigabyte PSU
500GB Seagate 7200rpm HDD
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit / Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit
 08/22/2011 10:57 PM

Author Icon
edalbkrad

It wont matter how fast your pc is, FPS depends on your ping to the server.

If you can keep your ping below 50, you will have high fps.
Upgrading internet connection wont always work because ping depends on how far you are from the server.
Your best option is to find out what WOW server is nearest to your location.

I wouldnt recommend playing on a server if you have 200 ping or higher because you will get a 1 second delay
Ayala Land Premier

CPU: Phenom II X4 B55 3.3 Ghz
Motherboard: ECS MCP61M-M3
Graphics Card: Sapphire HD5670
Memory: 4GB Kingston DDR3 1333

Edited: 10/21/2011 at 01:58 PM by edalbkrad
 01/20/2012 01:01 AM

Author Icon
doodlehed
Lurker

Originally posted by: edalbkrad

It wont matter how fast your pc is, FPS depends on your ping to the server.

If you can keep your ping below 50, you will have high fps.

Upgrading internet connection wont always work because ping depends on how far you are from the server.

Your best option is to find out what WOW server is nearest to your location.

I wouldnt recommend playing on a server if you have 200 ping or higher because you will get a 1 second delay

Ayala Land Premier

You're terribly wrong. Ping has absolutly NOTHING to do with framerate. To prove this, login to wow, disconnect your internet and while youre lagging out with NO connection tell me what your frame rate is. Same as always, you just arent communicating with the server. If ping had anything to do with frame rate then theoretically you could play on a calculator with a tic tac video card if its connected directly to the server.

Sorry to bump an old thread just to correct someone. OP, hope you got your issue resolved....7 months ago.

I like pizza.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information