Topic Title: Problems gaming on my X2
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/11/2005 02:45 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 16 17 18 19 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/22/2006 10:27 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
sgie87
Case Modder

excellent to hear that Vangaurd63.

some good news for the X2.iv heard to many storys of them proforming badly when it comes to games,nice to see a simple bios update fixed the problems in your case.

my next cpu will be an x2 anyway.(problem free i hope.)

-------------------------
*IRC chatroom #freedom on irc.globalgamers.net server is a great place to hang out online.PM me for more info.*
 05/23/2006 11:31 AM

Author Icon
JimiP

I have tried switching one core off while the other is kept on while playing the game and I have come back with no positive result. It doesn't help the game run any better. However, does it matter which core I turn off? I usually turn off core 1 instead of core 0. Perhaps that's a reason why I'm not getting the result I want?

"Somedays it's just not worth eating the coffee out of your cup."
 05/23/2006 12:47 PM

Author Icon
TheReturnOfAZ

does not matter which one you turn off

The opinions expressed above exactly represent those of the Intel Corporation and all of its affiliates.
Official Intel™ Propaganda Spreader
"Bringing you the benchmarks that everyone knows are fake" ~ SINCE 2006 ~<!--
 05/23/2006 06:47 PM

Author Icon
Vizzue

I didn't get a chance to read all ten pages, but I was planning on getting an X2 for a gaming machine. I was really counting on dual core though, since it's not all gaming I'm doing. Multitasking is something that would be amazing, and X2 performance is supposed to be great. Should I avoid them? I don't want to go single core, and can't afford anything really higher-end.

My rig:
AMD 4000+ X2--Radeon X1900xt--74gb Raptor--120gb data drive--DVD burner--DVD-ROM--some gigabyte mobo--Cooler Master Praetorian case--Aquagate Mini HSF--and some other stuff...
 05/23/2006 10:49 PM

Author Icon
Bitey
Elite

Usually its better to set the affinty so to the the second core as the OS tends to use that first core by default.

You don't "turn off" a core you just limit an application to a particular core, leaving the other core free to do other stuff.

And since you have confined it to one core you can usually set the process priority level to a very high level, since the OS will allways have the other core for itself and will not "starve" for cpu time.

05/25/2006 03:47 PM

Author Icon
JimiP

quote:

Originally posted by: Vizzue
I didn't get a chance to read all ten pages, but I was planning on getting an X2 for a gaming machine. I was really counting on dual core though, since it's not all gaming I'm doing. Multitasking is something that would be amazing, and X2 performance is supposed to be great. Should I avoid them? I don't want to go single core, and can't afford anything really higher-end.

I think the X2 does a bang up job with all the newer games that have been coming out. Games like Guild Wars, COD2, BF2, etc. However, if it's an older game that you want to play then I wouldn't advise you to get an X2. They seem to have some trouble with older games.

"Somedays it's just not worth eating the coffee out of your cup."
 05/30/2006 02:46 PM

Author Icon
diablobryan

Hi all-
I've tried getting help on the blizzard open tech support forum, but nothing so far. Here's my situation:
I just built a new computer: Athlon X2 4400+, GeForce 7600, SoundBlaster X-Fi, 2 gigs of RAM, etc.
I've installed all the newest drivers for all my hardware. I bought Warcraft III, and started playing the training campaign (Orc prologue). I get through the first mission fine, and start the 2nd. It begins with cutscenes with you speaking...Between each 'cut' (where the picture changes or the person speaking changes), my computer just sits and locks up for about 15-20 seconds. Then it goes to the next cut and does the same thing. So it is taking about 10 minutes to get through the intro.
I hit 'esc' to get through it, so the real mission starts. The narrator starts telling me what to do with my peons - each sentence he speaks (where it tells you what to do next), I lock up again for about 15-20 seconds. So he'll tell me to send 1 peon to gather gold, I lock up. 20 secs later, the game speeds up, I order my peon, narrator comes on again and tells me to create more peons, I lock up again. Once, I got kicked out with a BSOD that said I had a Stop error with NV4_DISP.DLL. I know that's my video card driver, so I downloaded a driver cleaner, totally wiped out my drivers, cleaned, reinstalled them. But I'm still having the same lockup problem. The video test completes fine for both OpenGL and Direct3d.

My virtual memory is on, it's at 2036 megs I think. I have a newer computer I just built, so everything is on a fresh install. I've run antivirus checks and spyware checks (a-squared and ad-aware), and I'm clean. I've even defragmented and run a registry cleaner to no avail.

I think it has to be a problem with my video card drivers, or else this dual-core problem. I've run Driver Cleaner, and tried older and beta drivers also with the same results.

Here's the really weird thing: I can play NEW games, like Oblivion, Battle for Middle Earth 2, and the SpellForce 2 demo fine...but older games like SpellForce 1 and WarCraft III cause the lockups. When I tried Diablo II, I was locking up instantly when the game actually started (in town). I ran the video test and passed and it recommended Direct3D, but I moved the bullet to DirectDraw 2D and then it worked perfectly. Does that help with anything?? I tried WarCraft III in windowed mode, locked up. Tried it with -opengl mode, locked up.

I followed all the steps from this thread, did #1, #2, and #3 (with the WinLaunch XP program), and #4. Still locking up in these two games (well, small lockups, then it continues.) I can play in about 5 second bursts, and it locks up after 5 seconds each time. I tried to Alt-Tab out of the game, open Task Manager, go to processes, right-click .exe for your game, and go to Set Affinity. Set it for just one of the cores.
Here's my problem. I'm logged in as an administrator, but when I do this, I get a warning "Unable to Access or Set Process Affinity. The operation could not be completed. Access is denied." Can anyone help me figure out how/why I'm getting this message, and how to get around it? Maybe the WinLaunch isn't working either, since I can't even manually Set Affinity. I installed the newest AMD driver, and my boot.ini has the correct line in it. I've also edited my registry and have the Throttle key added. Any help would be much appreciated!

It appears both my SpellForce and my WarCraft III .exes in the Process viewer of the Task Manager must be setting themselves as System processes?? I don't know what to do, they show up but they won't let me Set Affinity on either one. I can't figure out how to change what type of processes they are, so nothing is working for letting me set them to a single processor. Anyone with more brainpower than me know how to change what 'type' of process they are so I can set their affinity? Or how I can boot up in "single processor mode" or something while I play? Thanks so much!
 06/08/2006 10:22 PM

Author Icon
tonybevose

hello

i just wanted to say that i experienced the problems initially discussed in this thread

i had crazy pulsing game speed problems. They always occured in painkiller and sometimes occured in other places.

I installed the hotfix that was discussed (http://www.amdzone.com/modules...=article&sid=3964)
and made the mentioned registry entries.

I'd also like to point out that cool and quiet was DISABLED in my bios at all times, and still is.

This hotfix solved my particular problems.

thanks for the help!

-booperdoo
 07/11/2006 12:48 PM

Author Icon
jharrell3623

Well , I know its not easy but I use a program called Runfirst that has stopped all the problems I had running games and getting that fast twitch motion on. Only game I am still having trouble on is Everquest 2 and thats due to the shadow rendering from what I've read , and thats stopped since I turned shadows off completely. I know that seems graphical related but the problems have stopped since i turned that off. I tried other drivers and other video cards and it still gave the same error but the shadows off stopped it with all those same vid cards.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/S...unch.../RunFirst.shtml

There is the link and it does the same thing as setting the affinity but you dont have to flip through windows , just set it and forget it . lol
 07/14/2006 07:40 PM

Author Icon
bmxr

aahhahahaha im soooo smart i figerd out my prolbem for pariah if ur runnin it on 64-bit xp just disable like the secend half of ur cpu for the game when its starting up it worked like a charm for me
 07/17/2006 08:21 PM

Author Icon
brun

quote:

Originally posted by: ken328
This seems to be a common problem with all the X2 CPUs, I reported the problem via the web contact on AMD site, so please report yours too, more ppl report always make things being fixed faster.

In my case, I got the same problem on those games:

Everquest 1
Need for speed underground 2
Summoner
Colin mcrae rally 04
Simcity 3000

I did many tests for over a month, I got the conclusion:

- AMD keep tell me that it is a problem of CnQ, but I have it DISABLED in BIOS all the time, also, those problem never appear if I just switch my X2 4200+ back to my old 3500+, of course other hardware remain the same. If this is a CnQ issue, the 3500+ should have problem too.

- It is not a problem about those games not support dual core/processors, I tested all of them on both a Dual Xeon and a Pentium D 820 machines, no problem appear at all.

- AMD's new CPU driver for X2 will automatically add a string "/usepmtimer" in the boot.ini file, it fixed the shutter problem appear in NFSU2, but not other 3 games, show that there are actually 2 different bugs on the X2s, one of them can be fixed by this method, the other cannot.

After almost 2 weeks of dueling with the AMD staff, I can feel that even they know about the bugs in those X2, they don't want to face the problem, I guess, if they offically announce those bugs, that means they need to replace almost all of the X2 CPUs in the market with a new bug fixed revision.

I think, base on business concern, the 1st revision of X2s will be replaced very soon, but I don't think AMD will care about us who already paid for this buggy CPU since they can't announce there are 2 major bugs in their newest product line (or they prepared for the value of their stocks in the stock market being hit).

Try to Dissable one of the cpu core's, when you are playing some older games.
AMD Processors » AMD Enthusiast Community » Gaming and Lan Parties » Problems gaming on my X2

<< 16 17 18 19 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information