Topic Title: Problems gaming on my X2
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/11/2005 02:45 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/15/2005 12:42 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Dwyvyrn

QUOTE(Karmashock @ Aug 15 2005, 08:59 AM)sweet, I didn't know the task manager could disable the use of one of hte processors. Can i have that option stored in a short cut or must I alt tab out every time to disable one of them on that process?

Additional: Unreal 2004 works just fine, so I think that most of the newer games won't whine at me. /smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />
[right][snapback]481422[/snapback][/right]

That was part of the troubleshooting process I went through with NCsoft. The problem was that I was getting that error during the startup not the actual gameplay. Once I get into the game, 1 out of 10 attempts, it functions fine and I can play for hours at a time. When I tried to change the affinity of the startup program(process) to only one CPU it bluescreened me each and every time (LineageII.exe).

They really need to consider recalling, refunding, or replacing if the problem is as wide a scope as this string suggests.

08/15/2005 05:19 PM

Author Icon
Dwyvyrn

I called the number here in the states and reported the problem along with reporting this message string to them(Forum Topic and message string). They said they would be looking into it and would post any updates or fixes they have to this string. We will see.... (crosses fingers)
 08/15/2005 11:51 PM

Author Icon
c0ncept

I'm running the following system:

Windows x64
AMD Athlon64 X2 4400+
nvidia geforce 7800 gtx

I'm getting the "negative delta time" critical error several times a day while running LineageII. After talking with the GM's they told me it is a problem with the dual core technology and after reading this thread I've gained more insight to the problem.

I specifically bought this computer to run LineageII, and I tried to adjust the affinity setting, as it was also mentioned by a GM. However I get an "access denied" error that won't allow me to change it. Is there any way around this?
 08/16/2005 04:20 PM

Author Icon
Dwyvyrn

QUOTE(c0ncept @ Aug 15 2005, 10:51 PM)I'm running the following system:

Windows x64
AMD Athlon64 X2 4400+
nvidia geforce 7800 gtx

I'm getting the "negative delta time" critical error several times a day while running LineageII.  After talking with the GM's they told me it is a problem with the dual core technology and after reading this thread I've gained more insight to the problem.

I specifically bought this computer to run LineageII, and I tried to adjust the affinity setting, as it was also mentioned by a GM.  However I get an "access denied" error that won't allow me to change it.  Is there any way around this?
[right][snapback]481797[/snapback][/right]

Yea I ran into the same problem running lineage II. I linked NCSoft to this string and they said they reported it to their QA department.

What process did you try to alter the affinity on?
 08/16/2005 04:35 PM

Author Icon
c0ncept

QUOTE(Dwyvyrn @ Aug 16 2005, 03:20 PM)Yea I ran into the same problem running lineage II.  I linked NCSoft to this string and they said they reported it to their QA department.

What process did you try to alter the affinity on?
[right][snapback]482242[/snapback][/right]

I went ctrl+alt+del and selected the Lineage II process, and tried to select the affinity option and got an access denied error. I'm logged in as Administrator so I don't know what the problem is.
 08/16/2005 06:09 PM

Author Icon
Dwyvyrn

QUOTE(c0ncept @ Aug 16 2005, 03:35 PM)I went ctrl+alt+del and selected the Lineage II process, and tried to select the affinity option and got an access denied error.  I'm logged in as Administrator so I don't know what the problem is.
[right][snapback]482251[/snapback][/right]

I'll try the same thing again tonight when I actually able to login and post again if it bluescreens me at that point as well. Thats what it did when I tried to change it before the game was actually loaded during the startup.
 08/16/2005 08:54 PM

Author Icon
c0ncept

QUOTEmulti(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="" /usepmtimer /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

For this line of code would you input your Windows OS type in the quotes or enter it just as it is?

I think I'll just "downgrade" to the 4000+ san diego and go back with windows xp pro.
 08/17/2005 09:30 PM

Author Icon
SilentKiller

I intend to upgrade to AMD X2 but after the previous issues I thing I gonna get FX 55 or FX 57 instead /blink.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='blink.gif' /> cuz I use my system 80% for gaming /biggrin.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='biggrin.gif' />

-------------------------
====== My Current System ======
Athlon64 3700+@2200MHz Socket 939, Thermaltake (Big Typhoon) CPU Cooler
DFI Lanparty NF4 UT SLI-DR, 2GB(4x512) Corsair 3200XL PRO (2-2-2-5), BFG 7800 GTX 256 MB,
Antec 550Watts TPII, 2x 200 GB Seagate (NCQ) SATA, 2x250 GB Maxtor SATA

Pros: Awesome ^_^
Cons: Not Overclocked yet!
 08/18/2005 03:29 AM

Author Icon
c0ncept

Well I used a utility to adjust the affinity setting for Lineage II and it didn't work I got the same error as always.

Pretty fed up at this point, don't feel like waiting around for AMD to do something about this.
 08/20/2005 12:07 AM

Author Icon
Dwyvyrn

QUOTE(c0ncept @ Aug 18 2005, 02:29 AM)Well I used a utility to adjust the affinity setting for Lineage II and it didn't work I got the same error as always.

Pretty fed up at this point, don't feel like waiting around for AMD to do something about this.
[right][snapback]483318[/snapback][/right]

Yep I didn't have any additional luck either... frustrating is an understatement.
 08/20/2005 01:25 PM

Author Icon
Karmashock

Ok, I found a workaround that only needs to be done once. It's called RunOnProcessorExplicitly or 'ROPE', it's a command line affinity setter that's allowed me to bipass the problem by setting each of the games with issues to ONE processor. All I have to do is modify the shortcuts.

For example, I changed my painkiller shortcut to read:
"D:\Program Files\innes.org\ROPE\ROPE.exe" -f 0 -n F:\Painkiller\Bin\Painkiller.exe

Or use processor "0" on application with Name "F:\Painkiller\Bin\Painkiller.exe"

Also the "start in" field should read the location of the application you actually want to run. For example "f:\Painkiller\Bin\"

This is an annoying problem because all the games run smoother on two processors then one... that is when they run at all. But it's something.

I needed something like this for a few games because they'd error out within 4 seconds of clicking on them which made going to the task manager just about impossible. One of the things that has the lowest tolerance for out of sync processors is Blink video. That errors out just about instantly every time. It was so bad that before I found rope, I had to remove the movies from most of the games I wanted to play... or the company logos would error out the game in the first few seconds.

An app like Rope should be offered by AMD and put on their web page... This is a REALLY useful app that is a must for anyone with multiple processors.
 08/23/2005 08:08 AM

Author Icon
wizkristof

Get an FX57, if you are a gamer, why a X2?? /blink.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='blink.gif' />
 08/23/2005 03:55 PM

Author Icon
Italia_NYC

I must say, this all comes as news to me. I have read many, many forums and posts as I was just ready to order an X2 proc; and now I read there are problems with running games with this processor. This makes me sad /sad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='sad.gif' />

[Signature over size limits. Please see forum guidelines.]
 08/23/2005 07:00 PM

Author Icon
trmph

i have a 4200+ amd dual core/ asus sli-deluxe / 7800gt / 1g ram/ 450 ps / 10000rpm raptor /. And half life does not run right on it. It will glitch like it's choking LOTS OF PPL ARE HAVING THIS PROBLEM. every few seconds or so, it is clearly a hardware issue with the dual core technoligy and before i return it i would like to see if i can get some kind of support before i simply return the product and never buy amd again. I like the product besides this problem, but i believe most of your market is to gamer's like myself and was wondering if this is being looked into, if there's something i can do about it, or if it's a problem with the dual core running with asus motherboards since it seems like most or all of the ppl are using an asus mb with there amd dual core.

I would just turn off the dual core tech. but i really spent to much money on this product to do something like that. I dont know if amd actualy has employee's that support these forum's or if they rely on other user's to help each other. But i figured it worth a try before i go through all the trouble of returning each part of this system. Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to give. /happy.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='happy.gif' />
 08/23/2005 07:18 PM

Author Icon
sgie87
Case Modder

it is mainly other AMD uses that give advice here.
that is an extremly nice machine you have there,
dont be in a hurry to return your dual core cpu as many people are using them and are having no trouble playing games,the problem my lie with other hardware.
AMD make great cpus and to "never buy them again" would be a mistake.

is hl2 the only game your are having trouble with?

have you got the newest drivers installed for all your hardware,inculding cpu?

*IRC chatroom #freedom on irc.globalgamers.net server is a great place to hang out online.PM me for more info.*
 08/23/2005 07:31 PM

Author Icon
trmph

Its a brand new machine i just built it. If you can let me know were i would be able to get something new that i may need to fix this problem i would greatly appreciate it. So basicly right now i simply have all the stock driver's execpt for video card that came with the machine.

Like i said there are many many ppl having this same problem and any infomation would be great i dont want to return the machine i like it but i play these games competitivly and i have to have a machine that works with the game i play.

no to my knowledge im not having this problem with any other game than half life games. although i really dont play any other games than that. i will put some of the other games on my comp and see if i have the same problem. but i highly doubt it i did try halo and nothing happend but i guess i could try acouple more.
 08/23/2005 07:41 PM

Author Icon
sgie87
Case Modder

so perhaps this is a half life related promblem and not a hardware one?
have you got all the updates for half life 2?
have your tryed the half life forums?,

*IRC chatroom #freedom on irc.globalgamers.net server is a great place to hang out online.PM me for more info.*
 08/24/2005 04:22 AM

Author Icon
Karmashock

QUOTE(wizkristof @ Aug 23 2005, 05:08 AM)Get an FX57, if you are a gamer, why a X2?? /blink.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='blink.gif' />
[right][snapback]487094[/snapback][/right]

Because I use my computer for a lot of other things aside from games. /wink.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='wink.gif' />

QUOTE(Italia_NYC @ Aug 23 2005, 12:55 PM)I must say, this all comes as news to me. I have read many, many forums and posts as I was just ready to order an X2 proc; and now I read there are problems with running games with this processor. This makes me sad  /sad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='sad.gif' />
[right][snapback]487335[/snapback][/right]

All this processor needs is a little extra love /biggrin.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='biggrin.gif' /> . On the games that are not duel core compatible, you just tell EVERYTHING to get to processor 2 and then tell the game to run on processor 1. You still get a pretty big speed boost because the game has a whole processor all to itself. It should be noted that even though your base system processes are running at about 1 percent prior to launching the game, they don't stay there. So you tend to get processor two going to 10 to 30 precent while processor one goes to 80 or 90. Also, whether the game is duel core compatible or not I can typically do lots of intense stuff in the background WHILE playing a pretty hard core game. For example, I can play FEAR on pretty high settings while doing video encoding so long as all the video stuff is being done on a separate hard drive (seperate controller prefered) and specifically locked off the processor FEAR is using.

If you know what you're doing it's really like having two computers in one box. The only thing that you need to do is micro mange the 'load balancing' that windows typically does a pretty good job of... but then fails miserably at when it comes to many games.

The only thing that might irritate you is that many applications will NOT use both processors or will not use more then 50 percent of each while using both. That's the only thing I don't know how to fix. However, it must be said that when an app or game is using 50 percent of each core it still runs FAR FAR more smoothly then an app or game using a hundred percent of of a system's one and only processor. I've found several games that ARE multi threaded even though they're not reported as such as well. Psychonauts for example, appears to be fully multi threaded in that BOTH processors show a lot of activity while that game is running (up to about 80 precent on both without any tinkering whatsoever). Unreal 2004 is 'sorta' multi threaded in that the sound calculations are off loaded to the second processor. I expect that more and more games will support multi threading, but it will take a little time. On the games that do support it, i see a pretty big speed boost, on the ones that don't, it's just a little bit of work. The problem the game makers are having is keeping everything in sync in real time.

Honestly, once you set up ROPE on ONE game you just copy and paste that same command line to all the games that give you grief. Most games seem to just refuse to touch the second processor and so run fine. The rest seem to get confused and either error out or have syncing and time dilatation issues. Then there is a final group which so far as I know is about a half dozen games at this point that will recognize and use two processors at the same time without any problems what so ever. Heck, even the games that don't like two processors will sometimes get lucky and randomly detect them properly... when that happens you get the games that typically error out or sync badly proforming like champs.

I don't know if this is something best handled by Microsoft in their next patch of Directx, the video card manufactures, the processor drivers made by AMD, the various Motherboard manufacturers, or the game developers themselves. There seems to be a lot of "any body but me" from most of these guys on this issue. Everyone I've talked to has blamed someone else for the problem. However, as usual, the clever end user can make it work and bi-pass these guys so long as you're willing to suss out the quirks in your rig.

It's taken me awhile to figure mine out, but I've got it under control. The only thing that I don't like about this system is the unstable system clock. I know AMD is all hot on Cool and quiet... and the ability to dynamically OC your system on the fly, but it's really not worth the stability hit. Also, something should be done in later versions of the processor to make sure that the two clocks CAN NOT go out of sync.

It's one thing to have the ability to OC your system on the fly or tone it down so that it generates less heat when it's just idling. But there is no benefit to having your two cores going out of sync that I can see... and I can say from my time with my rig that that issue it the ROOT cause of most of the errors I'm getting. There must be a way to ensure that the two cores opperate in sync.

Love and Peace, Karmashock.

/rant
 08/24/2005 11:37 AM

Author Icon
AussieFX

QUOTE(wizkristof @ Aug 23 2005, 08:08 PM)Get an FX57, if you are a gamer, why a X2?? /blink.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='blink.gif' />
[right][snapback]487094[/snapback][/right]

I'm with you.
Everybody knows that if you're into games single processors are the go.
Look at my sig. I've only got an FX-53 yet there is no game that I have come across that my pc can't handle
I am a helicopter pilot by trade and I use an IFR simulator to log approaches and this program really craves power yet I have never had a stutter since I upgraded my 3500+. You don't need the FX-57 yet. the 55 will give you everything you can dream about for 2/3 the price

Cheers

DFI LanParty ut nF4 SLI-DR expert, AMD FX-53, 2gb Corsair xpert 3200c2pro, 1xWD 80gb IDE,
2xWD 120gb sata striped, 2x XFX 7900 gt, Pioneer dvr109, LG dvd multi DVD-RAM,
Logitech Z5500 speakers, Logitech G7/G15, Antec truecontrol 550w PSU

08/24/2005 01:57 PM

Author Icon
Italia_NYC

QUOTE(AussieFX @ Aug 24 2005, 11:37 AM)I'm with you.
Everybody knows that if you're into games single processors are the go.
Look at my sig. I've only got an FX-53 yet there is no game that I have come across that my pc can't handle
I am a helicopter pilot by trade and I use an IFR simulator to log approaches and this program really craves power yet I have never had a stutter since I upgraded my 3500+. You don't need the FX-57 yet. the 55 will give you everything you can dream about for 2/3 the price

Cheers
[right][snapback]487927[/snapback][/right]

So is it safe to say that the consensus is, if I use my machine for mostly gaming (which I do), I would be happier with an FX55 than a 4400+ X2 proc?

[Signature over size limits. Please see forum guidelines.]
AMD Processors » AMD Enthusiast Community » Gaming and Lan Parties » Problems gaming on my X2

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information