Increase font size
Topic Title: XIII won't start
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/17/2005 11:21 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/17/2005 11:21 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
geostott

I just finished building this pc. I an not a gamer but I thought I would try my hand at it.
My MSI NX6600GT came with XIII. I loaded the game with no problem. When I try to play I keep getting a message to insert the cd. The CD is already in the drive. I went to the support forum at the XIII site and did a search. There was a mesaage saying this is usually caused by a DVD writer or CD RW drive creating a virtual drive. It said if ther is a program running like "Nero-6" and a few others I can't remember to close or didable them. Any idea what this is about?

-------------------------
George

AMD Athlon 64 3500+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, MSI NX6600GT,
Crucial Ballistix 2 x 512 PC3200 DDR, Sony DVD+/-RW,
Sony CDRW/DVD, Seagate SATA HD 200GB 7200 RPM
Thermaltake Tsunami case, Thermaltake SP 480watt PSU
 01/18/2005 12:38 AM

Author Icon
reholli

QUOTE (geostott @ Jan 17 2005, 08:21 PM)I just finished building this pc.  I an not a gamer but I thought I would try my hand at it. 
My MSI NX6600GT came with XIII.  I loaded the game with no problem.  When I try to play I keep getting a message to insert the cd.  The CD is already in the drive.  I went to the support forum at the XIII site and did a search.  There was a mesaage saying this is usually caused by a DVD writer or CD RW drive creating a virtual drive.  It said if ther is a program running like "Nero-6" and a few others I can't remember to close or didable them.  Any idea what this is about?
DVD-RW or CD-RW drives don't create virtual drives, but some software applications (like Alcohol 120%, Daemon Tools, perhaps Nero 6.x, etc.) do. Virtual drives act like an actual physical DVD or CD drive and allow the mounting of a CD/DVD image (disk copy) and are often used as part of the overall process of copying and running protected game or other disks. Some new games are so picky that they won't even run from real CD-RW or DVD-RW drives in a misguided attempt to thwart copying. If you have software installed that creates a virtual drive, try disabling the virtual drive or uninstalling the software. If you're trying to run the game from a DVD-RW or CD-RW "writer" drive, try running if from a "regular" DVD-ROM or CD-ROM drive if one is installed on your system.
 01/18/2005 01:56 AM

Author Icon
geostott

I do have Intervideo DVD Copy 2 installed and I just opened the program and noticed it is possible to copy a DVD to my hard drive. I haven't done it. I just intalled the software yesterday after I finished building the pc. Maybe I'll try uninstalling it.
I don't have a CD-ROM drive on the pc.
Thanks

-------------------------
George

AMD Athlon 64 3500+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, MSI NX6600GT,
Crucial Ballistix 2 x 512 PC3200 DDR, Sony DVD+/-RW,
Sony CDRW/DVD, Seagate SATA HD 200GB 7200 RPM
Thermaltake Tsunami case, Thermaltake SP 480watt PSU
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information