Increase font size
Topic Title: Wireless Connection Problems w/ Online Games
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/31/2006 01:27 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/31/2006 01:27 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
19DUBJ91

Hi,
I'm 15 and I've been having this problem for a really long time and I'm asking for help to finally fix it. The problem is that I've been playing Counter Strike 1.6, Counter Strike: Source, Day of Defeat: Source, Battlefield 1942, and recently Battlefield 2 and everytime there is an issue with the internet connection. In CS and DoD I'll be able to play fine and eventually it'll freeze for a couple of seconds then return to the game but it's frustrating. It's the same with Battlefield but a box thats says "There is a problem with your internet connection" actually shows up. What I'm really hoping for is seamless online play. Im ok with a little lag but not the freezing its doing. My computer in the basement has a wireless connection with one upstairs. The signal strength is usually good to very good and the speed 24 to 56 mbps. Here are the system specs of my computer.

Dell 4700
Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.80GHz processor
510MB RAM memory
159 GB hard drive
Radeon X300/X550 Series video card
SoundMAX Digital Audio sound card
and Windows XP home edition

Can anyone tell me a solution to making it so my wireless internet connection doesn't make such an inconvience in online play, thank you!
 10/31/2006 10:05 AM

Author Icon
64bitX2g33k

What is the brand and type of Router and Wireless device that you are using. Along with Modem specs. I used to have the same problems.

-------------------------
CompTIA A+ Certified IT Professional
 10/31/2006 06:13 PM

Author Icon
EdgE 45

When you get the wireless set I,d beef up your ram,bf2 needs at least 1 gig,2 is better

-------------------------
Amd 4400x2
asus a8n-sli premium
pc power 510
corsair twinx2048-3500LLpro
70gb wd 10,000x2
evga 7800gtx X-Fi Platinum
 10/31/2006 08:01 PM

Author Icon
Xtreeme

You got lag, not bandwidth issues. See if you can set the wireless IP static, turn off DHCP (it slows it down checking for leases) and turn of upnp IF you know what ports you need to forward for those games. In the end that makes your wireless network faster and more secure.
 10/31/2006 09:39 PM

Author Icon
19DUBJ91

quote:

Originally posted by: 64bitX2g33k
What is the brand and type of Router and Wireless device that you are using. Along with Modem specs. I used to have the same problems.

I checked and it's a SMC 54 Mbps Wireless Cable/DSL Broadband Router with a Dell wireless USB Adapter. You'll have to tell me how to figure out the modem specs. How did you fix your problem? Thank you for the reply!

quote:

Originally posted by: Xtreeme
You got lag, not bandwidth issues. See if you can set the wireless IP static, turn off DHCP (it slows it down checking for leases) and turn of upnp IF you know what ports you need to forward for those games. In the end that makes your wireless network faster and more secure.

Thank you for the reply but can you tell me how to do these steps? I understand some of the terms there but I have no idea of how to do them, lol.
 12/04/2006 06:45 PM

Author Icon
iamtheoneneo

hi had to sign up just to respond to this,.
the problem your having is with windows not the router.
how do i know this?
well i have a similar problem
basically i was using a cut down version of windows with some stuff removed and never got the problem
then iwent to vista and now back to an up to date xp sp2 oct edition and the problem happens on both.

i dont know what settings it is but its to do with the way windows connects to wireless connections - nothing to do with your router!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information