Increase font size
Topic Title: XIII (13) Appreciation Thread
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/18/2006 05:20 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/18/2006 05:20 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
SneakyLilBastard

Man, that game is so freakin' cool. It's a cell-drawn first-person shooter so you're living in a comic book world and it does such an awesome job at making you feel as if you're in one. I like the plot too. You supposedly assassinated the president but you wake up on a beach shore with amensia not knowing what happened and you gotta find out. I love getting a headshot and it'll show a cartoon slow-motion caption of the bullet going into the head. Hit someone over the head with a object and you see a large POW. Explosions go KABOOM! It also has the voices of David Dukovny from X-files as your character and Adam West from Batman which is perfect considering all the POWS and other comic-book effects.

I've been meaning to pick this up for awhile now but kept putting it off thinking it'd be weird but it's soooooo awesome! What made me finally get it is seeing the price down to only $10 bucks at Fry's and Best Buy! It's a killer deal and a must have!

Is there anyone else that owns this game, and if so, what do ya think of it?

- N

-------------------------
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ | ASUS A8R-MVP CF X1600 | AMD Radeon X1900XTX 512MB | <a href="http://www.
 07/19/2006 02:59 PM

Author Icon
shazaam

You do know this game has been around for like 3 years right?
I was gonna rent it for PS2 when it came out, but I got another game don't remember what I got though
 07/19/2006 03:06 PM

Author Icon
TheReturnOfAZ

i really wanted this game before it was released, but the reviews kinda let me down.

i also saw it for $10 earlier... thinking about it still...

The opinions expressed above exactly represent those of the Intel Corporation and all of its affiliates.
Official Intel™ Propaganda Spreader
"Bringing you the benchmarks that everyone knows are fake" ~ SINCE 2006 ~<!--
 07/19/2006 09:02 PM

Author Icon
SneakyLilBastard

Yeah, I knew it's been out for 3 years, I just never went to get it because of the reviews. I decided to shell out $10 and now I think those reviewers musta been on crack or something, heh. You know, the same kinda people that gave Prey lower scores and all.

- N

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ | ASUS A8R-MVP CF X1600 | AMD Radeon X1900XTX 512MB | <a href="http://www.
 07/20/2006 06:22 AM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

I did complete this game a long time ago.
It was nice enough. A few good puzzles too.
Overall, a mark 8+ game.

World's best Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge mod and Star Trek: Starfleet Command 3 mod: Overmind.ro
 07/20/2006 09:32 AM

Author Icon
JPalumberi

I thought it was a great game, but I could not get past the stealth level in the submarine and lost interest in playing it before giving up.
 07/20/2006 09:45 AM

Author Icon
walwalka

i really wanted that game then i rented it and saw that is sucked

A64 X2 3800 @ 2000Mhz | 2.0GB Corsair PC3200 | 250GB Seagate barracuda 7200.10 HDD | 160GB Western Digital 7200 HDD | xFx 7900GS 256mb GDDR3 | FIC KTBC51G MOBO | 500W Hipro PSU | Dynex VIA sound card |
 09/12/2006 10:34 AM

Author Icon
raina

Hiya! Just registered because I wanted to take part in this conversation. XIII is an extremely good game, the comic style rocks and the single player story mode is very captivating. And, it's the first FPS game I took time completing since Doom II. I bought the game for pennies a little over a year ago and played it through on a box with AMD Athlon 1.2GHz CPU, 256MB RAM and a 64MB GeForce 2 video card. This older machine hindered me from enjoying the game with full graphical detail but gameplay was more than acceptable when using 640x480 screen resolution. Now, last spring we got a new computer: AMD Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 2GB RAM and a 256MB ATI Radeon 1600x video card. I was thrilled to finally be able to max those detail settings and give the game another go but alas, it really doesn't work on this new system. First: it sometimes runs on warp speed. Second: graphical glitches, a corpse has multiple shadows scattered around the general area where he/she died in. Third: the game crashes. Often. So far I haven't been able to complete level 1. I'm pretty sure I'm up to date with drivers and I've tried the game patches, both official and inofficial but to no avail.
 09/12/2006 11:55 AM

Author Icon
TheReturnOfAZ

try right clicking the process in task manager, and 'setting affinity' so that it only runs on one core. the 4400+ is dual core; older games sometimes dont handle DC well.

this is a game i wanted a very long time ago, now that its like $10, i might check it out.

The opinions expressed above exactly represent those of the Intel Corporation and all of its affiliates.
 09/12/2006 12:29 PM

Author Icon
raina

quote:

Originally posted by: TheReturnOfAZ try right clicking the process in task manager, and 'setting affinity' so that it only runs on one core. the 4400+ is dual core; older games sometimes dont handle DC well.

This is sort of what I was after, some advice from people more familiar with dual core compatibility issues. Thanks, I will try it.
 09/12/2006 12:46 PM

Author Icon
AM2_GAINWARD

quote:

Originally posted by: SneakyLilBastard
Man, that game is so freakin' cool. It's a cell-drawn first-person shooter so you're living in a comic book world and it does such an awesome job at making you feel as if you're in one. I like the plot too. You supposedly assassinated the president but you wake up on a beach shore with amensia not knowing what happened and you gotta find out. I love getting a headshot and it'll show a cartoon slow-motion caption of the bullet going into the head. Hit someone over the head with a object and you see a large POW. Explosions go KABOOM! It also has the voices of David Dukovny from X-files as your character and Adam West from Batman which is perfect considering all the POWS and other comic-book effects.

I've been meaning to pick this up for awhile now but kept putting it off thinking it'd be weird but it's soooooo awesome! What made me finally get it is seeing the price down to only $10 bucks at Fry's and Best Buy! It's a killer deal and a must have!

Is there anyone else that owns this game, and if so, what do ya think of it?

- N

it was a nice game i finished it 3 times
i dont know what happended at the end , it said To Be Continoued , but that never came out
 09/12/2006 01:11 PM

Author Icon
raina

quote:

Originally posted by: TheReturnOfAZ try right clicking the process in task manager, and 'setting affinity' so that it only runs on one core. the 4400+ is dual core; older games sometimes dont handle DC well.

Unbe-effin'-lievable! Just like that, you fixed my game. Problems 1, 2 and 3, gone. Thanks ever so much!

quote:

Originally posted by: AM2_GAINWARD i dont know what happended at the end , it said To Be Continoued , but that never came out

Never? There have been longer delays between sequels. I'm certainly looking forward to see a XIII II (hopefully not the title) someday.

By the way, I was originally so inspired by the goings-on in the gameworld, I got into the XIII comics too. Recommended to everybody who dug the game. The storyline is a little different and the going is tougher but it's certainly interesting to see the alternate plot play itself out.
 09/12/2006 08:08 PM

Author Icon
TheReturnOfAZ

you have to do that every restart unfortunately
though look int he guides section, theres a way to permanently mod the EXE file

09/13/2006 12:55 AM

Author Icon
CBI Elite

MAN I love that game. Played it non-stop for like 4 weeks. Just so friggin' fun...the sounds, cell-shading, and just sheer design is phenominal. I loved that level outside in the snow, where you had to sneek around and not trigger any alarms...man, so many possibilities.

Props to the creators of this game. It may be old, but I'm still loving it. Heck, I'm still playing MechWarrior 4: Vengeance, and it's 6 years old!!

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ E3 @ 2.6GHz/1.44V | Asus A8N-SLi V1014
eVGA 7900 GS @ 525MHz/1,450MHz | <a href="http://ww
 09/24/2006 02:22 PM

Author Icon
eskimosound
Deprecated

Guys it's brilliant, not only does it look good and play well, the music is fantastic worth an album in itself.
And mentioning music have you played Shadow of the Colossus? Great score.

09/24/2006 03:04 PM

Author Icon
Royal Flush
Alpha Geek

I got the game recently, but I'm pretty dissapointed
Not by the story, or the stealth, or the whatever, but by the guns

The starter pistol is pretty weak to try to use later on, but does get the job done
The .44 pistol is great, my favorite weapon in the game
The Shotgun is good too, but the secondary attack is utterly useless
The Assault rifle is waay to inaccurate, what were they thinking, only good thing it the grenade launcher
The Throwing knives are good to stab people with... unless they have armor
The miniguns 1) Are not miniguns, they're UZIs and 2) Waay to inaccurate again
The .50 cal or whatever big machine gun is good, but the ammo in it is not realistic, its too low to be fun too.
those are the only guns I've tried so far

The machine gun type rapid firing weapons all mess my sound up producing a bunch of static, anyone else have this problem?

zzzap!
 09/24/2006 06:22 PM

Author Icon
TheReturnOfAZ

quote:

Originally posted by: eskimosound
have you played Shadow of the Colossus? Great score.

what a game. stopped playing before i beat the final boss (which is an unfun pain in the [content edited]). im giong to start it again very soon.

09/24/2006 11:30 PM

Author Icon
SneakyLilBastard

Royal, like most games, you gotta fire in bursts to be accurate.

- N

09/25/2006 01:59 AM

Author Icon
TheReturnOfAZ

also this is not a tactical shooter

09/26/2006 02:41 PM

Author Icon
Royal Flush
Alpha Geek

Naw burst fire doesn't work, its still not going to have a good chance of shooting straight.
If you're not playing a tactical shooter, then the game has really fun unrealistic accuracy to guns like Goldeneye, but this game, the rapid firing guns have un-fun accuracy

zzzap!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information