Increase font size
Topic Title: Half-Life 2: Episode 1 bugs+fixes
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/03/2006 06:22 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/03/2006 06:22 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
sgie87
Case Modder

This post is to help people,who have Half-Life 2: Episode 1 but it keeps crashing at load screen on them,or even not letting them inot the game at all.
this is happening to ALOT of people.

http://forums.steampowered.com...show...threadid=443922

i got the game the day it was release and have not been able to play it untill today,
but now i can,lol steam making paying beta testers out of its customers.

this crashing problem is happening mosty to people using ATI drivers.
there are a few methods on how to fix the problem,

most people using a 6.5 ati cat drivers can just uninstall them and install the 6.4 and the game will work fine.

other will not be so lucky,

if the above method does not work for you,try this,force the game to run in directx 8.1 mode,this solves the crashing problems,but you will lose the HDR effects.
do do this-

open steam,right episode one,click properties,
click set launch properties, and copy "-dxlevel 81" into the box,with out the quotation marks(").
try lanuching the game,if it does not work,restart your computer,and try it again,

also some people have had better luck doing this with steam in "offline mode"
people who have got the game working found,that when they raised the game res to over 1208x1024 it began crashing at level laoding screen and not letting them inot the game,if this happen restart your computer and hopefull the game will ahve gone back to default settings.

hopefully steam will soon release a patch and the game will be playable by eveyone in HDR.

-------------------------
*IRC chatroom #freedom on irc.globalgamers.net server is a great place to hang out online.PM me for more info.*
 06/06/2006 08:23 PM

Author Icon
DARKNeo1

quote:

Originally posted by: sgie87
This post is to help people,who have Half-Life 2: Episode 1 but it keeps crashing at load screen on them,or even not letting them inot the game at all.
this is happening to ALOT of people.

http://forums.steampowered.com...show...threadid=443922

i got the game the day it was release and have not been able to play it untill today,
but now i can,lol steam making paying beta testers out of its customers.

this crashing problem is happening mosty to people using ATI drivers.
there are a few methods on how to fix the problem,

most people using a 6.5 ati cat drivers can just uninstall them and install the 6.4 and the game will work fine.

other will not be so lucky,

if the above method does not work for you,try this,force the game to run in directx 8.1 mode,this solves the crashing problems,but you will lose the HDR effects.
do do this-

open steam,right episode one,click properties,
click set launch properties, and copy "-dxlevel 81" into the box,with out the quotation marks(").
try lanuching the game,if it does not work,restart your computer,and try it again,

also some people have had better luck doing this with steam in "offline mode"
people who have got the game working found,that when they raised the game res to over 1208x1024 it began crashing at level laoding screen and not letting them inot the game,if this happen restart your computer and hopefull the game will ahve gone back to default settings.

hopefully steam will soon release a patch and the game will be playable by eveyone in HDR.

I used your guide to get the game working....if the above method does not work for you,try this,force the game to run in directx 8.1 mode,this solves the crashing problems,but you will lose the HDR effects.
Worked liker a charm....thx again DARKNeo1
 06/06/2006 09:20 PM

Author Icon
np6s4x
Case Modder

i'm using the 5.8 and it loaded and played fine, (well till a few mins into the game where it artifacted like i've never seen before /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

edit: just played it for an hour without a single issue

so 5.8's are fine for it, the artifacting was probably just something random with the video card itself

edit2: i think the game almost made my video card catch fire

after playing it for a bit (like 20-30min or so) more the game started to badly artifact, so quit it, and i looked at my gpu temp and it was 127.88C never seen it do that before, after being on the desktop for a bit the screen just turn a soild color with colored lines down it, and then i look down at the case and see something brightly flashing by the video card, so quickly killed the power, and can still smell something burning

PC Power & Cooling 750w
Asus A8V Deluxe
AMD FX-60
OCZ Platinum 2x1GB DDR 400
ATI All-in-Wonder x800
 06/07/2006 04:03 PM

Author Icon
sgie87
Case Modder

your welcome darkneo1,great game eh?>

np6s4x are you serious?
i would have though anycard would have just died at that temp,
what card were you using and what is your system cooling?
is your system damaged?

*IRC chatroom #freedom on irc.globalgamers.net server is a great place to hang out online.PM me for more info.*
 06/07/2006 08:35 PM

Author Icon
np6s4x
Case Modder

quote:

Originally posted by: sgie87
np6s4x are you serious?

yes

quote:

Originally posted by: Unknown i would have though anycard would have just died at that temp

sure looked and smelled like it was in the process of that

quote:

Originally posted by: Unknown what card were you using and what is your system cooling?

ATI AIW X800XT with default fan, with 120mm on front of case, 120 in back, and 120 in the power supply

quote:

Originally posted by: Unknown is your system damaged?

sure seems like it

when i put the card back in a bit ago and started it up, it made one flash, and give off the normal smell, it booted and sat at the windows desktop just fine, the gpu temp was around 49C the whole time, so then around an hour later or so, i started ATI Tray Tools and the artifact tester in it, and about 3 sec or so after it appeared, the screen when white with lines like last night, and i could smell it quite nicely again, and still smell it

only put it in back in march

edit: noticed this on the top of the card:

PC Power & Cooling 750w
Asus A8V Deluxe
AMD FX-60
OCZ Platinum 2x1GB DDR 400
ATI All-in-Wonder x800
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information