Topic Title: (')BLIVION discussion
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/21/2006 12:06 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/24/2006 10:13 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
shazaam

I can't wait till I get my new parts/a GPU so I can play this Looks/sounds so fun and BEAUtiful
Well I guess I should play Morrowind first seeming I have that too but haven't been able to because of my X200
I can't wait, there's just so many good games coming out, Ghost Recon, Godfather Wow crazy
 03/24/2006 11:25 PM

Author Icon
Scyther

Is anyone running Oblivion on a dual core? If so, to what degree is Oblivion supporting multithreading? Thanks.
 03/25/2006 04:26 AM

Author Icon
TheReturnOfAZ

i will tell you in about 10mins

i just beat HL2, i think it is officially better than halo 2

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above exactly represent those of the Intel Corporation and all of its affiliates.
Official Intel™ Propaganda Spreader
"Bringing you the benchmarks that everyone knows are fake" ~ SINCE 2006 ~<!--
 03/25/2006 05:04 AM

Author Icon
TheReturnOfAZ

well i installed it and did like the first 10mins (i did this in morrowind too come to think of it) and its reeeeeeaaally nice let me elaborate

- actual physics, although dont expect HL2ish. im just saying the enemies actually FALL which is a biggie for the elder scrolls games and there are some prescripted actions like knocking down logs. whats impressive is like chains hanging from the ceiling that you can punch and walk into.

- graphics are really good but they rely too much on shading, your hands get unicolored when in semidarkness. im getting at least 60fps most of the time (with vsync on) so for all i know the times it goes to 30 im really getting 55. everything is up but AA is 2x and HDR is off (oblivion is SMART... it says my card cant do both!

- good voice acting

- awesome effects

- simplified/less text on character screens

and im not saying this is a 'con' or anything but this is not the first time i noticed it
the mouse in the menus, talking, etc seems laggy. however this has nothing to do with the mouse or anything like it... mouse is not laggy in windows, [content edited] mouse is not even laggy in oblivion looking around, but when you actually have a mouse and are clicking stuff it is a good half second behind. just really does more than annoy and confuse. i have no idea what this is or why it happens but oblivion is not the first.

4am but its been a hard day for a pro gamer so im going to bed

The opinions expressed above exactly represent those of the Intel Corporation and all of its affiliates.
 03/25/2006 12:49 PM

Author Icon
SneakyLilBastard

quote:

Originally posted by: Unknown and there are some prescripted actions like knocking down logs.

That wasn't a script. What happened is you either stepped on a floor plate or on a trip-wire. There's tons of traps in this game. I love baiting monsters into their own traps.

Heh, I was in this one dungeon and there was a bridge with a skeleton on the other side but a trap in the middle of it. I shot an arrow at the skeleton and it came charging. Well it tripped it's own trap and all of a sudden three big ol' spiked ball and chains came flying across the air which knocked him off the bridge real far, lol.

quote:

Originally posted by: Unknown everything is up but AA is 2x and HDR is off (oblivion is SMART... it says my card cant do both!

Nah, it's not auto-detecting that you have an nvidia card to show that, all cards aren't able to have AA and HDR on, even ATI cards. They're using a customized HDR thing which won't allow both to be on. Friggin sucks. I have my game set to have AA and Bloom on instead of HDR as I hate jaggies with the HDR. I can see em even at 1920x1200. And the HDR is overdone anyways so the Bloom is better, in my opinion.

- N

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ | ASUS A8R-MVP CF X1600 | AMD Radeon X1900XTX 512MB | <a href="http://www.
 03/25/2006 01:18 PM

Author Icon
TheReturnOfAZ

no im talking about the part in the tutorial where you knock over the logs
and even a trap is scripted
i mean it has a physics system but the big things dont move unless its scripted

WOW that really sucks i was hoping once i got my x1900xt id be able to fix that, SURELY theyll release an update once they realize ATI owners are able to do this, right?
either way i was not aware you could do bloom and AA, id be content all though wanting

hows the x1900xt + 2405fpw with this game
with vsync and maxed AA and bloom, does it stay at 60? im yet to go outside but much of it is 30fps unless ive already seen it, with 2xAA and no HDR.

03/25/2006 07:38 PM

Author Icon
Cow187

The things dont move unless you trip the wire, and you only trip the wire if you touch it, ieyou can jump over it.

The only thing thats "scripted" is the fact that if you touch the trap, the logs get released (kinda like a real life trap would do huh?), they then fall and roll in complete free form and full physics, nothing scripted about that.

The quests are great, I've been playing for hours on end and every quest seems new and fresh even if its basic principle is the same as others.

At 1280x1024 I hardly even notice the aliasing, I've noticed them less in this game then any 3D game I've played. At 1024x768 they become more noticeable, as always happens at lower resolutions.

Also if someone wants a grass tweak for the .ini file (you can backup the original of course) it will allow you to have the full or whatever you want grass draw distance, yet will run alot smoother because it spreads out the grass more and uses less variations.

The full grass draw distance with all default .ini setings can really hit your performance hard in the outdoor forest areas, especially with shadows and creatures running around, and lowering the draw distance makes the grass pop in around you, so this gives you alot better performance for practically the same visual appeal.

So yea, PM me if your interested.

AMD64 3500+ Newcastle
Asus A8V Deluxe
2x512mb DDR400
ATI X850 Pro @ X850 XT
NEC 3500 16x DVD
470W Enermax Noisetaker
Viewsonic VP171b 17" 8ms LCD
 03/25/2006 07:49 PM

Author Icon
TheReturnOfAZ

no you keep referring to a trap this is NOT a trap in the tutorial YOU are the one who pushes over a pile of logs and they roll down a hill. i see piles of rocks and barrels all the time, they wont budge. that means this was scripted.

im not sure what you mean about the grass... are you saying infinite grass means better performance?

at 1920x1200 with most effects up but self-shadowing and AA and HDR off, im still getting like 20fps when i put the grass distance up all the way, and the distant lands still look like total trash. CPU usage is the same as using firefox almost and the RAM usage is minimal... i just sent bethesda an email saying release a patch that lets you have higher res textures for the hills and uses more RAM

i mean who has two x1900xtxs in crossfire and 1gb of RAM and a 3000+ because thats what the game seems like its designed for and its kind of pissing me off

03/25/2006 08:11 PM

Author Icon
the_untouchable

question? what is the recomended gpu for morrowind, i once tried to play it on an nvidia 6100 and it would not play right in 1024+768 mode gave me only 30 fps
 03/25/2006 09:47 PM

Author Icon
SneakyLilBastard

quote:

Originally posted by: Unknown hows the x1900xt + 2405fpw with this game
with vsync and maxed AA and bloom, does it stay at 60? im yet to go outside but much of it is 30fps unless ive already seen it, with 2xAA and no HDR.

In dungeons, indoors, and inside towns it's no problem, 45-80 FPS. Outside though, there's some parts where my system can chug down to 8 FPS (mainly when loading a new area while being chased by monsters in a heavy foilage area)! On average though, it's 15-45 FPS outdoors with the real average being around 25. There's soooooooo many objects that are rendered it's crazy, but it looks so damned beautiful it's hard to complain. I can tweak things to make it run faster at the expense of not feeling like I'm in a real forest, but I don't wanna do it. I don't wanna downgrade the graphics but make em better. I only wish there were a way to make the far off rendering of terrain look better, but I'm sure that'd put all systems to a halt, heh.

quote:

Originally posted by: Unknown no you keep referring to a trap this is NOT a trap in the tutorial YOU are the one who pushes over a pile of logs and they roll down a hill. i see piles of rocks and barrels all the time, they wont budge. that means this was scripted.

Well, just because you can push logs and not big rocks or barrels, it doesn't mean only traps are scripted, it's more like only certain items aren't movable with physics.

The way you mention "scripted", it's as if the same thing happens every time you do it and whatnot. Traps can be tripped various ways whether you trip a tripwire, shoot a tripwire, have a monster walk over it, or whatever. And if you have an item blocking a trap, the trap won't do the exact same physics and react the same way. You can use items to block it so it's not a "one way only" type of "script".

Heh, regarding the physics. I saw an NPC sit down at a table and began eating. I put a plate in front of him and once he was finished, he stood up and as his hands pushed the table so get out of his seat, his fist sent the plate flying across the room spinning, lol. I thought that was pretty cool.

- N

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ | ASUS A8R-MVP CF X1600 | AMD Radeon X1900XTX 512MB | <a href="http://www.
 03/25/2006 09:53 PM

Author Icon
TheReturnOfAZ

oh i see nevermind i guess i chose the wrong word

there is a physics system but only a small selection of objects abide by it

do you use vsync? because i cannot stand tearing, but i dont like getting 15fps when i could be getting almost 30.

03/25/2006 10:27 PM

Author Icon
aTES

some screen shots

when in the caves 4x and max everything plays awesome

but when you get outside 2xAA and max everthing and high catalastyt iq but no water,self shadow,grass shadow, theres no way 4x is playable unless you turn down other settings

AMD x2 4200+ OC'd @ 2.67
CoolerMaster Hyper48
DFI LP Ultra-D
x1900xt 689/774
2x1 G-Skill HZ 267mhz
WD 2x200GB Sata Raid0
SB Audidgy2 ZS
Antec P180
Antec 500w
ViewSonic VX924
3DMark05-11,986 3DMark06-6187
 03/25/2006 10:52 PM

Author Icon
shazaam

How do you guys think 1gig RAM, Athlon 3400, 1800XT(still waitin for it) would do?
Also does this game have real good audio like buy a soundcard type of good compared to integrated and nice headphones(already have the headphones)?
 03/26/2006 02:07 AM

Author Icon
TheReturnOfAZ

ates you should increase grass radius
in the video options, you can scroll down... i just found that
because it looks like you have a really small grass radius

03/26/2006 06:13 AM

Author Icon
aTES

grass radius? theres no option for the radius, theres distance which is on max

AMD x2 4200+ OC'd @ 2.67
CoolerMaster Hyper48
DFI LP Ultra-D
x1900xt 689/774
2x1 G-Skill HZ 267mhz
WD 2x200GB Sata Raid0
SB Audidgy2 ZS
Antec P180
Antec 500w
ViewSonic VX924
3DMark05-11,986 3DMark06-6187
 03/26/2006 06:26 AM

Author Icon
SneakyLilBastard

In the oblivion ini/config file in your my documents/my games folder.

Also you can bump your uGridsToLoad from 5 to 7 or 9 to get further distance rendering than allows in the in-game settings.

- N

03/26/2006 01:20 PM

Author Icon
Erasmus
Alpha Geek

I'm going to best buy today and getting Oblivion on my 360!!!!

w00t, now i'll be sitting in front of my tv for 200+ hours lmfao.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 720 @ 2.8ghz
RAM: G.Skill RipJaw DDR3 1600, 8gb - 2gbx4
GPU: ASUS HD 5770 (1gb, 850/1200)
MOBO: BIOSTAR TA790GXB3
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 650W
 03/26/2006 03:20 PM

Author Icon
Cow187

lol how can you just finnish complaining about low FPS in outdoors and then demand that the developers release a patch to increase the frther off texture resolution?

This is the most strenous game out there right now from what I've seen, more so then FEAR for sure, they had to make some limitations to make it playable.

Not only that, buy in the .ini you can infact increase the resolution of those far off textures, but its gonna make a huge impact on performance.

What I ment about my grass tweaks, is that you can have the grass set to the max draw distance, yet it has less variation in grass types and more spread out, ending in the performance of having grass almost off, at the full gras draw distance, and visually looks almost just as good.

Either way, visuals are only 1 peice of this extremely great and open ended game, and I know my friend plays it on his 2.6ghz P4 512mb RAM 9600XT on medium/low settings 800x600, and he still enjoys the game just as much as I do.

And for whoever asked, an X1800 XT will do great with this game, 1280x1024 with full settings (maybe my grass tweak for extra forest performance) and HDR should be possible, or if you'd rather bloom + AA instead of just HDR.

Also the only time now that I can actually notice slow downs, is when there are alot of enemies around, more so in an outdoor enviorment. I would think they could improve performance in this area through some code optimization in a later patch, but even if they didn't, I still love the game.

AMD64 3500+ Newcastle
Asus A8V Deluxe
2x512mb DDR400
ATI X850 Pro @ X850 XT
NEC 3500 16x DVD
470W Enermax Noisetaker
Viewsonic VP171b 17" 8ms LCD
 03/26/2006 04:31 PM

Author Icon
TheReturnOfAZ

...because it barely uses any RAM. if they used the RAM to store the textures then it wouldnt make performance any worse. i see it with my keyboard in-game and my CPU is barely being used as with the RAM

and it still slows down

theyre just assuming you have dual x1900xt or something, and 1gb of RAM

03/26/2006 06:13 PM

Author Icon
proudmoore2

i hate it when games use system ram for textures. Oblivion uses 413mb of system Ram and im running it on high at 1440x900. It runs okay. Little laggy ever so often but normally smooth and defiantely playable.

it looks great.

The game play rules. Its not boring like Morrowind was. With a decent storyline and getting into the action quicker it makes this game insanely entertaining.
It would have been worth it even if i had actually bought it

i hope this doesnt become the next game people [content edited] about not running very well when its really them just not being able to say I'll just run it medium. The game is a great game regardless though it has given me a couple random crashes. Maybe there will be a patch for that. But i dont notice slowdown in outdoors. Only in the dungeon area where with alot of enemies.

AMD OPTERON 165 at 2.475 GHZ, 2 gigs Corsair XMS, As Rock Sata 2 board. Connect 3D 256mb x1900GT at 591/716, Western digital 160gig SATA, 80 gig ATA 100, Creative Labs X-fi extreme music, Ultra Xconnect 500watt modular, Acer 1916W, Saitek Eclipse Keyboard, , Ultra UV wizard Mid T case, Logitech MX 1000 , Logitech z5500 5.1 THX speakers(amp fried so im currently using a set of panosonics 160watt shelf system, 2 speakers, soon to be replaced by z5450s) , Leather Executive chair.
AMD Processors » AMD Enthusiast Community » Gaming and Lan Parties » (')BLIVION discussion

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information