Increase font size
Topic Title: SMP and Phenom II
Topic Summary: first time with the SMP client
Created On: 02/15/2009 02:40 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/15/2009 02:40 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Xajel
Case Modder

Hey everybody, I'm trying to run the SMP client on my new Phenom II

but as it's just the first time I'm playing with the SMP client, I have some questions

1- is there any easier way than all these steps !! I hate doing this !!
2- can I open it as a services as there's no GUI for it, I don't like the fact that it's running in the CMD window all the time !!

or at least is it okay ( and possible ) to run two instance of x86 client and give some affinity settings to these clients ?
 02/15/2009 11:26 AM

Author Icon
TLH

The client is designed to run on 4 cores. I have it running as a service on my dualcore machine. There is a guide here which should help... http://www.stanford.edu/group/...inSMPGuideMPICH#ntoc5

Bear in mind that this is in relation to the ordinary stuff and you still need to make a passworded account etc..

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

1100t on M5A99x-EVO with 2x4gb and 6870 running Win7 on Force120 ssd in Corsair 600t cooled by H100. Folding for team 34106
 02/16/2009 10:55 AM

Author Icon
KnoxAustin

I assume that you are running your SMP clients on Vista? You don't really mention your OS.

Do you have the option of running the SMP clients in a Linux OS? It's so easy to get the SMP clients working in Linux, assuming you are already somewhat familiar with Linux already. It's literally unzip and go.

I used to have the same attitude about running FAH in a command window, but honestly I like it better now. If you use your machine all the time like I do, you're constantly turning FAH on and off as you use or reboot your machine. The command windows lets you see exactly how the FAH client is doing, as it prints a log to the screen, and it's easy to stop and start the client when you want to.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information