Increase font size
Topic Title: best way to fold with multi core processor
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/15/2009 07:18 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/15/2009 07:18 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

Hey all.

I'm trying to get my machine back to folding, and I see there's a new client out. I never messed with the SMP client, so I'm not sure what it is. With my multi core machine, I always extracted the .exe to two folders, say Folding1 and Folding2. I ran one, went to the task manager, set the affinity to the first core. Then set it up. I did the same with the other .exe for the second core.

Like this I could just run two folding instances simultaneously and it worked fine.

Is this the best thing I could be doing with this machine? I noticed an option at the end of the setup that said disable CPU affinity lock. What is that for?

Thanks!

-------------------------
My GT430 Is Folding For AMD Team 34106
FOR A GOOD CAUSE---Accepting Donations of New, Used, Working, Nonworking PC Components
Thanks to KLEETUS for his generous donation of components!!
 12/16/2009 08:17 AM

Author Icon
TLH

SMP on my FX60 turns in slightly more points than the standard exe client. SMP=847-1141ppd compared to 644ppd ( I only ever got 905 point units and 322ppd each, no overclock) on the standard run on both cores.

I run everything as a service.. If you want to run SMP you'll need the client and then the drop in replacement too to replace the executable. Both available st the link below. Only the mpich version works on 64 bit OS, deino only works on 32 bit. I always had trouble with the deino version anyway.

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther

You must have netframework v2 and a passworded account to run on. Just follow the guide...

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinSMPGuideMPICH

I think if you disable the affinity lock it tries to run one smp client on each core rather than one on all four cores, so don't do it. lol.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

1100t on M5A99x-EVO with 2x4gb and 6870 running Win7 on Force120 ssd in Corsair 600t cooled by H100. Folding for team 34106
 12/16/2009 06:26 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

I'll take a look at that, thanks!

I guess I would have to run the deino version....I only have XP x32.

My GT430 Is Folding For AMD Team 34106
FOR A GOOD CAUSE---Accepting Donations of New, Used, Working, Nonworking PC Components
Thanks to KLEETUS for his generous donation of components!!
 12/17/2009 06:52 AM

Author Icon
TLH

If you can get it going right, both versions will work for you though. I remember thinking it would be better than mpich but I can't remember why I thought that. I ended up with mpich on XP 32bit anyway because I could never figure out how to get it to run over 50%. MPICH has less problems for me, it installs and works straight off the bat with minimum fussing over it.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

1100t on M5A99x-EVO with 2x4gb and 6870 running Win7 on Force120 ssd in Corsair 600t cooled by H100. Folding for team 34106
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information