Increase font size
Topic Title: Bringing on 2 more pc's tonight hopefully
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/05/2004 06:34 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/05/2004 06:34 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
zxoltar

my wifes pc 1.6ghz p4 and the kids 800mhz pIII.

yea yea I know intels, I got those before I knew better.

just have to open them up and get the fans cleaned up and stuff before I put them to folding as they can get a touch warm under full load. figure by getting all the fans cleaned up and all the dust out that they should be ok, will just have to keep an eye on them to make sure. compared to my AMD64 which runs like a champ under load.

definately never going intel again.

-------------------------

LVSeminole says: "Prescott does have its uses tho.....1:its the butt of alot of jokes....2:Its a 2-in-1 thing....CPU/Space heater."
Folding for team 34106' ">http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/
 04/05/2004 07:07 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

Sounds good.

Containment Breach

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
 04/06/2004 01:47 PM

Author Icon
zxoltar

oh golly, guess it's good that I started folding on my wifes pc, and noticed the temps rise a little high for my liking. took fan off the heatsink, cleaned it really well, cleaned out the dirt from the heatsink and then noticed something strange. This dang pc had no front intake or rear exhaust fans. guess that is what I get for buying a cheap pc from bestbuy a few years ago.

heading down to a local shop this afternoon to get a couple fans and should have it folding at 100% this evening. then will be working on my old Micron pc and getting it all cleaned up and ready to fold.

LVSeminole says: "Prescott does have its uses tho.....1:its the butt of alot of jokes....2:Its a 2-in-1 thing....CPU/Space heater."
 04/10/2004 07:55 AM

Author Icon
zxoltar

oh golly what to say, this local shop is nothing but a big friggin rip off. at there website they had some fans listed at $5 each, so went down to their store, and they had them for $13 at the store, and they didn't even have connectors, just bare wire. they did have some 3 pin led fans, but they wanted $24 for each fan, what a crock. I was so pissed, I stayed and looked around and in the front of the store they where showing off a custom case they modded, or at least that is what they say. was nothing more than a chieftec case with a window.

Now get this, this pc was their showcase pc in the front of the shop and i looked in it, and the wiring looked like a cluster f***. And I told them that it is sad that they display a pc with this [content edited] of a wiring job, no cable sleeving not even an attempt to route the cables or tie them up at all. was disgusting and for that they charged some 400 bucks holy geez. I should get into this business. would only charge 50 for a general assembly and for a good wiring job another 50 as that takes me longer than putting entire pc together.

anyways, got 2 fans from newegg in 2 days installed them last night, and fired that puppy up and started folding at 100% and temps stayed steady at 47C all night long, where before it would jump to 50 almost instantly and keep climbing. definately a keeper. Cleaned up the boys pc yesterday. lots and lots of furballs in that sucker, but is all nice and purty now. so will start getting the data moved off of it. then get it folding.

on a side note. Norton Friggin sucks. installed AVG on these 2 pcs as I had it on mine, 6 friggin trojans, and 3 virus's that have been on this pc for 6 months and Norton never found them. but AVG did and it even found them before I updated the virus def. holy geez. Norton will never get another dime from me.

04/11/2004 09:56 PM

Author Icon
zxoltar

oh golly this is so funny.

using the 400 frame tinker for reference:

my pc: amd 64 3200+: 1 frame 6 min to complete
wifes pc: p4 1.6ghz: 1 frame 17 min. to complete
kids pc: p3 800mhz: 1 frame sometime this week. hahaha

04/11/2004 09:59 PM

Author Icon
Ardrid
Heavy Wizardry

Roflmao! Yeah, P4s get owned by Tinkers.

Intel Core i7 860
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
Corsair HX650W
Corsair XMS DDR3-1333 (4GB @ 8-8-8-24)
Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
 04/11/2004 10:16 PM

Author Icon
zxoltar

One AMD 64 3200+ - $282
1 gig of Mushkin 222 ram - $250
ability to complete 1 tinker in less than a month - Priceless

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information