Increase font size
Topic Title: me and p4
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/05/2004 03:15 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/05/2004 03:15 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
xkharn999x

ok, this is my first post, LVseminol told me a about folding so i did it and almost caught up to him , but i am using p4's! I know it horrible, but i am getting a 64 here soon so plz dont hit me with sticks, anyways, what is this sse stuff that i have and how does it work, cause the 250's go slow but the 1000s for fast, wut is up with that?

-------------------------
*I'm rick james B!TCH*
TRUTH' ">http://www.nobeliefs.com/no.htm
AMD64 3400+
ati 9700 pro
1gb cosiar twinx ddr400
chaintech zenith znf3-250
trublu 280 antec
WD caviar 160gb 7200rpm
and mad couter-strike/WCiii skills
 02/05/2004 06:25 AM

Author Icon
marc2003

yeah i noticed you on the team stats. good work! i don't think anyone will mind you contributing with p4. it's all for the common good.

there is a command line switch to run called -forcesse but you only use it on amd processors. it is automatically enabled on pentiums. so when you get your amd create a shortcut something like

FAH4Console.exe -forceSSE -verbosity 9

the verbosity just gives you more information on what's going on and with errors.

i'm hardly in a position to say welcome to the forums being a noob myself but anyways. welcome
 02/05/2004 12:24 PM

Author Icon
LVSeminole
Nanotechnology Guru

Yeah, Cant even get my name spelled right! Anyway, its for AMD's. P4's enable sse as a default. 3Dnow gets enabled by default on AMD systems....You will find this out on your Athlon 64. But, in order for the AMD crowd to enable SSE, you would go to the Shortcut in the Start menu, and when you get to the folding@home icon, wherever you put it, right click it, properties, and in the target line, you would put " -forceSSE". And...well heck...lemme cut and paste it for you..."C:\Program Files\Folding@Home\winfah.exe" -forceSSE. Thats what it looks like on my PC. But, your P4's, they are ok. They enable SSE anyway, and some AMD's have trouble doing that, enabling it. So sometimes, the AMD crowd is stuck with 3dnow!. Its better than nothing, but I saw a 30-40% increase probably in my times. But, yeah, this guy here..."P4 boy", he has been hearing it from me for....I dont know how long, about how he needs to ditch the Intel side, and come to the good side....the AMD side. He is finally cooperating, and here soon, if he gets anymore PC's, he will be keeping Ard up at night, cause his crown might be jeopardy. Well, not for awhile anyway, he is kinda out of reach at the moment. But the thing is, when he gets his AMD64, I am going to buy his p4! haha Hey, I am still going to slap some AMD stickers on it!

LVS

- AMD FX 8120
- ATI/AMD HD 7970
- Biostar TA990FXE
- 16 GB's of some flashy Crucial RAM
- Buncha HDDs sucking up way too much power
- Win7 Ultimate x64/Ubuntu x64
-A lot of other crap that I can't remember.
- Wurd?
 02/05/2004 06:25 PM

Author Icon
marc2003

QUOTE (LVSeminole @ Feb 5 2004, 09:24 AM) I am going to buy his p4! haha   Hey, I am still going to slap some AMD stickers on it! 
lol
 02/05/2004 10:54 PM

Author Icon
Pro Kid

Just wondering, is there a way to enable 3dNow on P4s.

Life is hard you know this $hit gets taxin,
Thats why when ya find me Ima be relaxin...
 02/06/2004 01:05 AM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

Nope. P4s don't support 3DNow.

Containment Breach

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information