Increase font size
Topic Title: Uninstalling service.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/03/2005 05:10 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/03/2005 05:10 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
TLH

It may sound stupid but I mucked up the service install and now I want to get rid of it all and start again fresh.I installed as a service and filled out the options,it downloaded a core and a WU,a p1803,started up and then I got "client service shutdown" or something like it.
Whenever I restart the puter the service shuts down straight away.
Anyone know how to remove the service itself from the list so I can start afresh?

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

1100t on M5A99x-EVO with 2x4gb and 6870 running Win7 on Force120 ssd in Corsair 600t cooled by H100. Folding for team 34106
 09/03/2005 06:58 PM

Author Icon
TLH

OK.I think I cracked it.Found this over at the Folding@Home support forum

QUOTE(k_madsen)if you want to delete the registry input then start the regedit.exe goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SYSTEM->CurrentControlset->Services and find the FAH@C:+folding+fah502-console service and delete it.If you only remove/rename the FAH502-Console.exe then the service will start again when the file is back in the direktory.(after REBOOT) 
Deleted the folder,deleted the registry entry and restarted and now everything is back to normal.
Now I can start again.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

1100t on M5A99x-EVO with 2x4gb and 6870 running Win7 on Force120 ssd in Corsair 600t cooled by H100. Folding for team 34106
 10/16/2005 04:04 AM

Author Icon
Sunset1

QUOTE(TLH @ Sep 3 2005, 05:58 PM)OK.I think I cracked it.Found this over at the Folding@Home support forum

QUOTE(k_madsen)if you want to delete the registry input then start the regedit.exe goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SYSTEM->CurrentControlset->Services and find the FAH@C:+folding+fah502-console service and delete it.If you only remove/rename the FAH502-Console.exe then the service will start again when the file is back in the direktory.(after REBOOT) 
Deleted the folder,deleted the registry entry and restarted and now everything is back to normal.
Now I can start again.
[right][snapback]494593[/snapback][/right]

I have a question on the subject as I have the GUI version installed as a service, and now two console modes installed as a service. (one instance of each running currently till I finish my last Work Unit .)

The GUI was installed first on my dual as I learned the program now I installed the console mode to enable both processors. I will remove GUI version when it finishes with its work and run both console modes exclusivly.

Thru the console cant I just re-run the -configonly flag and say no to the installation as a service to remove the service? I haven't tried it yet but wouldn't that accomplish the same task as removing the registry entry without having everyone "venture" into the registry? Just a thought. I was wondering if anyone had tried it before.

In my case it may be benificial to hack the registry because the machine id of the gui version and the console version are the same. I might wipe out info from one while "fixing the other". This is hypothetical on my part but Ill follow up if I dont hear from anyone when I finish this work order.

This is windows xp pro new install service pack 2 Oem cd install.
Thanks again
Sunset1

[FONT=Courier][SIZE=7][COLOR=blue][QUOTE]
"Moores Law says the computing power will double in speed every 18 months but Murphy's Law says the chip won't fit your motherboard and you will need a upgrade." Sunset1
 10/16/2005 07:53 AM

Author Icon
TLH

I wasn't aware you could install the GUI as a service.
As to re-running the console with the -configonly flag I'm not sure it would uninstall it,it may just stop the service from running.
If no-one else here knows join the Stanford forums and post there,they'll know.

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information