Increase font size
Topic Title: Screensaver
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/03/2005 12:23 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/03/2005 12:23 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
TheReturnOfAZ

I got the screensaver version, and sure it's buggier blah blah blah but I like how it is a screen saver... anyway

I think it is only using a small bit of CPU, it is set to lowest resources, but I want it to work like this:

If nothing else is running, it uses 100%, if something else is running, it uses very little.

Like set it to low priority, but use 100% of CPU? Is there a way? Because mine only does like 300 in 24hrs..

EDIT also what about making it use 2 cores?

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above exactly represent those of the Intel Corporation and all of its affiliates.
Official Intel™ Propaganda Spreader
"Bringing you the benchmarks that everyone knows are fake" ~ SINCE 2006 ~<!--
 08/03/2005 06:36 PM

Author Icon
flippin_waffles

well, as far as i know, there is no multithreaded client out yet. the way you have to do it is run two seperate instances of it.

as for the other, i think if you were to have a backround task running with the screensaver, then one core should run the backround task/screensaver, while one does the folding. if that's not what you meant, you can always set the processor scheduling to give priority to backround tasks.
 08/04/2005 05:01 AM

Author Icon
Old Camper

Why not use the console version?

It's no messing around, plus you can set it up as a service too - incase you're forgetful and forget to switch on Folding @ Home like I always do.

Besides, the screensaver version isn't really a screensaver. It just helps prevent phosphorus burn-in on the monitor. The best screensaver is to turn off the monitor when you're not using it. If you're forgetful, then set Windows to switch it off after 15 minutes of idling (that's what I do). Either way, you'll be saving some power and in turn saving on your electricity bill. Keep in mind that monitors (just like TVs and VCRs) still use power when in their standby mode, and that's actually where a lot of power is wasted in and around the home.

On that note, turn it off /wink.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='wink.gif' />

Old Camper.

One day, humanity will advance forward and leave behind our humble little world to reach innumerable heights of technology, evolution and civilization, to bring our imaginations into the unsuspecting universe and ourselves... play God.
| Email/MSN: old_camper@hotmail.com | Visit the SSAA | IRC @ #forums.amd.irc on irc.d
 08/04/2005 11:21 AM

Author Icon
TheReturnOfAZ

i dont use screensavers either, i know, its just nice to know it will never interrupt me, that whenever i leave for work (and turn off the monitor) or go to sleep then it is doing its thing.

The opinions expressed above exactly represent those of the Intel Corporation and all of its affiliates.
Official Intel™ Propaganda Spreader
"Bringing you the benchmarks that everyone knows are fake" ~ SINCE 2006 ~<!--
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information