Increase font size
Topic Title: Need help with HTML coding for F@H monitoring
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/17/2005 01:28 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/17/2005 01:28 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Logan[TeamX]

Need help with this one.

I have a Javascript that runs in a drop-down box. It allows you to select one of 6 machines on my home network and view the unitinfo.txt information about the current machine's F@H progress in a very rudimentary manner.

The problem is that the script doesn't work outside of my network /blink.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='blink.gif' />

It calls to locally-published mini web-servers on port 80 and opens that particular text file within the parent (host) frame. Clicking the back button in any web browser puts you back where you started so you can choose another machine, or clicking the Home link in the navigation frame does the same thing.

How can I fix this so that external web viewers can see the text file contents? This would be a neat way to view the status of each of my headless boxes while I'm at work. I hate setting up VPN listeners and PPTP passthroughs, etc. Quite annoying.

Alternatively, how can I embed the contents of each text file into a fixed-view table on my main (home) page?

Thanks guys.
 08/17/2005 03:29 PM

Author Icon
Logan[TeamX]

I've got my one programmer here at the office working on something for me.

What we need to do is twofold:

- Pull the unitinfo.txt file off each diskless machine

- Compile the data from each flat file into one, nicely-formatted HTML table.

We're on this. As soon as we have a working, clean solution I'll share it with everyone.
 08/17/2005 10:46 PM

Author Icon
Logan[TeamX]

Still nothing.

Everything I attempt has the client finally polling an internal IP source and that obviously fails. I'm quite frustrated by this, I wasn't anticipating this level of difficulty.

Anyone?
 08/17/2005 11:31 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

Personally, javascript isn't the language I'd use for something like this. I'm not sure if it can be done in javascript actually, since javascript does everything on the client machine. I'd probably write it in Perl as a CGI script.

-------------------------
Containment Breach

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
 08/18/2005 07:18 AM

Author Icon
Logan[TeamX]

OK then I'm doubly screwed as I know 0 Perl /tongue.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='tongue.gif' />

/smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />
 08/18/2005 03:05 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

You could probably make it work in PHP also. That might be quicker than having to deal with CGI.

-------------------------
Containment Breach

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
 08/18/2005 03:34 PM

Author Icon
Logan[TeamX]

*scratches head* I'm so not a webmonkey /tongue.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='tongue.gif' />

I know basic HTML and some really basic Javascript. I'm so sad /smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />

I've got a basic program written in VB.NET from my programmer here at work, it uses GET commands to harvest each of the text files from the diskless machines and then stores them locally. The rest is cake for me.

Once I've tested it thoroughly, I'll publish it for the team's use. /smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />

EDIT - tonight's initial test worked like a charm. Now to get the "playlist" of files to download repeatedly working and to get the schedule working as a programmable variable. *cracks the whip*

/biggrin.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='biggrin.gif' />

EDIT X2: Development goes well. You can specify a "reload" rate in minutes, and the overwrite of existing files is silent and automatic.

The downside is that multiple queued files will all write to the same destination - my friend is working on that as we speak /biggrin.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='biggrin.gif' />

Otherwise, it's sweet - it has colour-coded graphics to tell you if the utility is running, stopped, or has triggered a file transfer error. There's also a "pull now" button to instantly attempt a copy of the remote log file - useful if you're adding a new source location and you want to test without waiting for the timer.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information