Increase font size
Topic Title: Advertising folding.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/11/2005 11:55 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/11/2005 11:55 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
killaz1337

Hey guys, lets discuss a day in which we postin the general technology section of this site promoting our users to fold.

Look at our stats page, and look at how many people stopped folding, we need to get them back, along with new folders.

Just think how much of a difference if each of the non-folders just get 100 points a day.

I mean that's a BIG difference. WE need every bit of help we can get.

Chris,

-------------------------
[b][u]System 1)| AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Windsor | Abit KN9 Ultra W/ nForce 570 Ultra Chipset | 1GB (512x2) OCZ DDR-II 800 @4-4-4-12[/b][/u]
 11/12/2005 12:17 AM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

yea...ive got folding runnin on my moms duron machine, on my prescott rig, on my san diego rig, and i suppose i could get it running on the Venice also..

when you think about it, theres no work involved. tell it to start up with windows. the program is relatively smart when it comes to letting other programs have the CPU power, so u really shouldnt even notice its running unless your gaming, not to mention it does everythign by itself: sends and recieves the files, as well as the actual folding....so yea, wats the problem?

My GT430 Is Folding For AMD Team 34106
FOR A GOOD CAUSE---Accepting Donations of New, Used, Working, Nonworking PC Components
Thanks to KLEETUS for his generous donation of components!!
 11/12/2005 10:43 AM

Author Icon
Dancer

QUOTE(killaz1337 @ Nov 12 2005, 12:55 AM)Hey guys, lets discuss a day in which we postin the general technology section of this site promoting our users to fold.

Look at our stats page, and look at how many people stopped folding, we need to get them back, along with new folders.

Just think how much of a difference if each of the non-folders just get 100 points a day.

I mean that's a BIG difference. WE need every bit of help we can get.

Chris,
[right][snapback]544132[/snapback][/right]

It's Done! /wink.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='wink.gif' />

Come join our Team and help find cures for the world!
AMD FORUM FOLDERS

<span st
 02/07/2006 09:22 PM

Author Icon
Sunset1

quote:

Originally posted by: Dancer
It's Done!

In a word long term energy usage. Hrm thats three. So I try to make sure Im getting some work out of the ones that are using da juice. As energy bills go up it's what we start looking at.
Funny thing tho Im sure there is a direct relationship between the therms I use and the BTU's my CPU's are putting out.

For now Ill heat the house with the duals.
Sunset1

[FONT=Courier][SIZE=7][COLOR=blue][QUOTE]
"Moores Law says the computing power will double in speed every 18 months but Murphy's Law says the chip won't fit your motherboard and you will need a upgrade." Sunset1
 02/08/2006 09:32 AM

Author Icon
Logan[TeamX]

Most people waste more power running their large (17" and up) CRT monitors than they do having the CPU go from idle to 100% load.

Even my old Imago 15" CRT eats 60W or so when on. Tested it with a Kill-a-Watt tester.

I ought to scan my hydro bill and show the masses how much I DON'T use.
 02/08/2006 10:53 AM

Author Icon
Silk_the_Absent1

quote:

Originally posted by: Unknown ' date='Feb 8 2006, 07:32 AM' post='616651']I ought to scan my hydro bill and show the masses how much I DON'T use.

Well, that does explain the smell

-Adam
 02/08/2006 11:44 PM

Author Icon
Sunset1

quote:

Originally posted by: Silk_the_Absent1

-Adam

Ahh cant you just feel the love in this room!
hehe

Sunset1

"Moores Law says the computing power will double in speed every 18 months but Murphy's Law says the chip won't fit your motherboard and you will need a upgrade." Sunset1
 02/09/2006 12:00 AM

Author Icon
Sunset1

quote:

Originally posted by: Silk_the_Absent1 ' date='Feb 8 2006, 08:32 AM' post='616651']
Most people waste more power running their large (17" and up) CRT monitors than they do having the CPU go from idle to 100% load.

Even my old Imago 15" CRT eats 60W or so when on. Tested it with a Kill-a-Watt tester.

I ought to scan my hydro bill and show the masses how much I DON'T use.

Yup I have a 21" analog IBM p 202" that was replaced by a 19 lcd samsung 191t" but when money got tight and my sons old 15" monitor when down, The IBM 21" came out of retirement and went to my workstation. The new 19" ( cheap acer ) I had ordered went to my son who didnt have the space for the Massive monitor.

Oh well It still is a awesome picture.
Sunset1

quote:

Originally posted by: Silk_the_Absent1

-Adam

My god man you have hit over 11,000 posts. Whoohooo. Thats some talking.
[content edited] of a job.

Sunset1

02/10/2006 04:58 AM

Author Icon
paw64

I picked up a cheap 4 port KVM switch at monoprice.com ($19+shipping) saved alot of space.

I borg when I can. Iv got it running of 7 CPUs activley. Im heading to a LAN party saterday...
If I install it in consol mode, and then have it run as a service... would someone ever know? (not @ 100%)

Also Iv just got 4 old (133Mhz-733Mhz) boxes to run.

Shoud I get an OS on all of them and fold as 4 seperate boxes?

Or should I try a single HDD folding farm; like Mime's Project? (this would be lower energy )

Is that... smoke?
 02/10/2006 03:20 PM

Author Icon
Sunset1

quote:

Originally posted by: paw64
I picked up a cheap 4 port KVM switch at monoprice.com ($19+shipping) saved alot of space.

I borg when I can. Iv got it running of 7 CPUs activley. Im heading to a LAN party saterday...
If I install it in consol mode, and then have it run as a service... would someone ever know? (not @ 100%)

Also Iv just got 4 old (133Mhz-733Mhz) boxes to run.

Shoud I get an OS on all of them and fold as 4 seperate boxes?

Or should I try a single HDD folding farm; like Mime's Project? (this would be lower energy )

This is still theory for me but I know there is a diskless solution that there is a writeup on from one of the guys. I don't know if it can be used in a "borg" situation tho. Sorry I couldnt think of the word. hehe

that would eliminate the os install if I understand it correctly.
Sunset1

02/11/2006 11:06 AM

Author Icon
Logan[TeamX]

It'll run as a service, but the user would figure out fairly quickly that the CPU is being bashed 24/7. Also, I don't consider it good form to do that and neither does Stanford U.

The LTSP project would work, or you could just use the folding CD method as well. I'd personally exclude anything under a 500MHz P-III or K7-700MHz. The power just isn't there otherwise, especially for Amber cores with zero optimizations.

It takes my Celeron 466MHz (with 64k L2) over 5 DAYS to do a project 1850 Amber core.

http://reilly.homeip.net/folding - start there if you're not comfortable with the whole network boot thing. It's also good if you have network cards that don't support a booting environment. It's the same setup I've got on 3 PCs right now till I get around to diskless folding.
 02/11/2006 01:23 PM

Author Icon
Sunset1

quote:

Originally posted by: Unknown ' date='Feb 11 2006, 10:06 AM' post='619082']
It'll run as a service, but the user would figure out fairly quickly that the CPU is being bashed 24/7. Also, I don't consider it good form to do that and neither does Stanford U.

The LTSP project would work, or you could just use the folding CD method as well. I'd personally exclude anything under a 500MHz P-III or K7-700MHz. The power just isn't there otherwise, especially for Amber cores with zero optimizations.

It takes my Celeron 466MHz (with 64k L2) over 5 DAYS to do a project 1850 Amber core.

http://reilly.homeip.net/folding - start there if you're not comfortable with the whole network boot thing. It's also good if you have network cards that don't support a booting environment. It's the same setup I've got on 3 PCs right now till I get around to diskless folding.

Sweet just the link I needed! Thanke
sunset1

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information