Increase font size
Topic Title: All I want for Christmas is a Render Farm :>
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/29/2005 12:43 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/29/2005 12:43 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Sunset1

I /wub.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='wub.gif' /> Hardware.

/smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' /> Building a render farm has been a idea of mine since the first article on distributed computing. The whole question was always how to do it. I have a a few boxes that I can put up.

I would like to be able to render projects for a living. But that is a pipe dream for now I just want to be able to make it work. /blink.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='blink.gif' />

Then I read this article on how to build one. /unsure.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='unsure.gif' /> ExtremeTech Article Build Your Own Render Farm' ">http://www.extremetech.com/art.../0,1697,1815797,00.asp

From the first movie that I encoded that took over 24 hours I wanted to be able to use more than one computer to do the work. Now that I have the tools will I do it?

Anyone else interested? /cool.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='cool.gif' />
Sunset1

-------------------------
[FONT=Courier][SIZE=7][COLOR=blue][QUOTE]
"Moores Law says the computing power will double in speed every 18 months but Murphy's Law says the chip won't fit your motherboard and you will need a upgrade." Sunset1
 01/22/2006 05:24 AM

Author Icon
paw64

Sounds like fun! Im spec-ing out a Photoshop canon, maybe thats not related. But Im very interested in some kind of cluster.

Is that... smoke?
 01/22/2006 11:29 AM

Author Icon
Logan[TeamX]

A nice dual-core or especially a 2P, dual-core render box will be able to render quite well. I can encode gorgeous 8Mbit DVD streams from my Canon Elura 80's raw AVI captures quite nicely on this new box. It was fairly quick even on my Winchester @ 2.4GHz.

Unless you've got a whack of cash to throw at about 4-5 Opteron 1xx dual-core boxes and then make THOSE GUYS your slaves... it's not worth the effort IMO.

Actually, I knew that article sounded familiar. A dual-processor, dual-core, NUMA-configured and aware box will decimate all with the example he gives there. I remember reading that article when it first came out, and I recall thinking to myself... what about AMD64 dual-cores? /huh.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='huh.gif' />

Say you use Opteron 270s. That's 8GHz of AMD64 horsepower, bone-stock. A proper board from Tyan allows you to exceed 9GB/sec of aggregate DDR400 bandwidth.

The most extreme thing you might need would be a large RAID-5 or RAID-0 drive array to handle all the good raw footage.

That's my honest opinion. I've got the following, and using Adobe Premiere, Ulead VideoStudio (this one is shamefully single-threaded) and even Windows Movie Maker (for low-bandwidth renders for the web) I can do just about anything my car club requires in very little time.
 01/22/2006 11:42 AM

Author Icon
Smogsy

erm what actully is a renderfarm?

i know graphic rendering but a farm?
 01/22/2006 12:20 PM

Author Icon
Sunset1

QUOTE(Logan[TeamX] @ Jan 22 2006, 11:29 AM)A nice dual-core or especially a 2P, dual-core render box will be able to render quite well. I can encode gorgeous 8Mbit DVD streams from my Canon Elura 80's raw AVI captures quite nicely on this new box. It was fairly quick even on my Winchester @ 2.4GHz.

Unless you've got a whack of cash to throw at about 4-5 Opteron 1xx dual-core boxes and then make THOSE GUYS your slaves... it's not worth the effort IMO.

Actually, I knew that article sounded familiar. A dual-processor, dual-core, NUMA-configured and aware box will decimate all with the example he gives there. I remember reading that article when it first came out, and I recall thinking to myself... what about AMD64 dual-cores? /huh.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='huh.gif' />

Say you use Opteron 270s. That's 8GHz of AMD64 horsepower, bone-stock. A proper board from Tyan allows you to exceed 9GB/sec of aggregate DDR400 bandwidth.

The most extreme thing you might need would be a large RAID-5 or RAID-0 drive array to handle all the good raw footage.

That's my honest opinion. I've got the following, and using Adobe Premiere, Ulead VideoStudio (this one is shamefully single-threaded) and even Windows Movie Maker (for low-bandwidth renders for the web) I can do just about anything my car club requires in very little time.
[right][snapback]601809[/snapback][/right]

When I was attempting to edit on my canopus system a few years back the transitions were extrememly long and time consuming. Encoding was the big time waster also. Now I know that encoding has come a long way since then however so has the ability to render many objects at the same time.

The more you can do the more you will want to do.

In simple terms the more machines you can slave out to do background chores like rendering or encoding the more computing power you will have left over on your main machine.

I would not be looking for dual core machines for this type of project anyway as it would be a low cost project. Either using discarded or upgraded computers. If I did want to use processors the best cpu horsepower per dollar might still be the opteron 24X series. or the 14x series. However I have not followed it that closely in the last months.

It would also depend on the depth and the level of complexity of your composition. I am a novice at best but plan to get into this in great detail with my pinnacle liquid pro. Only time will tell.

Thanks for the feedback its always nice to hear from you Logan.
Mark aka Sunset1

"Moores Law says the computing power will double in speed every 18 months but Murphy's Law says the chip won't fit your motherboard and you will need a upgrade." Sunset1
 01/22/2006 08:27 PM

Author Icon
paw64

So, when it really comes down to it a renderfarm is like windows Beowolf cluster... Thats what Id like to get into.

Is that... smoke?
 01/26/2006 10:53 PM

Author Icon
vsingh
Voodoo Programmer

QUOTE(Smogsy @ Jan 22 2006, 12:42 PM)erm what actully is a renderfarm?

i know graphic rendering but a farm?
[right][snapback]601822[/snapback][/right]

a group of pc's clustered together all into one "computer" but over a network; all the work to be done is distributed among all the pc's on the network

linux virtual server is one way to do this:

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/' ">http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/

and so is LTSP (linux terminal server project), which is ideal for a folding farm:

http://www.ltsp.org/' ">http://www.ltsp.org/
 01/27/2006 02:20 PM

Author Icon
Sunset1

QUOTE(vsingh @ Jan 26 2006, 10:53 PM)a group of pc's clustered together all into one "computer" but over a network; all the work to be done is distributed among all the pc's on the network

linux virtual server is one way to do this:

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/' ">http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/

and so is LTSP (linux terminal server project), which is ideal for a folding farm:

http://www.ltsp.org/' ">http://www.ltsp.org/
[right][snapback]606330[/snapback][/right]

I was hoping someone would add some of the better programs out there as I am too new to this area.

I did some checking and there is a beta 2 out for Microsoft (clustering?) server.

It seems that MikeySoft wants in the clustering game. Maybe they already are and I just dont know it. :>

It just seems like with processing power costs down and opteron and 64 bit prices low that this would be a prime area for experimintation. Heck I saw a skid of durons I thought about bidding on but I held back as energy costs are important right now. I have a few computers here that together would be hard to beat for what I need and want to do.

I know Ill be getting my hands dirty as I have a technet subscription. I want to try out the other flavors also If I have the time.

Thanks so much for the info.
Sunset1

01/30/2006 09:05 AM

Author Icon
Logan[TeamX]

A fleet of Durons all on diskless setups could be efficient, if only for low-point WUs. If the working size of the process is small, and you have 1GB per Duron, it could work well.

I have my Winchester 3200+ sitting on my comp desk taunting me, daring me to order an OCZ Plat kit for my wife so the Performance Rev. 3 can go to it.

I'd love to have 5-6 more Winchesters or Venice 3000+ setups running diskless, folding large WUs.

But then again, folding is a tad different than your render requirements /smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />
 01/31/2006 01:36 AM

Author Icon
Sunset1

quote:

Originally posted by: Sunset1 ' date='Jan 30 2006, 09:05 AM' post='609202']
A fleet of Durons all on diskless setups could be efficient, if only for low-point WUs. If the working size of the process is small, and you have 1GB per Duron, it could work well.

I have my Winchester 3200+ sitting on my comp desk taunting me, daring me to order an OCZ Plat kit for my wife so the Performance Rev. 3 can go to it.

I'd love to have 5-6 more Winchesters or Venice 3000+ setups running diskless, folding large WUs.

But then again, folding is a tad different than your render requirements

True true. I got a bit ahead of myself and was trying to remember the machines I was thinking about bidding on. Funny I just checked refurb prices on a 246 opteron chip on newegg. 179. sheesh.

Thats a lot of cpu for small green. Thats whats in my computer in the dual.

I wonder how a dual mp 2600 would preform. I have a dual 1800+ but coudnt see springing for the upgraded chips. I found them at 179. each yea same prices as the opteron.

Its always hard figuring out the best way to harness the horsepower. I try to use a cpu power per $ "formula" and see which chip is the fastest and the strongest for the least green. . A bunch of amd 64 bit athlons would be nice especially if they were on a socket 754 or newer. Especially when we are trying to get more power for less utility bill this winter. The more I learn the harder it is to decide.

Anyway always good to hear from you. And the others also.
Sunset1

quote:

Originally posted by: Sunset1
True true. I got a bit ahead of myself and was trying to remember the machines I was thinking about bidding on. Funny I just checked refurb prices on a 246 opteron chip on newegg. 179. sheesh.

Thats a lot of cpu for small green. Thats whats in my computer in the dual.

I wonder how a dual mp 2600 would preform. I have a dual 1800+ but coudnt see springing for the upgraded chips. I found them at 179. each yea same prices as the opteron.

Its always hard figuring out the best way to harness the horsepower. I try to use a cpu power per $ "formula" and see which chip is the fastest and the strongest for the least green. . A bunch of amd 64 bit athlons would be nice especially if they were on a socket 754 or newer. Especially when we are trying to get more power for less utility bill this winter. The more I learn the harder it is to decide.

Anyway always good to hear from you. And the others also.
Sunset1

P.S. I had been trying to reply to a earlier post but everytime I cliked on the forum a script would start up
then my norton would lock explorer. It looked like what they had described as a morphing trojan as it changed the extentions while I first watched and tried to kill it.
I run Webroot Spysweeper have the latest updates from microsoft java and finally turned java off.
This is my first real time being able toget back to the forum so If this needs to be moved to a better location please advise as I may not be able to yet.
Mark aka Sunset1

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information