Increase font size
Topic Title: I dont quite understand what Folding is
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/17/2006 10:02 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/17/2006 10:02 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Royal Flush
Alpha Geek

Okay you apparently can have multiple computers (and gpu's apparently? Got one ti4200 waiting ) to run calculations.
Does this act as if having two processors maybe or is this more for running servers. I usually just play games nowadays since my photoshop was messed up so I was wondering if I should try this, I do have alot of older computers that I want to do something with.

Would this folding thing let my computer run generally faster?

-------------------------
zzzap!
 07/19/2006 08:25 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

Folding doesn't have anything to do with making your PC faster, and as for doing it with the GPU, I think they are still developing that.

Folding in itself is erm...dang I always find it hard to explain this

Go to folding.stanford.edu and look at there explanation, it's pretty good.

But in general, your using your computer to find cures for certain cancers and certain diseases like alzheimers(I KNOW I didn't spell that right...)

It's good for using up extra CPU cycles...for instance if your on your computer and browsing the internet and listening to music heck well that's probably using like 20% CPU. Once you install the folding client, you can use the other 80% for folding. It uses whatevers available, no more, so you won't notice any slowdowns.

Get the text client, not the graphical one.

My GT430 Is Folding For AMD Team 34106
FOR A GOOD CAUSE---Accepting Donations of New, Used, Working, Nonworking PC Components
Thanks to KLEETUS for his generous donation of components!!
 07/23/2006 01:53 PM

Author Icon
CoolDudePT

technic: you actually did speel it right

cya

Why can't you CTRL+Z in real life?
 07/24/2006 02:19 PM

Author Icon
Megadeth

quote:

Originally posted by: Royal Flush
Okay you apparently can have multiple computers (and gpu's apparently? Got one ti4200 waiting ) to run calculations.
Does this act as if having two processors maybe or is this more for running servers. I usually just play games nowadays since my photoshop was messed up so I was wondering if I should try this, I do have alot of older computers that I want to do something with.

Would this folding thing let my computer run generally faster?

I'm back, blew off a little steam, but oh well!

quote:

Originally posted by: Unknown Protein folding is the process by which a protein structure assumes its functional shape or conformation. All protein molecules are heterogeneous unbranched chains of amino acids. By coiling and folding into a specific three-dimensional shape they are able to perform their biological function.

Folding essentially simulates this process. However, this kind of work is done on supercomputers. Folding@home, Rosetta@home, and Ralph@home (beta of Rosetta) takes this concept and makes it so that it can be done on desktop computers. The work units are much smaller.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information