Increase font size
Topic Title: AMD "Borg Collective" bot/comp idea
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/09/2006 09:39 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/09/2006 09:39 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Logan[TeamX]

Would anyone be interested in having a collective set of machines folding for Forums.AMD.com, similar to the TR Frankenbot? I thought "Borg Collective" would be appropriate for a member name

I'd be happy to host the parts, pay for power, and setup-configure the beasties for PXE (least amount of parts needed that way). I would also add a second PXE image and create a separate subnet with a second DHCP/TFTP server to support said environment so I can keep my original stack of headless monsters running on my account If that last bit is jibberish to you, just smile and nod and move on

We'd need:

Cases with working Power Supply Units (I can probably source most of them locally to me)
CPUs, Heatsinks and fans
Memory
Motherboards
Network Interface Cards in case the boards don't support PXE with built-in NICs / don't have NICs

I can supply all the needed power cabling to the PSUs, network cabling to the switch, etc. I'm also willing to eBay a few items to get things started as well... I just need a week or so to get another project finished at the house. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="h34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" /> HINT - it involves an Acer HDTV-capable projector and a 92" ceiling mount screen

I'm also going to swap my two switches at home if this develops into a worthwhile project and exceeds my last 3 available ports on my 8-port Linksys switch. The switch stepping up is a 3COM 10/100 24-port unmanaged switch, so lots of nodes.

What does everyone think? I think it would be neat to see a "global community" effort climbing the team ranks! Chime in and let us all know!

Thanks

Logan
 03/11/2006 10:22 AM

Author Icon
TLH

After reading all that I'm still not sure what you're asking.I think I need a master class in PXE first to get a better idea of what you're after,or are you just asking for part donations?

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

1100t on M5A99x-EVO with 2x4gb and 6870 running Win7 on Force120 ssd in Corsair 600t cooled by H100. Folding for team 34106
 03/11/2006 02:14 PM

Author Icon
Dobson
Overclocker

Whud he say?

03/13/2006 09:37 AM

Author Icon
Logan[TeamX]

Sorry guys. Lemme clarify things:

Parts needed to create multiple machines running under a common "community" name for the team. I'll build and supply the OS and power.

Any takers?
 03/18/2006 01:39 AM

Author Icon
Sunset1

[/quote]
quote:

Originally posted by: Unknown ' date='Mar 13 2006, 07:37 AM' post='642697']
Sorry guys. Lemme clarify things:

Parts needed to create multiple machines running under a common "community" name for the team. I'll build and supply the OS and power.

Any takers?

I belive this translation from "borg" to numbnut ( my personal language :> ) might help. I belive you are asking for hardware to compile a borg collective of machines to run under a "community" name for the benifit of kicking some serious butuski. You have even graciously donated space network hardware and connectivity expertice. Now all you need is a few donated machines specifications to follow.

Um is that close? :>

I should know in the next week if this will work out... as discussed before. I hope to have a server board for your hardware pile.
This will be either a dual xeon 400mhz mobo from supermicro or intel. Intel board ports placement may be a issue however it has built in scsi , video, lan etc.
It will need ...
good power supply I'll supply photo's of system board when I decide.
1-2 xeon chips at 400mhz ( Ill check on actual specs.) some ran to 533mhz
Heat sinks and any mounting hardware as this will be just the motherboard as I recieved it.
ecc reg ram I can prob donate 1gig

I am currently attempting installation into a 80.00 server case from newegg. Hopefully testing to be finished in the next week *if the parts from Thermalright arrive in time to test for basic operaton. ( I purchased two heatsinks from crazypc.com and "they" (thermaltake) were kind enough to send me the mounting parts I needed for free.

If you didn't live so far away I would say Road trip or a borg meet was in order. I dont mind sleeping with servers. p:

Good luck! and Happy Saint pats day to any that celebrate.
Sunset1

[FONT=Courier][SIZE=7][COLOR=blue][QUOTE]
"Moores Law says the computing power will double in speed every 18 months but Murphy's Law says the chip won't fit your motherboard and you will need a upgrade." Sunset1
 03/18/2006 04:08 AM

Author Icon
kccustom

Only if the name is "kccustom"

General discussion on IRC @ irc.dynamix.com / #forums.amd.irc
 03/19/2006 04:43 PM

Author Icon
Logan[TeamX]

LOL @ kccustom!

It'll be a true community venture. I need to create a few more images yet on CD. This way, I could start out without a separate network. Also, it seems to be infinitely easier getting picky Dells and other boxen booting from CD than it does to PXE. I guess that makes me a tad lazy

If we can decide on a name, I have a P3-450MHz "beige box" that will be brought online next week under the new name. It's all about the research and the team gains for me. I have enough boxen as it is!

Any other ideas, questions, nerfbats... leave em here.

Logan
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information