AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Need a software for simulating a virtual LAN (vLAN)...
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/04/2007 04:01 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/04/2007 04:01 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ahmadka

Hi guys..well you see I am doing this project in my uni..the topic is virtual LANs...Now I can make the presentation and everything, but I was thinking that maybe I can simulate vLANs through some software..... I have looked through the internet a little bit, and I have found some softwares, but they all seem to be very complex... I dont need any complexity..I just need (if possible) a simple software that can demonstrate vLANs.... is there any networking guru here that can help me out ? point out some software ?

-------------------------
Check out my New PC: Video Link

......................................................................................My Dream Rig v5.0 (FINAL)......................................................................................
 01/04/2007 04:46 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

Well... you could use something like virtualPC or the vmware player to create virtual machines and add those to your existing network. That's what I did recently when I needed a small network of nodes used to run distributed apps I was writing for school stuff. You could also use something like honeyd which is built specifically for creating a virtual network.

Containment Breach

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
 01/05/2007 04:40 AM

Author Icon
ahmadka

virtual PC is not what I am looking for....i am looking for a software, in which I define a virtual network, and then define vLANs in that.....I have found some software to do this, such as:

Boson NetSim for CCNA
AdventNet Simulation Toolkit 6
SimpleAgentPro - SNMP Network Simulator

I am still downloading them though...lets hope that they are good softwares

have a look at this image:

http://www.gambitcomm.com/site...s/images/ciscovlan.gif

it shows a vLAN simulation....some virtual computers are setup in a network, and then a vlan is defined...finally, you can send data across this virtual vLAN, and see the results of the simulation...

this is exactly what I am trying to do....the only thing is, I dont know how to implement this thing in a software, since i am not exactly a networking expert

......................................................................................My Dream Rig v5.0 (FINAL)......................................................................................
 01/05/2007 10:40 AM

Author Icon
ahmadka

I just downloaded NetSim 6.0 for CCNP, and I am going through the Lab lectures. I am at Lab 4 right now. The problem I am facing, is that when I enter into the configuration mode of a router, none of the configuration commands are accepted!! For example, if I enter the command:

hostname R1

I get this error:

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

The entire text looks like this:

Press RETURN to get started.

Router>
Router>enable
Router#conf t
Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
Router(config)#hostname R1
^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

The same case applies to when I try the interface command in the configuration mode. In fact, the only command that works is exit !

Please help me.

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information