Increase font size
Topic Title: 50 quadrillion FLOPS
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/10/2007 08:05 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/10/2007 08:05 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
thecrzyGreek

As of today I have contributed 50 quadrillion floating point operations to searching for life amongst the cosmos.

-------------------------
"We have lingered long enough on the shores of the cosmic ocean. We are ready at last to set sail for the stars." - Carl Sagan
"As long as there have been humans we have searched for our place in the cosmos. Where are we? Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than there are people. We make our world significant by the courage of our
 01/11/2007 09:17 AM

Author Icon
sepheroth003

I dont do distributed computing so Im not even sure why Im here but I had to comment on this...

There is a comedian that talks about this program, your helping send msg in space basically saying "hey were here, anyone out there? come visit", well if they come visit they are obviously smarter than us. He goes on about some other stuff but man Im tired and cant really think of it now.

New Site!! Team Effex WoW, US Auchindoun Alliance IGN: Fearaga
 01/11/2007 03:30 PM

Author Icon
thecrzyGreek

Yes the human species is beaming thousands of radio waves into space every second. You got TV, radar, cell phones, WiFi networks all sending out a message saying "hey matter on this tiny dot has arisen to consciousness after 15 billion years of cosmic evolution." SETI@home is not sending anything. We are listening for patterns in the chaos that aren't local sources of RFI. This is a unique time our history. We have the technical know how to allow us to communicate with other intelligent forms of matter thousands of light years away.

"We have lingered long enough on the shores of the cosmic ocean. We are ready at last to set sail for the stars." - Carl Sagan
"As long as there have been humans we have searched for our place in the cosmos. Where are we? Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than there are people. We make our world significant by the courage of our
 01/11/2007 04:18 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

Mmm...good job. I was thinking about doing this, but then I thought about it more and I guess folding core cures to cancer and other diseases comes first....just got 4 PC's up and running for folding again because a server had been down and I hadn't been able to get cores for a long time.

Could you answer something for me though? I have some older systems sitting around...in your opinion is SETI more umm...challenging for a PC than F@H? Or are they about the same and the resources are just used different? If older PC's work ok with this, I'd be ok with putting my two Pentium 2's working for this cause. They each take like....11 minutes a frame for folding so that's sort of pointless...

My GT430 Is Folding For AMD Team 34106
FOR A GOOD CAUSE---Accepting Donations of New, Used, Working, Nonworking PC Components
Thanks to KLEETUS for his generous donation of components!!
 01/11/2007 07:25 PM

Author Icon
vsingh
Voodoo Programmer

SETI tends to have smaller work units. Should be great for those old clunkers.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information