Increase font size
Topic Title: Need your advice on the AMD64 and ASUS k8V
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/19/2003 05:55 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/19/2003 05:55 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Wister

Hello, I have finally decided to give up on my ABIT NF7 motherboard as its annoyances have gone on for too long. I have (had) the following problems with the board:

1. A certain chipset of Crucial RAM was incompatible with the nForce2 chipset. I had to get the new version (Samsung chipset) for applications to not exit to desktop.

2. Apparently when the southbridge gets too hot, sound has issues. For example, sometimes when multiple sounds play from my sound card (Creative Audigy Platinum) there will be a chirp noise. I never had this problem with my ABIT KX7-333R.

3. Sometimes when the computer is turned on, the motherboard emits a beep code, almost as if to notify me that the CPU overheat/CPU Fan warning is activated. Reboot the computer, no problem.

4. Program crashes. Honestly, it might just be the fact that a game like Command and Conquer Generals has bugs, but my experiences with my first point have left me paranoid.

5. Possibly poor handling of IDE. I can't confirm this for sure, but my hard drive will reset (shutdown, then restart) about once a month. I leave the computer on 24/7, so this might be the problem, but with a VIA chipset the computer would never had a fatal exception. The NVIDIA chipset will reboot the computer when this happens.

6. The "fall" of NVIDIA seems to be constantly more obvious. Their specific optimization of drivers, lack of innovation, and the like are starting to be like 3Dfx before it had major problems. VIA has been in the chipset business forever and I have never had a problem with their motherboards that could not at least be worked around.

Now, I want to get rid of my NF7 and the option of simply getting a new motherboard (the ASUS A7V600 specifically) or to make the jump to AMD64 with the supposed awesome performace improvements. Here is what I want to do with (and what I want from the money I spend on) my computer:

1. No overclocking. I run pretty much at all default BIOS settings except for boot order and I will disable devices like parallel port, serial, and on board audio.

2. Stability is crucial.

3. Games. I'd like to run CCG, CCG:ZH, Call of Duty, and HL2 without the problems of increasing AGP voltage, etc. Stability is also key here.

4. Video encoding. I like to capture interesting TV shows, encode them into DIVX, and then put them onto CD.

5. No nagging bugs that are pure annoyances. The things that I mentioned before are classified as these.

6. No numerous board revisions that add features that should have been there in the first place. I got stuck with a NF7 1.1 which didn't support the new FSB specification from AMD.

7. Run Linux, whether with a 32-bit or 64-bit enabled kernel.

Here is my hardware that I would put into a possible an AMD64 system:

ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon 9800 Pro
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum
3 x 512MB of Crucial PC2700 Module Number CT6464Z335
Western Digital WD1200JB
Plextor 48/24/48A
Toshiba DVD-ROM
(future, have the card, but need the HDDs)Adaptec ATA RAID 2400A with three WD1200JB in RAID 5 configuration
SMC EZ NIC Card 10/100
Enermax 465P-VE (431W)

Everything within my system is from a high profile hardware manufacturer and is true hardware, not onboard stuff or "WinRAID". Please, does anyone think that I will have problems with my system and the K8V with the AMD64 3000+? Do you have problems/annoying bugs with your current setup, whatever it may be (list of hardware would be nice too)? Should I go for the AMD64 option? Thanks for your help!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information