Increase font size
Topic Title: first assembly question
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/02/2005 10:07 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/02/2005 10:07 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Dumbguy

I am assembling a system with AMD 64 processor that came packaged with a heatsink and fan. The instructions do not explicitly specify using thermal compound the first time the unit is assembled. It only specifies that thermal compound should be used if the unit is disassembled and reassembled. I want to confirm that thermal compound does not need application the first time, before I power up the first time. Also could you send me recommendation regarding what compound to use for this processor.

Thank you;

dumbguy
 11/02/2005 10:24 PM

Author Icon
sgie87
Case Modder

*****allways have thermal compound on heatsink before using it.

if you have bought the retail AMD64 cpu the thermal compound is already on the heat sink,its the grey stuff on the flat side of the heatsink.
it will transfer onto the cpu when you connect the two together.
if you are at all unsure about how to installl the cpu correctly consult the amd web site for instuctions.

if you have brought a none retail cpu and the heat sink does not have this grey thermal compound on it,you can go into any
computer shop and buy any kinda of thermal paste,artic silver 5 is the best but if your not over clocking any other brand will do.

-------------------------
*IRC chatroom #freedom on irc.globalgamers.net server is a great place to hang out online.PM me for more info.*
 11/04/2005 08:54 AM

Author Icon
=assassin=

Aye - a thermal interface material is always needed - Retails boxed products should have this on the heatsink (should look like a plastic cloth due to the way it's applied) - check to make sure it has it.

-------------------------
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information