Increase font size
Topic Title: X2 help..
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/03/2005 10:35 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/03/2005 10:35 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
n3rve

im looking at a 3800 X2 wit a operationg system of 2.0 now is that for both chips that togther reach 2.0 or do each reach 2.0 and both will become 4.0 because i like how its more powerfull but if i can get a intel for 3.4 and 64 bit but is a 735 chip set i just need to know more info and if some one could help me /biggrin.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='biggrin.gif' /> /sad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='sad.gif' />
 08/03/2005 11:01 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
flippin_waffles

yeah, the x2 3800 has two cores each clocked at 2.0 ghz, but they only work together on multithreaded applications, and multitasking where a core can be utilized on different tasks, as is the case with Intel's dual core as well. i should point out the differences between the two architecture though. first, AMD chips use an onboard dual channel memory controller(built into the cpu) to access memory, and direct connect architecture to communicate, have more instructions per cycle (allowing it to run at a slower clock speed than an Intel processor and achieve better performance), hypertransport, runs significantly cooler and uses much less power, among many other advanced and superior features. Intel chips need to access the memory controller situated on the northbridge via the front side bus, and also communicate via the front side bus, which significantly increases the latency. there are of course many other advantages to an AMD processor, but too many to list. have a read through this entire review, and there should be no doubt to your final decision. /smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />

[edit]
i guess i should post the link. /blush.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='blush.gif' />

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2484' ">http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2484
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information