AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: A64 3200+ running at 805 mhz!?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/03/2005 05:42 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/03/2005 05:42 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Cyclone

Just recently installed an Athlon 64 3200+ (socket 754) Clawhammer and a DFI LanParty UT 250gb nforce 3. Everything is fine except for XP and CPU-Z says that its only running at 805 mhz. I have the latest bios and nforce3 drivers (got them from DFI's site). I did some searching and saw that Cool N' Quiet can sometimes slow things down, but I have it disabled in my bios. I also changed the power scheme to "Always on". I know the processor can go higher, because CPU-Z says it can get to 2 ghz. Do you have to set the bus speed and multiplier yourself with Lanparty boards?

In my Bios the FSB Bus frequency is set at 200, and the LDT/FSB frequencey ratio and CPU/FSB frequency ratio are set to auto. Tried to change the CPU/FSB frequency ratio to X10, but the computer wouldnt even post. Does the nforce3 drivers install the Cool N' Quiet driver somewhere? Because its not under add\remove programs.
 11/04/2005 04:23 AM

Author Icon
Greyhound

Try changing your power-scheme to 'Desktop' and also download and install chipset drivers directly from nVidia's site (www.nvidia.com) while you're at it - drivers posted on the manufacturer's sites are almost always outdated anyways.

Generally, I'd recommend to leave C'n'Q enabled. I've been running a similar system to yours for over a year (754-pin A64 3200+, but K8T800 chipset) and never had any problems whatsoever related to C'n'Q.
QUOTEDoes the nforce3 drivers install the Cool N' Quiet driver somewhere? Because its not under add\remove programs.
I don't think so...the drivers from nVidia certainly don't do that.

If you want to verify which processor-driver is currently installed, head over to your device manager and check 'Processors'.
The default driver that comes with WinXP will be 'processor.sys' while the AMD driver will be 'amdk8.sys'.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
 11/04/2005 11:34 AM

Author Icon
CoolDudePT

QUOTE(Greyhound @ Nov 4 2005, 09:23 AM)Generally, I'd recommend to leave C'n'Q enabled. I've been running a similar system to yours for over a year (754-pin A64 3200+, but K8T800 chipset) and never had any problems whatsoever related to C'n'Q.
[right][snapback]538043[/snapback][/right]

same exact combo as me. I've turned off CNQ because Pro Evolution Soccer 4 and 5 run quite sluggish if CNQ is enabled. I usually disable it before playing them, but now I've changed power scheme permanently to check if I had some other performance gain in any way. Nothing else so far.

cya

-------------------------
Why can't you CTRL+Z in real life?
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information