Increase font size
Topic Title: AMD 3200+ To hot ?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/07/2005 01:05 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/07/2005 01:05 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
james_k1988

I looked around the forum but cant seem to find an answear to this particualr problem.

I recently got a new system, the componenets are as follows:

AMD 64 3200+ Venice
MSI RS480M2-IL ATI XPRESS 200 Micro ATX (Socket 939)
1024 RAM
Radeon x800le
160g Western digital(ide), 80G Maxtor(ide)

Now everything seems toi be going fine, and i may just be paranoid but this has been annoying me since i built the system. The CPU temp was always at 49-53c . This bothered me as everywhere i looked it said it should run at around 40c. After seeing it jump up to 60C last night i decided to look into it more. So after some work today i managed to enable that cool n quiet. That managed to get teh cpu down to, on idle, 45 . But as soon as i start doing something like playing a game it starts to go back up to around 52C . I am using the stock fan an its going at 3200rpm (approximately)
Neone got ne ideas?

Thanx /smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />
 10/07/2005 06:11 PM

Author Icon
leexgx
Case Modder

is the CPU hot (e.g. hot to tuch if not probly the not bios reporting it right)

-------------------------
Gameing > AMD64 5000+ X2 Black (OC 3.2ghz - 1.375v) > TK Big Typoon > Asus M2N32-SLI delux > 2.2gb 4gb Gell ram > NVIDIA 8800 GTX > X-FI

Server > phenom 9500 (OC 2.475ghz 1.3v)> 4gb ram > Asus M3A32-MVP> lots of disk space
 10/07/2005 06:55 PM

Author Icon
james_k1988

No actaully. When i opened it up (right after it said it was at 59) it was fine to touch, Was quite surprised cause ui heard that it can be dangerous to touch when its been getting warm. But no it was fine. Any way to get the bios to report it right? Or anotehr way to test teh temp?
 10/07/2005 06:59 PM

Author Icon
leexgx
Case Modder

not realy it mite be that there is something between the cpu and the heat sink

there should be pasit on the bottem of it (realy sounds like you mobo is just reporting it not right update the BIOS to see if it fix's it)

-------------------------
Gameing > AMD64 5000+ X2 Black (OC 3.2ghz - 1.375v) > TK Big Typoon > Asus M2N32-SLI delux > 2.2gb 4gb Gell ram > NVIDIA 8800 GTX > X-FI

Server > phenom 9500 (OC 2.475ghz 1.3v)> 4gb ram > Asus M3A32-MVP> lots of disk space
 10/07/2005 08:08 PM

Author Icon
james_k1988

You got me curious so i ran a few progs to get teh cpu up to 59C an then turned it off, Opened it up an checked the cpu. barely warm at all (wouldnt even call it warm tbh). My grafix card wos warmer (an it reports at 36C) . But i really arsed up putting the heatsink paste ont eh other night methinks. Sorta looked a total mess lol the grey stuff looked like it had cracked in places (sorta formin a square but 2 hard 2 explain) But i decided to redo it jus incase. I followed the instructions on this site

http://www.arcticsilver.com/ar...ver_...ctions_big2.htm' ">http://www.arcticsilver.com/ar..._instructions_big2.htm

Although i never used the alcohol tub, used whiskey /tongue.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='tongue.gif' /> lol same thing..kinda
And i dont have that artic silver stuff, i have this stuff called "Unick - Silicone Heat transfer compound" aka - cheap stuff lol never really had to do this be4 so never had ne reason to buy teh good stuff. Usually im fine with the thermal thing that comes on under teh fan.

But i cleaned the underside of the heatsink fan as best i could so it wos pretty much spotless. And put a small dab in the processor (well as small as i could get it, a tiny clump bout the size of a BB pellet. Ino the site said 2/3 the size but its a squeezy tube an wos murder gettin it out /unsure.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='unsure.gif' /> ) an fixed itr all back up an jumped on. Now it seems ive made it even worse /wacko.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='wacko.gif' /> the temp seems to be jumpin up and down quite a bit. One sec its 50, then 53, then 57, then 52 © so i guess ill have to do taht again. Did i put to much or to little on mayby? But im pretty sure that the bios jus aint reportin this right

I did update the bios when i first got it. It came with a MSI live update thing an it said i only needed one update. (still does even although ive got it) I know where to get teh otehrs should i download em all an reinstall em?

an ne tips on this dam heatsink /mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif' /> ( is the stuff im usin 2 crappy? lol)

p.s. btw the bottom of my heatsink fan is all silver. No copper bits at all. Just that in all the demos ive seen , theyve seen to have had a copper (orangey) base. Incase this changes nethin. im usin the fan i got w/ the processor
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information