Increase font size
Topic Title: AMD 3500+ Venice PIB
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/23/2005 12:43 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/23/2005 12:43 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
apoccc

Hi i'm about to this christmas build my first computer, i will be buying an AMD 3500+ Venice processor it has the heatsink with it as well (processor in a box), my question is when i recieve it do i need to attach the heatsink to it and apply thermal paste and stuff or can i just take it out and put the CPU straight into the slot. Here is my computer specs of what i will be using could anyone let me know if theres any problems with this setup too .. thanks! i will be taking old parts from this computer such as the soundcard and memory but the rest i am buying new.

AMD64 3500+ Venice S939
Asus A8N-E Ultra S939
Hiper 580W Type-R
Geil PC3200 1GB
Creative Audigy2
XFX 6800GS 256MB PCi-E
Thermaltake Soprano
 11/23/2005 12:54 PM

Author Icon
=assassin=

A CPU will always need a heatsink attached to it!!! It'll burn in seconds usually if you don't attach one! The stock heatsink has something resembling a 'pad', but is actually just pre-applied Shin Etsu (don't know if that's spelt right?) thermal paste, which is fine for an average users needs. If you plan to overclock, getting Arctic Silver 5 would be better.

-------------------------
 11/23/2005 01:59 PM

Author Icon
ljf

QUOTE(apoccc @ Nov 23 2005, 09:43 AM) my question is when i recieve it do i need to attach the heatsink to it and apply thermal paste and stuff or can i just take it out and put the CPU straight into the slot.

[right][snapback]552337[/snapback][/right]

The way your question is worded, yes you take it out and put it straight in the socket (raise the lever and drop it right in, no force on the processor should be necessary or used...clamping the hsf on is where force may be required) then lower the lever. However you must also use a heatsink/fan to prevent the cpu from overheating and getting damaged... Do not turn it on without the HSF installed. One is included in the PIB kit. After you install the processor you will then install the HSF which has pre-applied thermal compound so you won't need to worry about applying any. I have heard crazy rumors of people not removing the plastic cover from the HSF before trying to attach it. Also many people don't realize not to touch the grease as they are used to a pad which would require the "tape" to be removed and it now has none.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information