Increase font size
Topic Title: Voltage specs question
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/29/2005 06:19 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/29/2005 06:19 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Max Payne

I am building, actually have built a machine for my cousin using an ASUS A8N5X board and a 3700+.

I have flashed to the latest bios even though it recognized the chip correctly from the start.

On boot, the board sets the voltage at 1.45 and it shows in CPUZ at 1.475. Not a problem really, I just went into the bios and set the vcore to 1.4. Now here comes the trickery. The bios shows the vcore to be 1.425 in the hardware monitor, asus probe shows it to be 1.35 and cpuz is showing 1.425. If I back the vcore down to 1.375 asus probe is showing 1.3, cpuz is showing 1.325 and the bios agrees to 1.325.

I would rather set the bios to 1.4 and ship this thing out the door as my cousin is just about illiterate when it comes to PCs. I am not charging her to put this thing together and I don't want to have to drive 250 miles to up the vcore 1 notch if the thing crashes due to an undervolt.

LOL, would it hurt anything or void her warranty if the board actually is overvolting by 0025? I don't think it would since allot of boards are not right on the money. I just don't want to screw the kid over, she has always been like my little sister.

:edit:The PSU is an Antec 550 and the rails read right on the money via a digital MM.

-------------------------
Opteron 185 @ 3ghz. | 2 gig Muskin redline DDR 500<br>A8R32-MVP Deluxe | X1800XT Crossfired<br>Soundblaster X-Fi 64 | Enermax Liberty 620 watt PSU<br>Liteon DVD and DVDRW/Combo | SyncMaster 930B<br>Other BS that just kind of orbits the Rig.
 10/29/2005 11:09 PM

Author Icon
TheReturnOfAZ

software is almost always wrong.

no you are not voiding your warranty, all you can do is set it, there is hardly any way they could find out ANYWAY, and voltage tolerence is pretty high.

if you really want to know you might have to do a few google searches. i know at least on my board there are two metal circles that if i put a voltmeter betweent them will tell me the REAL, ACTUAL voltage my CPU is getting. yours may also have it.

also, if you really cannot decide and do not have means to measure it, err on the low side. then run stability tests. if it is stable at the lower one, use the lower one... my processor is stable at 1.18v!

The opinions expressed above exactly represent those of the Intel Corporation and all of its affiliates.
Official Intel™ Propaganda Spreader
"Bringing you the benchmarks that everyone knows are fake" ~ SINCE 2006 ~<!--
 10/31/2005 12:03 AM

Author Icon
Max Payne

Thanks. She picked it up this afternoon. I sent it out set at 1.4 in the bios. I primed it overnight, it passed and the top temp was 42*C.

I feel it is fine, all good parts. She wanted a gamer but her budget was a little tight. I got her an EVGA 6800GT. I figure that way if she wants to upgrade later she can use the step up program and she has a lifetime warranty if not.

I'll talk to her tomorrow evening most likely if I can get her away from that machine. I know there aren't too many hardcore female gamers but she is one of the few. /biggrin.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='biggrin.gif' />

She was on an XP 3000+ and a 9800 pro. I figure she'll be busy for a few days. I'll bet she calls off sick Monday. LOL

Opteron 185 @ 3ghz. | 2 gig Muskin redline DDR 500<br>A8R32-MVP Deluxe | X1800XT Crossfired<br>Soundblaster X-Fi 64 | Enermax Liberty 620 watt PSU<br>Liteon DVD and DVDRW/Combo | SyncMaster 930B<br>Other BS that just kind of orbits the Rig.
 10/31/2005 12:26 AM

Author Icon
TheReturnOfAZ

42 max is definately good.

The opinions expressed above exactly represent those of the Intel Corporation and all of its affiliates.
Official Intel™ Propaganda Spreader
"Bringing you the benchmarks that everyone knows are fake" ~ SINCE 2006 ~<!--
 11/01/2005 01:41 PM

Author Icon
Rampokker

The 6800GT is definately a very capable card!!!!
I love mine! /tongue.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='tongue.gif' />

And on the voltage, there's no problems with what you did.
I'm sure she's gonna love the rig.

' ">http://www.imageshack.us
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information