AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Yet another Newcastle temp problem...PLZ help!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/25/2005 05:49 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/25/2005 05:49 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
XplodePlodeC4

I am having the Newcastle problem where the mobo detects the wrong temps...usually around 50C and 70C under load. I've been trying to fix this for a fix now and no luck. I've read that some people fixed it by updating BIOS, but thats not the case for my ASUS K8V SE DELUXE. I enabled Cool n' Quiet and still nothing. seems my mobo is the only one that hasn't been fixed!! /sad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='sad.gif' /> please help.

PLode
 06/25/2005 05:54 AM

Author Icon
MrSeanKon
Overclocker

First welcome to our forums!
Have you put the heatsink well?
Do you use a thermal paste like Artic Silver click here[/b' ">http://www.articsilver for more info..
Tell us your Vcore (measured with multimeter?)
If you have not used a multimeter click on my sign.
Visit ASUS site maybe they have released a new BIOS version which solve some problems.
I do not believe that your mainboard shows really temperatures...

-------------------------
Grab here OcBible v1.54 and Guidemania v1.2!
 06/25/2005 06:03 AM

Author Icon
XplodePlodeC4

QUOTE(MrSeanKon @ Jun 25 2005, 01:54 AM)First welcome to our forums!
Have you put the heatsink well?
Do you use a thermal paste like Artic Silver click here[/b' ">http://www.articsilver for more info..
Tell us your Vcore (measured with multimeter?)
If you have not used a multimeter click on my sign.
Visit ASUS site maybe they have released a new BIOS version which solve some problems.
I do not believe that your mainboard shows really temperatures...
[right][snapback]445125[/snapback][/right]

Hey MrSeanKon, yes I have put Thermal Compound on...everything is working fine, I found out in this forums that this was a known problem

http://forums.amd.com/index.ph...pic=...&st=0&p=128813&' ">http://forums.amd.com/index.ph...c=16093&st=0&p=128813&

MSI and other mobo's have fixed this problem...but ASUS hasn't or maybe they have but I can't find it, I have looked on www.asus.com for my mobo download and there no Newcastle temperature fixes...I updated to the latest BIOS for my mobo which is 1007.003 and it did not fix the problem.

PLode
 06/25/2005 06:34 AM

Author Icon
MrSeanKon
Overclocker

/rolleyes.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='rolleyes.gif' /> Well you can't do anything else....
The only solution is to measure your CPU temp with a thermistor but it is tricky..
On the other hand CPU temp means nothing for me.
Why?
Cos any AMD CPU when reaches a critical temp (at a particular Vcore, MSF) exponent n becomes very small (in general n < 0.15 almost zero).

Study this example situation:
Vcore=1.774 always.
MSF1=2572MHz temp=35C.
MSF2=2561MHz temp=42C.
MSF3=2541MHz temp=45C.

As you can understand temperatures bigger than 42C are not recommended for this system.
Who cares if they are real? /biggrin.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='biggrin.gif' />
That's why I always practise with any system (AMD/Intel) and I do not care what any monitor program show.. /smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />

Mainboard was Gigabyte K8NS Pro (nForce3 chipset).
Epox 8KDA3J v1.0 showed +4C from Gigabyte.
LOL Albatron (VIA KT800T chipset) showed +2C from Gigabyte!

Grab here OcBible v1.54 and Guidemania v1.2!
 06/25/2005 06:54 PM

Author Icon
XplodePlodeC4

QUOTE(MrSeanKon @ Jun 25 2005, 02:34 AM)/rolleyes.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='rolleyes.gif' /> Well you can't do anything else....
The only solution is to measure your CPU temp with a thermistor but it is tricky..
On the other hand CPU temp means nothing for me.
Why?
Cos any AMD CPU when reaches a critical temp (at a particular Vcore, MSF) exponent n becomes very small (in general n < 0.15 almost zero).

Study this example situation:
Vcore=1.774 always.
MSF1=2572MHz temp=35C.
MSF2=2561MHz temp=42C.
MSF3=2541MHz temp=45C.

As you can understand temperatures bigger than 42C are not recommended for this system.
Who cares if they are real? /biggrin.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='biggrin.gif' />
That's why I always practise with any system (AMD/Intel) and I do not care what any monitor program show.. /smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />

Mainboard was Gigabyte K8NS Pro (nForce3 chipset).
Epox 8KDA3J v1.0 showed +4C from Gigabyte.
LOL Albatron (VIA KT800T chipset) showed +2C from Gigabyte!
[right][snapback]445130[/snapback][/right]

I'm sure this has been fixed by now since it has been going on for a long time and it is a long problem...Im thinking ASUS released a different update for this but I can't find it.
 06/27/2005 09:13 AM

Author Icon
action man

you have a faulty sensor. if your system was too hot it wouldbe unstable. so if it isnt unstable then it isnt too hot! /biggrin.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='biggrin.gif' />
nothing to worry about ignore the temp readings and enjoy your computer

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information