Increase font size
Topic Title: reformatting question
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/27/2005 10:31 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/27/2005 10:31 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
soccermike7

i currently run a partitioned 160gb drive, with a 10gb partition for windows and some other stuff.

my new mb, processor, etc. just came in. i'm obviously planning on reformatting the 10gb partition to reload windows fresh, but i wasnt sure if i needed to reformat the other half for maximum speed. (i know a lot of .exes wont run and stuff if i leave them cause of the files it puts on c

i'm gonna reload all of whats on the other partition anyways, but it'd save time not to reformat the whole thing. (i copied everything i want to keep over to my other 160)

my main concern is about speed: i want to make sure that i dont lose any by not formatting the whole disk.

so basically my question is should i delete the partition and reformat the entire disk, or jsut c:

thanks in advance
 06/27/2005 12:03 PM

Author Icon
Gruesome

QUOTE(soccermike7 @ Jun 27 2005, 04:31 PM)i currently run a partitioned 160gb drive, with a 10gb partition for windows and some other stuff.

my new mb, processor, etc. just came in.  i'm obviously planning on reformatting the 10gb partition to reload windows fresh, but i wasnt sure if i needed to reformat the other half for maximum speed.  (i know a lot of .exes wont run and stuff if i leave them cause of the files it puts on c

i'm gonna reload all of whats on the other partition anyways, but it'd save time not to reformat the whole thing. (i copied everything i want to keep over to my other 160)

my main concern is about speed:  i want to make sure that i dont lose any by not formatting the whole disk.

so basically my question is should i delete the partition and reformat the entire disk, or jsut c:

thanks in advance
[right][snapback]446578[/snapback][/right]

Unless you're planning on not installing any programs at all, 10GB is far too small to accommodate the needs of the OS and any additional applications. If you've got a 160GB HDD, I'd repartition it into three with 60GB for C: and 50GB each for D: and E: if I were you. You have to bear in mind that Microsoft is continually releasing patches and another service pack is inevitable at some stage in the (near) future.

-------------------------
AMD 64 3800+ Venice core
Enermax Coolergiant 600W
DFI LANPARTY NF4 Sli-DR - BIOS v615
Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250GB w/NCQ
1GB Corsair Twinx-3200XL PC3200 (2x512MB)
HIS IceQ X800 XL PCI Express graphics
Samsung TS-H552B DVD
Nyko Air-Flo mouse
Win XP +SP2
 06/27/2005 11:06 PM

Author Icon
ljf

I would say that in most peoples minds 10GB is too small for the primary partition but to be fair I have a laptop that i recently upgraded the drive to a whopping 40GB. I partitioned it to 10 15 15 (10 with windows with office pro, one note. publisher, a few games etc., 15 for linux, and 15 for data (I normailly keep a couple of dvd or game iso's here) Originally I did it this way because I thought I'd use fat32 on that last partition to share between linux and windows but then I thought of my iso files needing to be over 2GB.

So I can say that 10 can be plenty and chances are if it approaches 10 it is time to start from scratch anyway since by that time windows may have become so bloated it starts to run many times slower than it should. But 10 may not be enough as many feel everything should be installed to C: for maximim compatibility (you never know when some strange programmer wrongfully decides to use an absolute rather than relative path of where the program is installed for some file it wants)

The real question is how fragmented the drive (partition) is... I have filled some drives up to the point that they would refuse to be defragmented as there wasn't enough free space to do it quickly and correctly. Since you need to reinstall anyway, I would format to get rid of the stuff you don't need that may also be fragmenting it. I agree with the third partition or drive to store your data simply because that is what you really need to keep and strive to back up regularly. Some aps, such as email, may be saving its data in a subdirectory of the program file directory. Email comes to mind as just yesterday I had to back up and move someones email to a new machine and his ap didn't have an export function; savegames may also be another.

You could always do a quick format if you really don't want to take the time to properly format it. But I suspect that the real time you are trying to save is not the time it takes to format but the time it takes to back up your data. Perhaps it is time for you to consider your backup and recovery plan.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information