Increase font size
Topic Title: CnQ
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/02/2004 10:26 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/02/2004 10:26 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
marausch

I made a discovery last night. It may be limited to my HW setup, but here it is:

I've been having trouble getting Prime95 Torture Test to consistently run without error. I thought it was a RAM proble or maybe even a CPU issue, since I OC. But then I had a few failures even when I set everything to default (i.e., not OC'd).

I went back and OC'd to 2.2, which I had been having trouble getting to run consistently and ran Prime 95 while watching cpuz. Guess what! The CPU clock didn't budge off 880MHz. And, as expected, the test failed on the first series.

I set the Power Management to Always On, confirmed that the CPU was running at 2.2G and repeated the Torture Test. Ran flawlessly for 12 hours!

On a side note, some time ago I had manually set my CPU voltage to 1.525 to stabilize performance on memtest86+. I just realized that this locks the voltage so CnQ can't vary it. CnQ does vary the CPU speed (by stepping the multiplier) but wont vary voltage unless you set the CPU volts in BIOS to AUTO. When I did this, the voltage varied from 1.3 to 1.5, along with the speed. The bad news is that set to full CnQ capability, the system wont pass the simplest of memory benchmarks.

Along with a bunch of other tests I've been doing to test a recent failure to autoconfig my RAM to 200MHz leads me to the highly technical conclusion that conclusion that my RAM doesn't like CnQ.

My thanks to all (Grey, seph, et al) who have walked this path with me.

-------------------------
"Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death!"

Hammerhead

Gigabyte K8VNXP (BIOS F10), Clawhammer F4 3200+ (OC=210x10)
2 x 120GB Seagate SATA RAID-1
ATI Radeon X800,
Ultra 512MB PC3200 DDR400 (x2) (2.7v)
Plextor 708A DVD +R, Plextor 716 DL DVD
Antec 400W ATX PSU, Planar 19" FP moni
MS Wireless KB, Logitech MX510 Mouse
Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick
XP Pro OS, SP2
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information