Topic Title: Your Favorite?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/01/2004 10:47 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/09/2004 01:52 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
HomeBoy

I can definitely say that I have had many more problems with MSI boards than with ASUS. I have been building PCs in one capacity or another for nearly 20 years. Over that period of time I have done the usual reading of the reviews, buying and experimenting, building for business use, building for home use etc. I would gladly spend more money for an ASUS board because I have consistently been impressed with their boards. I am not saying ASUS is perfect but as fas as reliability is concerned, they have been the best by far. I have also tried other boards during my time and there are only a couple that I would never buy again (at least at this point in my career

MSI is one that I refuse to buy ever again. Problems that have caused me to think this way? More frequent BIOS related issues, inferior hardware design (I have had more MSI boards blow capacitors than any other board I have bought), poor documentation (multiple times where I have had a series of boards that were shipped with absolutely wrong information in the documentation) just to name a few.

I am sure that there are others who may feel differently. This is just my opinion based on personal experience. ASUS has been the best board manufacturer I have used over the years. :-)
 02/09/2004 05:35 PM

Author Icon
xgoon

the msi k8t neo is definately a exception,it is truly a wonderful motherboard.

-------------------------
amd 64 3000+
msi k8t neo fis2r
1x512mb corsair xms pc-3200c2pt(2-3-3-6)
evga geforce fx 5900se
maxtor 40 gig 7200 rpm 2 meg cache
antec super lanboy with antec 350 smartpower
pioneer 16x dvd-rom
 02/10/2004 05:14 AM

Author Icon
infiltrator
Linux Ninja

Homeboy, I think most of us here have been working with PC's for a long time too, so I think we all read reviews, etc. I guess it's all about personal choice - everyone has their own preferences. I agree - MSI have had their problems. I've had a few problems - but it's not just about problematic boards, but also about how the support is, and how quickly problems are fixed (and the size of the problem.) I normally try and be as objective as possible when purchasing hardware. I am not vendor specific - I look what is the best solution at the time and get what I feel is the best (according to specs and peoples opinions on the boards).

imho, I feel that if you plan to overclock - MSI is not the BEST choice, but if you look at ABIT, ASUS, MSI, DFI, Gigabyte, etc - they are all very reliable (in fact reliability is not a factor anymore since all are top class). I'm a features person and MSI and ABIT have been leading here for some time. There is always something 'new' these guys bring out. ASUS and ABIT are good overclockers and Gigabyte was good at one stage (about 3 - 4 years ago) but I have not owned one since then. DFI looks good - If I buy another mobo, I will look at the DFI Lanparty range as well as the other top ones mentioned earlier.

At this point in the Time the ASUS and MSI boards are both very good imho, I would say get an ASUS if you plan to overclock - but if you're not going to overclock get an MSI. Recently MSI had a problem with its initial BIOS, which was fixed (some people had problems with some types of memory with BIOS v1.0). ASUS have had problems with BIOS too - but they've also had a problem with the Capacitors (which I think has been sorted out). I think of you do your homework and check memory compatibility and take note of what others currently have set up - you should have no excuse of having any problems (unless there is something phyiscally wrong with the hardware).

You cannot lose if you chose MSI or ASUS - imho they perform well. The one seems better for overclocking (ASUS) and the MSI is more loaded with features (costs a little more). As I mentioned before - it's more personal preferences and personal experience that makes you decide what you want

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 02/10/2004 11:35 AM

Author Icon
HomeBoy

Well said Infiltrator
As I mentioned, a lot is based on personal experience. In my experiences, ASUS has been the overall best board for reliability. Most of my work in recent years has not been in situations where there is a real need to overclock (although the researchers across the hall from me would choke me for saying that

I have decided from time to time over the years to buy an MSI over other boards and each time I did, I got burned. Just lucky, I guess.

02/11/2004 07:11 PM

Author Icon
G13man

my reading shows all the bds are prety good with a few rma. Over clocking I think , would really have more to do with your luck of the draw in your AMD64, since that is where your memory controller is... I've read some amazing O.C. stories,.. and alot of stories to succed leading to relaxed memory timings..gl hf let you know how mine goes [ in transit Albatron proII ,1G mushkin, ] for the sound, gigbyt networking ..

Albatron proII [EVY24, 3comGignetwork]
3500mushkin2X512[2-3-3]
9800xt Vid [on order],,, gl ,,, hf ,, all !
k6-2 .5G,198m,2mvid [gotta k6-3 ?]
 02/12/2004 01:18 AM

Author Icon
Aggressor Prime

MSI makes this' ">http://www.newegg.com/app/view...tion=13-130-436&depa=0 very cheap motherboard for dual socket 940s.

ComputerBB Moderator
Dell Inspiron 1720 (Core 2 Duo T7300 : GeForce 8600M GT)
BF2142 Brigadier General (All Unlocks)
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information