Increase font size
Topic Title: Y?A64?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/11/2004 03:44 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/11/2004 03:44 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
hsvgts

Would someone tell me why I would buy an A64 setup? I mean I really want because I am building a new system , but for the life of me can't see why I would buy the A64? I have been looking through forums and buying books trying to find out as much info as possible before I make the decision. The P4 is at it's end so I don't want to go there BUT it has proven itself reliable. Sure it has it's probs but everywhere I read or whom ever I talk to says pretty much the same thing , psu issues , ram issues brand of and /or slots used, m/b compat , sata raid issues....yeeeesh. Don't get me wrong in saying all this I put my hands together for AMD but I wish AMD would just put a site up listing all tested ram,M/B cpu combo's that are tested together ect ect. I am an avid gamer and know the A64 can whoop Intels butt in this area so where do I go from here . Please please don't make me but an Intel on a dead socket..
 03/11/2004 05:13 AM

Author Icon
action man

as far as i know the athlon 64 (socket 754) doesnt have any major compatibility problems.. there a few people who have problems with the fx (socket 940 though).
its the same as every other computer. if you buy quality parts 9 times out of ten it will work out of the box. im running an a64 3200+ with 2x256MB OCZ pc3200 cl2 ram on a GA K8VT800pro motherboard with a raptor sata hdd. aside from some user errors (meaning my stupidity not hardware/compatibilty problems) it works fine straight out of the box with cutting edge performance.
remember this is a tech forum so naturally people with problems will post here, but its probably just a small % of people who run athlon64 rigs.. the other 99% of the people with a64 rigs you dont hear about because they dont have issues

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?
 03/11/2004 10:44 AM

Author Icon
Dan.M
Voodoo Programmer

well first and more obvious advantage AM64 has over Intel is that its practically futureproof..
by future proof..
meaning A64 using 64-bit processing power is ready for the 64-bit applications being relesed likethe 64-bit XP or Longhorn.. where Intel still hasnt released one yet.. so thats an advantage..
and the second.. it has the integrated memory conroller.. making the memory have faster bandwidth and stuff..

and third.. AMD's A64 series is still cheaper than Intel..

A64's use Socket 754.. requires a Socket 754 Board... supports single and dual channel unbuffered/unregistered memory. and should support any other cards compatible with Intel or AthlonXPs..

A64 FX uses the opteron based Socket which is the socket 940. This however uses the rare Registered Dual Channel DDR Memory with/without ECC. Because it uses the registered dual channel memory DDR and those memory are usually rare to get.. the memory itself cost alot compared to non registered. and are usually slower due to ECC..

but besides RAM issues.. everything else should work just fine

Formerly Known as AzN_Pride
i7-2600|P8P67 Deluxe|HD6970&HD5770|16GB G.Skill RAM|640GB WD Caviar Black|Corsair AX750W|Silverstone Raven 3
 03/11/2004 10:49 PM

Author Icon
Flash

I love the one I have. I think it's the best gaming chip out there. High frame rates without breaking a sweat. That is as long as you have a good video card. And neat features like cool and quiet. Turns the power down when you don't need it. It is a totally seamless transition. It has cutting edge technology inside with silicon on insulator circuitry, built in memory controller and hypertranport bus. It's the best architecture in my opinion.
 03/12/2004 01:22 AM

Author Icon
Elvis

If you're building a system from scratch, why buy old technology? The Athlon 64 3000+ is only about $60 more than the Athlon XP 3000+. I say $60 is worth it to have a next generation processor.

Now if you are just upgrading, then it may be more cost effective for the short term to just get the fastest 32bit processor you can get for your system.

AMD does have tested motherboards. They also have a link for tested memory. Most motherboard makers also list tested memory for their boards as well.

Thank you...thank you very much. Now where's my fried peanut butter and banana sandwich?
 03/12/2004 08:26 AM

Author Icon
infiltrator
Linux Ninja

Many people have moved over to AMD ever since the Athlon 64 came out - it is just a better chipset - full stop. It has 32 ADN 64bit support and at the moment, the Athlon 64 3000 is the best option to go for in terms of 32bit and 64bit support and BANG For your BUCK goes. People are waiting to see what the Prescott has to offer, but delays are making people impatient with Intel. In the end it's your choice. If you have the money I would recommend at least the Athlon 64 3000 - that way you could upgrade to the 3700 or 4000 when it comes out later this month (Dunno if the 4000 will be released - but many of us do! )

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 03/12/2004 11:26 AM

Author Icon
hsvgts

Thx for the replies but i'm not questioning the A64's tech or it's power , I know that it shines . I just don't want huge [content edited] troubles. My previous machine was xp 1800 gf4 4600Ti 512ddr. I sold it because I was upgrading but have been holding off in hopes of AMD sorting out its issues. Here in Aussie the 3400+ is around the same price of the P4 3400mhz so that's not really a prob. The P4 beats the 64 in most office and decoding and the like but i'm a gamer and thats where the 64 does well. I'll be running it with the 9800Xt by the way.
 03/12/2004 11:40 AM

Author Icon
lakeside64

AMEN.... I HAVE NO PROBLM WITH MY COMPUTER AND I THINK I HAVE A H$$POWER COMPUTER.!!~

A64-3000
HDD SEAGATE 80 GG SATA
1G HYPER X DDR 400 PC3200 2.5 LS
AIW ATI 9800 PRO
ZS SOUND CARD
5 80mm FANS
D/R-COMBO DRIVE CDR/DVD/DVDR/CD
FDD-SONY
MSI-KT800 NEO--WORKS GREAAAAAT !!
CASE-X DREAMER=II=YES I AM USING STOCK PSU [I THINK ITS A TURBOLINK350 WATTS PSU CAME WITH CASE] OVERCOCK 5% RUN STABLE EVEN WHEN WATCHING DISHNETWORK AND SURFING THE NET
I AM PART OF THE 99%

BUT I DID ALOT STUDING BEFORE I PUT MY COMPUTER TOGETHER TO FIND OUT WHAT PARTS WORK FOR MY NEW BUILD WENT TO MSI FORUM+EVERY PART I HAVE ON MY COMP!! BAMM WENT IN SMOOTH LIKE BUTTER!!

2001 3dmark-47,000
 03/12/2004 12:58 PM

Author Icon
randy2

QUOTE (hsvgts @ Mar 12 2004, 08:26 AM) Thx for the replies but i'm not questioning the A64's tech or it's power , I know that it shines . I just don't want huge [content edited] troubles. My previous machine was xp 1800 gf4 4600Ti 512ddr. I sold it because I was upgrading but have been holding off in hopes of AMD sorting out its issues. Here in Aussie the 3400+ is around the same price of the P4 3400mhz so that's not really a prob. The P4 beats the 64 in most office and decoding and the like but i'm a gamer and thats where the 64 does well. I'll be running it with the 9800Xt by the way.
No matter what platform you go with, there are always issues. You seem to be referring to some A64 issues that no one here is familiar with. This is a help forum, so of course your going to read about issues, but 95% of the posts here tend to be user error.

What are these issues ? Be specific.
 03/13/2004 12:05 AM

Author Icon
smokey420joe4u

ok everyone knows stoners have no place in computer tech but since iv'e been in countless computer classes when i was in school i was forced to learn.
64 bit means twice the amount of memory the cpu can use ( alot of gb's instead of just 4 gb) new instruction sets new technology and even if the gigahertz are the same or a little higher 64 bit still outperformes 32 bit in most cases.
case closed spend a little more and buy stuff that can still be upgraded with new stuff in a couple of years

if you cram multivitamins in your pc it will not make it faster
if you kiss your pc it will not love you
if you see any organic stuff oozing out of it call me and tell me about it.
 03/14/2004 11:13 PM

Author Icon
Bitey
Elite

I think the cost of good ram is very close to the cost of good registered ram, the difference is not that big , see corsair. but you also have the added advantage of upgradeabilty. You are a lot less liely to have memory incompatabilties even when you fill all your memory slots.

This is of course all moot if your go for the bang for buck king the socket 754 athlon64, which uses the slightly cheaper non registered memory, but has 99% of the preformance (in 95% in most apps)

And all AMD 64's have a very long upgrade path ahead as well.

The only reason I can see why P4's cost more is that the double as heaters, it certainly is not because of performance.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information