Increase font size
Topic Title: Difference between OEM and Retail FX-53
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/12/2004 08:27 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/12/2004 08:27 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
master

Hi. I want to buy a FX-53 cpu but am not sure whether the OEM or Retail version will suit my needs better. Does anyone know the exact differences between the two products (including any documentation, different packaging etc. between the two).

As of now I am aware of these differences:

1. OEM does not come with a fan while retail does (not sure of the model fan)
2. OEM does not come with a 3-year AMD warranty while retail does.
3. Retail comes in brightly colored packaging sporting the AMD64 logo. I am not sure what the OEM comes in.

Also I am aware of these similiarities:

1. OEM and Retail CPU dies are identical (however I cannot confirm this)

So please help me choose between the two. Why spend extra money for retail when I don't need the extra stuff (PS monarch offers a 3-year extended warranty on the FX-53 OEM for $15)
Also, what is the best heatsink/fan combo to pair with the FX-53 + MSI k8n neo2 platinum? Take into consideration I will be moderately overclocking my system.
 09/12/2004 09:03 PM

Author Icon
andrewzorn

Retail comes with a HSF, 3-year warranty, packaging, instructions, and a case badge.

OEM comes in a little junky generic package with ABSOLUTELY nothing.

If you can get that warranty on the OEM and you are planning on using a 3rd party cooler, I would go OEM.
I got my 3400+ in Retail so that I could get the warranty (even though I am breaking this by using a Venus 12, if anything goes wrong, I was just using the stock one all along...).
 09/12/2004 10:32 PM

Author Icon
jessem

QUOTE (andrewzorn @ Sep 12 2004, 05:03 PM) Retail comes with a HSF, 3-year warranty, packaging, instructions, and a case badge.

OEM comes in a little junky generic package with ABSOLUTELY nothing.

If you can get that warranty on the OEM and you are planning on using a 3rd party cooler, I would go OEM.
I got my 3400+ in Retail so that I could get the warranty (even though I am breaking this by using a Venus 12, if anything goes wrong, I was just using the stock one all along...).
QUOTE I got my 3400+ in Retail so that I could get the warranty (even though I am breaking this by using a Venus 12, if anything goes wrong, I was just using the stock one all along...).

I bought my a64 fx53 retail even though hsf goes in parts box.

-------------------------
lian-li pc65|antec true blue 480w ps|a64 fx53 skt 939|msi k8n neo2 plat|slk948u|Tt 90mm smart fan II|(2x512mb) crucial ballistix pc3200|2 seagate sata 80gb hdd-raid 0|sapphire ati x800 pro vivo toxic|nec 3500a dvd burner|pioneer cd/dvd rom|klipsch pro media 4.1|win xp pro
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information