Increase font size
Topic Title: Which Athlon 64
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/26/2004 02:30 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/26/2004 02:30 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
KPK

I'm considering building a system using the Athlon 64 3200+ processor. I have a good understanding of the requirements of a standard Athlon XP but not the Athlon 64 and thus I have a couple of questions....

What are the differences between the 64 and 64FX?

Socket 754/940 what is the difference? Is it true that 754 is being dropped? How long would a 754 system lifetime be as I'm pretty much aiming to spend fairly big now so that I don't have to upgrade for a while? Also, will there be many processor increments for the 754 with regard to upgrading at some stage in the future?

Is the Asus K8V Deluxe a good board to put it with?

Does it need registered RAM? What memory type would be recommended? What CL should I be looking at/below? How about this Mushkin' ">http://www.gobeyondltd.com/products/results.asp?id=34 @ €133?
 02/26/2004 02:54 PM

Author Icon
Ronin
Alpha Geek

What are the differences between the 64 and 64FX?

A64 has a single on-die memory controller, whereas the FX has dual. FX requires (currently) ECC Registered memory, where the A64 does not.

Socket 754/940 what is the difference? Is it true that 754 is being dropped? How long would a 754 system lifetime be as I'm pretty much aiming to spend fairly big now so that I don't have to upgrade for a while? Also, will there be many processor increments for the 754 with regard to upgrading at some stage in the future?

Socket 754 = A64
Socket 940 = FX

Actually, they're going to drop the 940 for the 939 (the FX will no longer require ECC Registered RAM on the Socket 939 config).

AMD's Roadmap only shows up to the 3700+ on the Socket 754, but that's only up to Q2 04, so I feel certain it will go higher (I need to get an updated one, because I'm sure there are higher ones).

Is the Asus K8V Deluxe a good board to put it with?
Your best bet is to check benchmarks/reviews on various sites. The K8V is a good solid board, but there are better performers out there. Take a look and see what peforms best for the money you want to spend.

Does it need registered RAM? What memory type would be recommended? What CL should I be looking at/below? How about this Mushkin @ €133?

Registered is only required for the FX, so only if you go that route. Never hurts to go lower latency RAM, if you can find some for a decent price. The A64 you can use normal DDR (PC3200 minimum).
 02/27/2004 04:01 AM

Author Icon
KPK

Thanks Ronin....
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information