Increase font size
Topic Title: s939 ECC?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/16/2004 08:07 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/16/2004 08:07 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
spikebike

What are the options for someone that wants an x86-64/AMD64 desktop with ECC? I'm 99% sure all opterons and all opteron motherboards (single, dual or quad) support ECC. Besides the opteron, what else supports ECC? Athlon 64 FX used to be almost exactly the same as the opteron and use an opteron motherboard so I assumed it supports ECC. But what about s754's, any? I suspect not.

The real tricky question is the S939, both athlon 64 (like the 3500) and the Athlon 64 FX are available for it, many motherboard manufacturers seem to claim ECC dimms "work" but don't actually promise Error correcting memory. I'm doubly skeptical when I don't notice anything about enabling/disabling ECC in the BIOS.

Can anyone definitely state on what cpu<->motherboard combinations support ECC? Is it controlled by the motherboard? BIOS? CPU? Especially with the memory controller being onchip it is less than clear
where the dependency lies.

Of particular interest to me is which motherboards (if any) would support a s939 amd 3500.
 08/17/2004 01:38 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Greyhound

As far as the processors' integrated memory-controller is concerned, ALL Athlon 64/Athlon 64 FX/Opteron processors(including Socket 754 parts) support ECC - see here' ">http://www.amd.com/us-en/asset...nd_tech_docs/24659.PDF:
QUOTE (Athlon 64 Product Datasheet - 754-pin package specific features)Integrated Memory Controller
– Low-latency, high-bandwidth
– 64-bit DDR SDRAM at 100, 133, 166, and 200 MHz
– Supports up to three unbuffered DIMMs
ECC checking with double-bit detect and single-bit
correct

QUOTE (Athlon 64 Product Datasheet - 939-pin package specific features)Integrated Memory Controller
– Low-latency, high-bandwidth
– 128-bit DDR SDRAM at 100, 133, 166, and 200
MHz
– Supports up to four unbuffered DIMMs
ECC checking with double-bit detect and single-bit
correct

The problem is that most desktop-motherboards don't support ECC - this is probably because of cost, since ECC-memory requires an additional 8-bits(72-bits vs. 64-bits for non-ECC memory) which means pins(on the memory-slots) that are not used for non-ECC memory would have to be connected if you want to use ECC(i.e. more wires between the processor and memory-slots are neccessary).

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information