AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Bent the pins, yet still works!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/01/2006 05:09 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/01/2006 05:09 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
zucca

I put in a 4600 x-2 cpu, I had dropped it, it bent a few pins, Yet i was able to carefully straighten them up with a razor blade as a stright edge, one pin i had to be very careful and hit it alone as it was bent into the next row, Then I stuck the razor blade carefully btween all the rows and just used it to align the bent ones with straight pins...I put it in (without jamming it) it didn't fit, So I align them again,,,,Til it worked! It was not that easy and took a fairly steady hand, But everything works, it is showing and working as dual core and at proper speeds. I had ram issues, but it turns out my windows vista trial and possibly some badly written start up programs were hanging my ram up...I deleted the vista and cleaned up xp and it works awesome!

Am I just lucky or is straightening a few pins out very carefully (so as not to break them) a common thing?
 11/01/2006 08:31 PM

Author Icon
thespin

Congrats! I find that those plastic protractors used in high school fit almost perfectly between the pin rows ...

-------------------------
Millions daily drive their cars made of 1000s of parts. We study events billions of miles away expecting laws HERE apply equally THERE. The planets, the moons etc move with such precision that we just hit a comet millions of miles away with a probe. ALL of man's technology depend on the precision and invariability of natural laws. How also explain their simplicity and their harmonious integration to form a multifaceted U
 11/01/2006 10:05 PM

Author Icon
zucca

quote:

Originally posted by: thespin
Congrats! I find that those plastic protractors used in high school fit almost perfectly between the pin rows ...

Cool, The way they make SUCH a fuss over bent pins, you would think they were harder to straighten..It really just took a light touch and a steady hand..plus some patience!
 11/02/2006 09:57 AM

Author Icon
Silk_the_Absent1

A straight blade works well, but what I've found to be the best is a mechanical pencil. Remove the graphite, slide the tip over the pin, and gently put it back into position.

-Adam
 11/02/2006 11:12 AM

Author Icon
adudley

hey guys,
as we are ona about broken/ bent pins here, heres my story

i brought a amd athlon 3400 (754, i had a board kickin around) off ebay for £10 as it had a pin broke all i did was bodge a small piece of resistor wire ( the wire before the actual resistor) and its been working stable as houses for the last yr, cant say i would risk the money to try it again but the old 3000 broke so thought what the [content edited] lol
it was a corner pin no idea what they do but i guess u get lucky
still using it see sig
.aaron

amd 64 3400 newcastle (stock)
1gb ram
ati x700
120gb wd ide hdd
200 gb maxtor sata
sb audigy 2
 11/02/2006 11:28 AM

Author Icon
mckennma

quote:

Originally posted by: adudley
hey guys,
as we are ona about broken/ bent pins here, heres my story

i brought a amd athlon 3400 (754, i had a board kickin around) off ebay for £10 as it had a pin broke all i did was bodge a small piece of resistor wire ( the wire before the actual resistor) and its been working stable as houses for the last yr, cant say i would risk the money to try it again but the old 3000 broke so thought what the [content edited] lol
it was a corner pin no idea what they do but i guess u get lucky
still using it see sig
.aaron

I used a mechanical pencil with a long thin tip to straighten pins. The long thin tip is the length of the pin. You just slide it over and carefully fix it.

Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
8GB NUMA enabled DDR333 2.5-3-3-7 RAM
PCI-X SCSI RAID
http://69.14.190.80
 11/02/2006 12:08 PM

Author Icon
adudley

quote:

Originally posted by: mckennma
I used a mechanical pencil with a long thin tip to straighten pins. The long thin tip is the length of the pin. You just slide it over and carefully fix it.

why repost silks post come on dude get sum ideas

amd 64 3400 newcastle (stock)
1gb ram
ati x700
120gb wd ide hdd
200 gb maxtor sata
sb audigy 2
 11/04/2006 01:59 PM

Author Icon
ekemono

believe it or not I actually use a nose plier to straighten the pins back. Its still working on this comp.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information