AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Bent the pins, yet still works! 4600 x-2 cpu!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/01/2006 05:10 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/01/2006 05:10 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
zucca

I put in a 4600 x-2 cpu, I had dropped it, it bent a few pins, Yet i was able to carefully straighten them up with a razor blade as a stright edge, one pin i had to be very careful and hit it alone as it was bent into the next row, Then I stuck the razor blade carefully btween all the rows and just used it to align the bent ones with straight pins...I put it in (without jamming it) it didn't fit, So I align them again,,,,Til it worked! It was not that easy and took a fairly steady hand, But everything works, it is showing and working as dual core and at proper speeds. I had ram issues, but it turns out my windows vista trial and possibly some badly written start up programs were hanging my ram up...I deleted the vista and cleaned up xp and it works awesome!

Am I just lucky or is straightening a few pins out very carefully (so as not to break them) a common thing?
 11/01/2006 06:02 PM

Author Icon
marms

I've done it a few times with Socket A processors and been successful, i've never had any newer processors with bent pins yet.
 11/01/2006 06:11 PM

Author Icon
Xtreeme

ouch thats alot of $ to drop!
 11/01/2006 06:39 PM

Author Icon
zucca

quote:

Originally posted by: Xtreeme
ouch thats alot of $ to drop!

I figured why not try to straighten it, I bent it and New egg woulda had to reject a return,,,,So I was just careful as I could be! I feel like a moron for droppin it and superman for fixing it!

quote:

Originally posted by: MarMs
I've done it a few times with Socket A processors and been successful, i've never had any newer processors with bent pins yet.

You are probably not stupid enough to drop one l;ike I did either...I set it on a cluttered work space dragged a lamp cord past it and BANG...There it goes,,,off the table, into the chair...Where it fell out of plastic case...and onto my hard wood floors....Those things are quite heavy and dense, I bet if you hit someone with a quickly thrown CPU you could do massive damage!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information