Increase font size
Topic Title: Yet another “dual channel won’t post” post
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/02/2006 12:21 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/02/2006 12:21 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
tlc

I have seen other forum posts on this subject, but no solutions.

A new Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe with the latest BIOS (1205) running an X2 3800+ will not boot in dual channel mode. The computer uses a 600 watt Xion PS, and nothing is overclocked. I am using two identical new Transcend (Samsung) double sided TS128MLD64V4J 1GB DDR400 DIMMS, one in slot A1 and one in slot B1. This RAM is specified in the Asus Qualified Vendor List for this mobo. If I reverse the DIMMS, it still will not boot.

Memtest86 shows no problems with either individual Transcend DIMM. (This is actually the second set of 1 GB DDR400 DIMMS that produced the same problem. The other DIMMs also tested good using memtest86 on another computer.)

IF there is only one DIMM in B1, or with DIMMs in B1 and B2 (still single channel) the computer boots, recognizes all memory, and runs Windows perfectly. It will never boot with a 1GB DIMM in A1, no matter what other slots are filled.

When I try to run dual channel, there is a long-short-short beep code, which for an AMI BIOS means “video failure”. This is odd, because several different video cards work perfectly well with this motherboard, so long as there is no 1 GB DIMM in slot A1. Changing video cards does not affect the booting problem.

Thinking that the “Auto” memory settings might be too aggressive, I tried scaling them back to their slowest values. I reset the BIOS memory settings to 100 MHz, command rate 2T, CAS 3 latency, etc. This booted OK with one processor, but again failed with two in dual-channel.

I also tried disabling dual channel mode in the BIOS, to no effect, so the problem seems to be something other than dual-channel per se.

Here is something odd. If I put a 512 MB DDR266 DIMM in slot A1, and one of the Transcend DDR-400 1 GB DIMMs in B1, the computer boots. Memtest shows a continual string of memory errors with that configuration, so I didn’t try running Windows, but at least it boots.

Testing was done with the motherboard removed from the case, and no other cards but a video card.

I suspect that people are RMAing motherboards, because they never try to boot with one DIMM in slot B1, or two in B1 and B2.

Sounds like a BIOS problem. Anyone have a solution?
 06/02/2006 12:49 AM

Author Icon
Bitey
Elite

You could try increasing your memory voltage slighlty, say 2.6/2.7

But it just sound like a generic incompatabilty of those dimms in that board.
 06/02/2006 01:15 AM

Author Icon
tlc

Thanks. I forgot to mention that I tried 2.75 v., but it didn't work.

"Generic incompatability" of two separate sets of brand new 1 GB DDR400 DIMMs, all four of which tested good under memtest86, one set of which of which is specifically recommended by Asus for this motherboard???

quote:

Originally posted by: Bitey
You could try increasing your memory voltage slighlty, say 2.6/2.7

But it just sound like a generic incompatabilty of those dimms in that board.

06/02/2006 01:37 AM

Author Icon
Bitey
Elite

ooh, it just you tried to sets of the same brand, so I thought it might just be incompatible...oops

But if asus recomends them and they don't work then it must either be the cpu or the motherboard.

I guess the easiest way to determine which would be to test your board with another CPU, is that possible?

06/02/2006 02:31 AM

Author Icon
tlc

I really should have a spare socket 939 processor for this sort of thing, but I don't.
 06/02/2006 02:42 AM

Author Icon
Bitey
Elite

Well if I was going to guess I would say cpu, but it would be a guess.

You could try reseating the cpu?

At this point if you have no way of testing the cpu or mobo independently I would contact whoever you bought them from and explain the situation, as they are going to be the ones getting the rma.

Its probably more convient getting the cpu tested...even if you have to send it away
 06/02/2006 02:56 AM

Author Icon
bvchurch

I just summed it up so it was easier for me to read.
quote:

Originally posted by: Unknown
A new Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe with the latest BIOS (1205) running an X2 3800+ will not boot in dual channel mode. I am using two identical new Transcend (Samsung) double sided TS128MLD64V4J 1GB DDR400 DIMMS, one in slot A1 and one in slot B1.

IF there is only one DIMM in B1, or with DIMMs in B1 and B2 (still single channel) the computer boots, recognizes all memory, and runs Windows perfectly. It will never boot with a 1GB DIMM in A1.

Here is something odd. If I put a 512 MB DDR266 DIMM in slot A1, and one of the Transcend DDR-400 1 GB DIMMs in B1, the computer boots. Memtest shows a continual string of memory errors with that configuration, so I didn’t try running Windows, but at least it boots.

Well here is my opinion on this issue.
First off, have you tried using A2 and B2?
Second, have you tried an older bios?
Third, the computer I don't believe should boot with a stick in A1, in fact I think the Asus manual will explain this.
Well either way I think you have provided enough details to knock it down to one of two areas. Now first follow my two suggestions above...I have seen Asus bios' that are as terrible as can be. That is the one thing about Asus' bioses, they always seem to put out the releases too soon. Anyways try those first.

Now moving on, I would look into rmaing the processor first. You are probably going why rma the processor? Well on the Athlon 64 the processor has the memory controller on the processor die. It seems kind of funny but I know its very possible to have a bad memory controller, maybe it just came damaged. But that is where I would do first.

However, if you wish to be on the forefront of this issue, also RMA the motherboard at the same time. I highly doubt the asus is having a problem here, but its possible there is something wrong.

See it seems weird that you can boot with non transcend stick in dual channel but you get a heck of a lot of errors, thus suggesting the memory controller, which is embedded into the CPU.
 06/02/2006 04:20 PM

Author Icon
tlc

quote:

Originally posted by: bvchurch First off, have you tried using A2 and B2?
Second, have you tried an older bios?

I had not tried A2 and B2 since it wouldn't give me dual channel, but I just did and it seems the same as with A1-B1: using the Transcend 1 GB DIMMs it won't boot.

I have tried two bioses.
quote:

Originally posted by: Unknown See it seems weird that you can boot with non transcend stick in dual channel but you get a heck of a lot of errors, thus suggesting the memory controller, which is embedded into the CPU.

Yes, that makes sense.
I'll talk with the vendor and see what I can work out. I'll see if he will go for RMAing both motherboard and CPU. What a mess.
 11/01/2006 12:29 PM

Author Icon
q2driver

I added my comments in another thread. Here is a copy:
Hello,
Add me to the list of not being able to boot in dual mode. I have tried three different motherboards with three different chip sets and have the same problem. The only common elements was the CPU, a dual core 4800+ and the RAM, OCZ platinum low latency RAM. I have been in contact with OCZ, and they suggested I try a different CPU. I tried my previous CPU, a 4000+ single core. The system booted up with all four slots filled in dual channel. I can only deduct the problem lies in the memory controller on the dual channel CPU. I have seen nothing from AMD acknowledging any problems or any way to troubleshoot a memory controller problem. I will be contacting AMD support to RMA my CPU, unless somebody has another suggestion.
 11/01/2006 05:13 PM

Author Icon
zucca

quote:

Originally posted by: tlc
I have seen other forum posts on this subject, but no solutions.

A new Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe with the latest BIOS (1205) running an X2 3800+ will not boot in dual channel mode. The computer uses a 600 watt Xion PS, and nothing is overclocked. I am using two identical new Transcend (Samsung) double sided TS128MLD64V4J 1GB DDR400 DIMMS, one in slot A1 and one in slot B1. This RAM is specified in the Asus Qualified Vendor List for this mobo. If I reverse the DIMMS, it still will not boot.

Memtest86 shows no problems with either individual Transcend DIMM. (This is actually the second set of 1 GB DDR400 DIMMS that produced the same problem. The other DIMMs also tested good using memtest86 on another computer.)

IF there is only one DIMM in B1, or with DIMMs in B1 and B2 (still single channel) the computer boots, recognizes all memory, and runs Windows perfectly. It will never boot with a 1GB DIMM in A1, no matter what other slots are filled.

When I try to run dual channel, there is a long-short-short beep code, which for an AMI BIOS means “video failure”. This is odd, because several different video cards work perfectly well with this motherboard, so long as there is no 1 GB DIMM in slot A1. Changing video cards does not affect the booting problem.

Thinking that the “Auto” memory settings might be too aggressive, I tried scaling them back to their slowest values. I reset the BIOS memory settings to 100 MHz, command rate 2T, CAS 3 latency, etc. This booted OK with one processor, but again failed with two in dual-channel.

I also tried disabling dual channel mode in the BIOS, to no effect, so the problem seems to be something other than dual-channel per se.

Testing was done with the motherboard removed from the case, and no other cards but a video card.

I suspect that people are RMAing motherboards, because they never try to boot with one DIMM in slot B1, or two in B1 and B2.

Sounds like a BIOS problem. Anyone have a solution?

Set your bios to defaults so it can detevt new hardware properly. I heard it helps on some sticky boards...I am pretty sure yours was one of them. Mines a version of it non sli...and I set to default to install new ram or hardware and it helps!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information