AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Difference between 'W' and 'N' suffix in OPN (Athlon 64)?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/12/2006 03:12 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/12/2006 03:12 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
dabono

Hi,

I'm looking at building an HTPC system around an Athlon 64 3500+ AM2.

In shopping for these, I've noticed that some OPNs end in 'N' and some end in 'W' (e.g., ADA3500CNBOX vs ADA3500CWBOX)

When I check these parts at http://www.amdcompare.com, it shows the only difference is the 'Max Temp' rating (55-69 deg C for the 'N' vs. 70 deg C for the 'W'.

I'm trying to figure out what the Max Temp rating actually means? Is that the maximum environmental temperature they can operate at? The max core temperature? Or something else?

I've noticed the 'W' models generally cost a little more than the 'N' models. I guess this means the 'W' is the "better" of the two?
 11/12/2006 05:24 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
zir_blazer
Code Warrior

They are related to the physical Core than the Processor uses. One, for example, could be a Dual Core or a 1 MB Cache L2 Single Core that got some parts disabled possibily due to these being damaged in the manufactured process but that can work and be selled anyways. However, I don't know if more solid data about the CPUID or full Revision data than is used to identify them is available, so I don't know how many physically different Cores are on Socket M2. However, no matter what it uses, for practical purposes, the final user would not ever difference them.
The TCaseMax value real deffinition isn't massively understanded. It can't be the maximum temperature than the Processor may run at as the Hardware shutdown feature, the Processor last resort to save its own life before reciving physical damage due high temperatures, is activated at around 125°C, but there is no other convincing explanation.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information