Increase font size
Topic Title: Athlon Fx 57
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/09/2006 09:15 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/09/2006 09:15 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
jostlingjim

Hey People

Not sure if this has been posted before as i am a new member but need to no some info that not even AMD seem too no i have searched the website and been in contact with them on the phone!

I need to know:

1.number of instructions executed each time
2.number of ALU's
3.number of FPU's
4.number of registers
5.Side bus technology

if any one could help id be very grateful or if any one could point me in the right direction

Cheers

JP
 01/09/2006 10:55 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Greyhound

First off, you need to be aware that all K8-class processors (i.e. Athlon 64, Athlon 64 FX, Opteron, etc.) share the same architecture, regardless of product-line or model.

Architecturally, there is no difference between an old 130nm SOI, 754-pin Athlon 64 3200+ and a brand-new 90nm SOI, 939-pin Athlon 64 FX-57 or even an Opteron 854 (90nm SOI, 940-pin) as far as the number of Execution Units (ALU/FPU), Registers, etc. is concerned.

Of course, all of this is effectively doubled for dual-core parts as you get two full-fledged K8-class cores on a single die, each with their own execution units, registers, caches, etc.
QUOTE1.number of instructions executed each time
There's no official information regarding this that I'd be aware of.
However, most unofficial sources suggest that a K8-class core can process up to 9 instructions per cycle.
See HERE for reference.
QUOTE2.number of ALU's
Three (3).
See this document' ">http://www.amd.com/us-en/asset..._architecture_WP_2.pdf, Figure 1 (p.3) for reference.
QUOTE3.number of FPU's
Again, three (3).
See above link for reference.
QUOTE4.number of registers
16 GPRs (General Purpose Registers)*
16 128-bit XMM Registers*
8 64-bit MMX Registers
8 x87 Registers
1 EIP/RIP Register
1 EFLAGS/RFLAGS Register

*All 16 GPRs and XMM Registers are only available in Long-mode (full 64-bit mode with 64-bit O/S). When running in Legacy or Compatibility mode, only 8 GPRs and 8 XMM Registers are available.

See this document' ">http://www.amd.com/us-en/asset...nd_tech_docs/24592.pdf, section 1.1.2, table 1-2 (p.4) for reference.
QUOTE5.Side bus technology
AMD 8th-Generation ('K8-class' processors do NOT have a Frontside Bus or System Bus in the 'classical' sense anymore as they have an on-die (i.e. integrated right onto the processor's core) memory-controller.

As far as the connection between the processor and the rest of the system (excluding memory which is connected directly to the processor via its own dedicated path) is concerned, a Hypertransport-Link is used for communication.

On 939-pin processors such as your Athlon 64 FX-57 for example, this Hypertransport-Link is clocked at 1000MHz (physical clock - it also uses a DDR-technology, enabling it to transfer twice the amount of data per clock-cycle, which results in an effective 'clockspeed' of 2000MHz).

See this document' ">http://www.amd.com/us-en/asset...nd_tech_docs/31411.pdf, section 2.5.1 (p.14f).
Also see my Guide HERE' ">http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=55881, if you'd like a more detailed explanation.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information