Increase font size
Topic Title: Dual Channel RAM
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/14/2006 06:53 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/14/2006 06:53 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
agentbaf

Hi

I am looking at a complete overhaul of my PC. I am going to go PCI-Express and AMD 64x2 processor.

My question is about using dual channel ram with the AMD 64x2 processors.. A friend of mine said that you cant use Dual channel ram with the current Athlon 64x2's but that a new processor is being released in June to support Dual Channel RAM.

Can anyone confirm whether i can use Dual channel now or do i have to wait for a new prcessor? Thanks.
 05/14/2006 09:20 AM

Author Icon
majmac01

The X2s (like all AMD 64s) in the 939 socket configuration have ALWAYS been dual channel.
What your friend may be confused about is DDR vs DDR2 RAM. ... But that story has NOTHING to do with dual channel!!
 05/16/2006 07:31 AM

Author Icon
varianiv

Agreed. Dual-channel memory modules themselves are kind of a gimmick, but dual-channel memory technology (from the CPU end of things) is not.

What is basically meant is that you have two separate channels from which you can pull information out of memory. For example, take my system, which has 2x512MB of memory. One stick is located in channel A, and one is in channel B. This allows my processor to read from either channel (in this case, either stick) according to where the data is located, in theory doubling my memory bandwidth.

A1 [========] <--stick one in channel A1
A2 ----------------- <--no stick in channel A2
B1 [========] <--stick two in channel B1
B2 ----------------- <--no stick in channel B2

Like majmac01 said, this has nothing to do with DDR2, which will be in use by AMD's upcoming line of processors in the new socket AM2.

As far as buying dual-channel memory goes, they do sell it in "dual-channel kits", though it is not entirely necessary to do so, so long as the brand, type, and specifications match up exactly on each stick. For this reason, however, along with the fact that you will probably get a better deal by doing so anyways, I would recommend buying your memory in matched sets.

Hope all this helps.

-------------------------
AMD Opteron 165 CCBBE (2.7GHz @ 1.35v)
DFI CFX3200-DR (07/28)
Kingston HyperX DDR500 (3-3-3-8-1T)
Asus Dark Knight Radeon 4870 1GB
Audigy 2
2x 74GB Western Digital Raptors in RAID0
500GB SATA-300 WD Drive
CoolerMaster RealPowerPro 850W
NZXT Zero full-tower case
Windows XP Pro SP2
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information