AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Heat sink compound on processors.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/11/2006 01:51 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/11/2006 01:51 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
jelly man

My friend just purchased an Athlon 64 3700+ processor from tiger direct. The package came with the seal already opened on one side. The processor did not have the square of heat sink compound that I have seen on other retail packaged processors. Don't all the newer processors individually packaged for retail sale have this square of heat sink of heat sink compound now? Is this an already returned processor? I want to know before we use it so I can return it if it's used.
 01/11/2006 03:51 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
bvchurch

QUOTE(jelly man @ Jan 11 2006, 10:51 AM)My friend just purchased an Athlon 64 3700+ processor from tiger direct.  The package came with the seal already opened on one side.  The processor did not have the square of heat sink compound that I have seen on other retail packaged processors.  Don't all the newer processors individually packaged for retail sale have this square of heat sink of heat sink compound now?  Is this an already returned processor?  I want to know before we use it so I can return it if it's used.
[right][snapback]591416[/snapback][/right]

First welcome to the forums.
If this processor came in an AMD retail box with an AMD genuine sticker on it then yes it will have a grey square of thermal paste on the bottom. If not there is something not right here, and I would return it to Tigerdirect. However if not in a retail box, a tray cpu, for example that does not come with a standard heatsink fan then you will need thermal paste.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information