AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: is fx 2p/4p possible? is opteron/fx better for me?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/20/2004 03:11 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/20/2004 03:11 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
tspeakerfortdead

hello, i am building a new system for the sole purpose of:
encoding divx videos (lots of them)
uharc (the processor-intensive archiving program)
hosting following the servers: 3 http, 3 pop3, 1 ftp, 1 bittorrent tracker
a minimum of 1Tb hard disk space, in 200 gig drives, in raid config

the most important one of those is the divx encoding; i currently run a 2400+ overclocked to 2400Mhz (the max my board supports), and an overclocked geforce2 with 64mbram. i have i also have 512+256mb ram sticks (ddr, i think 3200), and i cannot encode fast enough.

my new system will have:
radeon 9800 aiw 256mb
m-audio revolution 7.1
lots of ram (amount depends on the mobo)
either athlon fx or opteron (s)

first question:
can you build a 2p/4p fx system? i KNOW there are 2p (and there may be 4p, i dunno about that tho) boards that will support fx, but from my understanding they only support them in 1p config; so what is the max processor number for fx's?

second question:
is there a 4p opteron mobo with an agp slot or a slot that will accept agp? if not, is there a 2p opteron mobo that can use an agp videocard?

third question:
which is better for me: opteron or fx? i know that fx is supposed to be a "cinematic" processor, whatever that means, but opterons have (to my understanding) larger caches, which will (again, to my understanding) aid in my video encoding, archiving, and serving; also, even if fx is better, if fx only comes in 1p config, i assume a 4p opteron would be better.

tertiary question:
does anyone have any advice on whether i made a mistake on my video card or sound card? (i want the aiw and not the new radeon cuz i need the in/out features of the aiw)
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information