Increase font size
Topic Title: Tweaking CnQ?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/31/2004 06:31 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/31/2004 06:31 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
caliden

I was just wondering - I've been tweaking my processor to see if I could get it running a little cooler (shuttle systems seem to get a little hot), and to my amazement I found that on the Cool and Quiet 800mhz setting, I could take the voltage down to <0.9v and still have a perfectly stable system. That was more than 0.4v less than the CnQ setting.

Needless to say the temperature was much better.

I had similar savings with the other settings (9x and full speed), and so I was wondering if anyone had a program that tweaks the CnQ settings at boot up to save me doing it manually.

This made a massive difference to me under full load - when encoding a video file for several hours, or playing games, the CPU used to be getting to up 70 degrees or so. Now it's 58 at the most. Idle, it's 36 where it used to be 48.

-------------------------
A64 3200+ on S754 Shuttle System (Clawhammer 1MB). 1GB DDR400 CAS 2.5 Memory, SATA 120GB HDD @ 7200rpm.
GeforceGT 6800 Graphics / 256MB and a massive copper heat pipe cooler that I had to cut parts out of my case to fit in....
 07/31/2004 01:58 PM

Author Icon
ninjastyle

Are you sure that the 70 degree reported temperature was correct? The auto shut down point for A64 is 70 degrees, so your machine should have been automatically protecting itself if the temps were reported correctly. There has been a lot of mis-read temps with A64 CPU's and various mainboards recently, and I'm wondering if this is the case here.

07/31/2004 07:14 PM

Author Icon
caliden

Interesting! I thought they were rated upto about 74 (that's when the high fan kicks in on my motherboards "smart" setting).

Does anyone know about the shuttle motherboards and reporting errors?

As I write this, I've set my settings to 10x (the full multiplier for my chip) and 1.325v (gets unstable below three at 10x). I think that all chips are unique, in terms of their power requirements as an artifact of the manufacturing process. If this is true, then it'd be lovely to have a ulility that analyses the stability of a cpu at various voltages, and with some rebooting (of course) could test different CnQ multipliers and modify the settings accordingly.... Would beat doing it manually

-------------------------
A64 3200+ on S754 Shuttle System (Clawhammer 1MB). 1GB DDR400 CAS 2.5 Memory, SATA 120GB HDD @ 7200rpm.
GeforceGT 6800 Graphics / 256MB and a massive copper heat pipe cooler that I had to cut parts out of my case to fit in....
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information