Increase font size
Topic Title: cooling questions, Amd64 & K8V
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/28/2004 10:51 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/28/2004 10:51 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
robprime

[SIZE=14]hello,
I've just built a new system, my first, and I have a few questions about some of the cooling options I've found. I have an Antec SLK1650 case,350 watts, an Asus K8Vse Deluxe motherboard, an AMD Athlon64 3000+, 1gig Kingston ram, a Lite-on 16x Dual DVD burner, and an ATI AIW 9600xt. I'm running Win98se. It seems to be working fine, but I've used a Thermaltake Venus12 heatsink/fan instead of the stock AMD part. I've taped the heat sensor to the underside of the heatsink, as per the instructions, and plugged the sensor into the fan and the fan into the motherboard cpu fan pins. I've also plugged the power supply fan into its spot on the motherboard. The 120mm case fan has no control wires.
It's my understanding that the stock Amd sink/fan would be temperature controlled by the Cool n Quiet technology if it was enabled and set up properly. But I see now in the Asus manual, chap 4-20, that this requires an Amd sink/fan with a monitor chip. Is this true? Will this Cool n Quiet not control the Thermaltake unit? Or does the heat sensor take the place of the monitor chip and Cool n Quiet will run the thing? Asus says to use their Q-fan technology to run a non-Amd fan, but I don't know if they are referring to sink/fans that have no sensors.
And, speaking of Q-fan, is it supposed to vary the speed of the power supply fan, or was that motherboard connection just for detection purposes? Can Q-fan and Cool n Quiet both be run at the same time? I know Q-fan is Asus equipt. but you guys seem to know know your stuff here, so I thought I'd ask.
OK, and what about that software cooling that I saw in the Asus Probe thing? Cool utility, by the way. It had two options, Always software cool, or Only when CPU overheats. I'm going with the overheat option unless there is a reason why I shouldn't. Actually a third option was to select neither. What exactly does software cooling do? Skip cycles if it's too warm or what? Does it impact throughput if left on all the time?
So, those are my questions. Sorry to be so longwinded but I need to know this stuff. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Rob.

10/28/2004 11:20 PM

Author Icon
GripS

I'm using a stock HSF on an AMD643000+. Because my motherboard doesn't support the 'quiet' part of cool and quiet, my fan speed never changes. So i'm pretty sure it's mainly up to which motherboard your using and not necessarily the fan. Sorry, but that's all i can give you there.

As for Q-fan. From other threads i've read here it completely shuts down the fan until the cpu reaches a certain temperature. Kinda like the way electric cooling fans work on cars.

-------------------------
AMD Opteron 170 \ DFI UT nf4 Ultra-D \ evga 7600gt \ 2gb (2x1gb) G.Skill pc4000 HZ \ NEC 3550a DVDRW \ WD Raptor 150gb \ Seagate barracuda 80gb \ Mitsumi floppy \ OCZ powerstream 520watt
 10/29/2004 12:32 AM

Author Icon
Missile Maker

You can operate C&Q with the Venus 12 as long as you have the HS fan that comes with it pluged into the CPU fan connector on the K8V SE deluxe Mobo, and you have the thermal sensor placed as you describe. Make sure you install the C&Q S/W from the CD that came with your Mobo. Install the processor S/W driver via the WIN Device Manager, i.e My Computer/Properties/Hardware/Device Manager/click on the processor icon, then select install driver and point the Browse option to the driver on the Mobo Cd. Enable C&Q in the BIOS, set ACPI 2.0 Support to [No], and set ACPI Support to [Enable].
Set Q-Fan to Off.
The power fan (mini 4 pin) connector on the Mobo that you plugged your Antec PSU fan controller into (Not the 12V Square ATX 4 pin connector! will sense the temp and load conditions of the Mobo and adjust the Power supply's fan speed versus temperature and load. If your Antec has dedicated fan connectors (my Antec 480 True Blue has two - labeled case fans only), then plugging case fans into them will control fan speed just like the PSU fan.
Reboot, go into windows power management. If your running WIN98se, you'll see a new tab labeled Cool & Quiet. Go in and click the performance combo list and set to Automatic Mode.
You should be up and running. Go into Asus Probe and check temps and fan speeds. Note, the Asus Bios probe doesn't support the PSU fan speed control of Antec PSUs, so it may indicate that the PSU fan is below minimuums and start beeping at you. Check to make sure the PSU fan is running, then switch that monitor to off (i.e. uncheck the box).
Don't know about S/W Cool, don't have that feature in my version of Asus Probe.
Open the C&Q Dashboard Utility (should be in your programs menu). You will see the CPU frequency, and the CPU core voltage. Note: CPU speed will be about 40% of your CPUs max clock speed. It will throttle up when it needs to to open windows, run programs, etc. Leave it open on your desktop, and you'll see it throttle. Monitor temperatures with Asus probe periodically to make sure CPU temps and Mobo temps remain cool during operation.
Sorry for the long winded answer.

3700+ Zalman CNPS9500
DFI LP nF3 250GB
2x512 OCZ DDR400 ELPR2
6800GT AC nV Silencer 5
2X80GB 1x100GB in JBOD
Antec TB 480W
Lian-Li V1100
 10/29/2004 10:11 AM

Author Icon
robprime

[SIZE=14]Thanks for responding, guys.
OK, Here's what I've done so far.
Q-fan disable
C & Q enable
ACPI enable
ACPI2 disable
C & Q s/w installed, set to auto
Probe installed
S/W cool set to overheat
Temps set to 60c, 10 sec
Fans set to 600 rpm, 10 sec
Voltage polls, +- 10%, 10 sec
You were right about the power supply rpm not being detected, it reads 0. Why is that, I wonder. Probe version 2.22.04
Couple of little issues, though. The readme on the motherboard cd says to set ACPI2 to enable, doesn't say anything about ACPI. Should both be enabled or is it one or the other?
Other little issue. I don't see a processor icon on the Device Manager's main list, but under System Devices there is a Processor Support entry. Is this the correct one?
Gen tab- Device is working properly
Driver tab- Microsoft 4-23-1999
Driver file details- MS filever 4.10.2222, C\Win\Sys32\Drivers\Update, and C\Win\Sys\VMM32VXD(ntkern.vxd)
And, just checking, are the new drivers on the install cd- explore, drivers, amd, (3 files, win2k-me,win xp, readme). The Win2k-Me would apply to me, I think. I'm probably being overly cautious here but I don't want to screw this up.So far the machine is running ok, once I discovered that I REALLY needed that miniport driver and installed it.
It's sitting there idling now @ 28c/82f, fan @ 2177. I haven't done anything really demanding yet where I could keep an eye on the temps. I want to get everything set up correctly first.
Anyway, I appreciate your help here, I just need a little clarification.
Thanks, Rob

10/29/2004 04:27 PM

Author Icon
Missile Maker

Sounds like you've got it.
If you set the APCI 2.0 to enable, it seems this also throttles fan speed down to 0 until CPU temperature hits a threshold of 51C. I have a Thermaltake Silent Boost K8 HSF, so even when it's running max at 2700 rpm, theres only 21 dB of noise - i.e. it's very quiet. By the way, the SB K8 is actually a Venus 12 but with a different fan and fan housing. If your Venus 12 runs noiser because of the higher rpm speed, you might want to enable APCI 2.0 tables. You'll have to see what the effect is.
I'm running WIN XP, so under the Hardware/Device Manager pane, there is an icon of a processor. When I click the + button, it trees to another picture of a processor with the name: AMD Athlon 3200+.
If your C&Q seems to be running fine, and your temps are o.k., I wouldn't worry about. The driver your pointing too for WIN98 SE is the correct one. There is a read me file on your Mobo CD, which tells you how to install it. It may be that you install it differently than you do for WIN XP. And it may be that you've already installed it, but check out the read me file. It won't hurt to reinstall it, because if it is already installed, it will either tell you, or just write over it.
Happy computing.
MM

3700+ Zalman CNPS9500
DFI LP nF3 250GB
2x512 OCZ DDR400 ELPR2
6800GT AC nV Silencer 5
2X80GB 1x100GB in JBOD
Antec TB 480W
Lian-Li V1100
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information