Increase font size
Topic Title: Athlon 64 3800+ Single Core to Dual Core
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/08/2007 08:55 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/08/2007 08:55 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
jphagan

I have an HP Compaq SR2030NX desktop with an ASUS A8M2N-LA motherboard. The M/B is "custom" made for HP (cannot find it on ASUS website). The HP name for this M/B is "Naos-GL6". It has an AM2 socket with an Athlon 64 3800+ (single core) installed.
I would like to know if the single core CPU can be replaced with a dual core CPU.

Thanks.
 01/31/2007 07:02 PM

Author Icon
varianiv

Your motherboard *might* support dual-core CPUs, though it may require a BIOS update. My suggestion would be to call HP tech support and see if they can tell you what processors are supported. I would assume that your system would support any processor you could have ordered with that specific system, though the safest thing would be to check with HP's tech support.

Hope all this helps.

-------------------------
AMD Opteron 165 CCBBE (2.7GHz @ 1.35v)
DFI CFX3200-DR (07/28)
Kingston HyperX DDR500 (3-3-3-8-1T)
Asus Dark Knight Radeon 4870 1GB
Audigy 2
2x 74GB Western Digital Raptors in RAID0
500GB SATA-300 WD Drive
CoolerMaster RealPowerPro 850W
NZXT Zero full-tower case
Windows XP Pro SP2
 02/01/2007 07:41 AM

Author Icon
Xtreeme

Yep, and what do you plan to use the DC for? 3800+ is 2.4ghz its fast already I know I got one. DC isnt gonna make your games faster. Least not in the lifespan of s939! Maybe when am3 is here DC will be the first thought on game makers minds. But right now its purely a after thought "if we can, if we get to it, if there is enough demand". Most are ellecting to stay single till more PC users have DC. Right now majority are single core users.

Now if you encode, run databases, compile software etc etc. Its worth it. If not its more bragging rights. DC also uses more power and runs hotter typically less you get a low watt version which costs more.
 02/07/2007 02:43 AM

Author Icon
varianiv

Xtreeme is right about everything he said. Personally, I absolutely love my dual-core. And I'm never going back to single-core. Ever. When you finally do make the switch, you will probably feel the same way. The biggest benefits you will see will be in programs that are multi-threaded, such as some of your media encoders and whatnot. Some of these programs will show a ridiculous performance increase. For example, on my single-core 3400, encoding a DVD image used to take, say, about an hour. On the Opteron, even overclocked to a measly 2.4ghz (only 0.2ghz higher than the 3400), the encoding operation for the same DVD image took only 15 minutes!

Other than the multi-threaded advantage, you also have the ability to multitask like an insane person with ADD... just like me But seriously, dual-core systems do have the ability to run a LOT more applications simultaneously than would normally be possible on a single-core system. Even with several processor-intensive applications running at the same time, task switching is more or less instantaneous, and it is quite difficult to load the system enough to actually slow down desktop performance. In short, when you finally do make the switch, whether now or later, you will probably be just as addicted as the rest of us dual-core junkies

-------------------------
AMD Opteron 165 CCBBE (2.7GHz @ 1.35v)
DFI CFX3200-DR (07/28)
Kingston HyperX DDR500 (3-3-3-8-1T)
Asus Dark Knight Radeon 4870 1GB
Audigy 2
2x 74GB Western Digital Raptors in RAID0
500GB SATA-300 WD Drive
CoolerMaster RealPowerPro 850W
NZXT Zero full-tower case
Windows XP Pro SP2
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information