Increase font size
Topic Title: Athlon 64 X2 6400+ driver question
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/01/2008 11:33 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/01/2008 11:33 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
halo131

I was looking at the file section for my new CPU, the dual core optimizer and all that, and I came across this file: AMD Athlontm 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver Version 1.3.2.0053 for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 (x86 and x64). I was trying to figure out if this was necessary because in the description for the file it says:

"Allows the system to automatically adjust the CPU speed, voltage and power combination to match the instantaneous user performance need. This package is a user friendly localized software installation of the driver designed for end-users. This driver supports AMD Athlontm 64 X2 Dual Core processors and supports future quad-core upgrades on Windows XP SP2 and Windows Server 2003 SP2 x86 and x64 Editions."

Is this something that is necessary for the chip to run correctly, being that it is an actual driver for the processor, or is this more something you would want if you run stuff like Cool & Quiet? It seems to me that I would want my chip running at the settings that I have it at and not having it automatically adjusted for what I'm doing on the computer, but maybe that's how it's supposed to work?

I just want to make sure I have the most recent and best drivers and everything for my new system.
 01/01/2008 03:14 PM

Author Icon
Methious

If you haven't installed the processor driver then your using the generic one from windows. The one windows uses works but can cause stability problems as it's an older driver (depending on your windows update status). I always install the newest processor driver, and the dual core optimizer. I forgot the processor driver on my new M3A x2 6400 build last week, drove me crazy, every time I hit heavy load in video games it'd get funky. Finally figured out I had never installed the processor driver, installed it and my gaming problems went away.

I'd recommend installing it to be safe.

-------------------------
Asus M3A X2 6400 Black Box
4 Gig Mushkin DDR2 800
2 Raid 0 Array Xp Pro/Vista Dual Boot
Corsair 620w PSU
Gforce 8800 GT 512 Alpha Dog
X-Fi Extreme Audio Logitec 140w Dol 5.1
Ultra Grid Case
 01/02/2008 03:49 PM

Author Icon
halo131

So stuff like the CPU speed and voltage and all that is supposed to be adjusted by the driver depending on what you are doing on the computer?

Alright thanks, I'll download it then.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information